Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Hammerhead or Broadside?
Old 10 Apr 2009, 19:16   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Hammerhead or Broadside?

I am playing a 2000pts game on Tuesday against Space Marines.

I don't know what he is using but it will include a Chapter Master, a Librarian and at least one Drop Pod.

I usually take three Hammerheads in a 2000pts game because I like the mobility but was considering taking two Broadsides with two Shield Drones instead of one of the Hammerheads ( they are the same pts).

What do you think?

Roland
Old 10 Apr 2009, 19:26   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: Hammerhead or Broadside?

Broadsides can not be destroyed by one lucky shot.

For 2000 I would take 2 Hammerheads and a team of Broadsides with A.S.S. and 2 Shield Drones.

Watchdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Apr 2009, 19:33   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to razgriz_cipher

It depends on the rest of your list. The railheads will work well if you can use tricks and jump shoot jump battlesuits behind them. The drop pod could be a problem if it contains a meltagun for the hammerheads. The disruption pod can make the hammerhead a lot more survivable form long range antitank like lascannons. It should matter on the list though.

@watchdog. A vindicator actually can with a lucky large blast and all get wounded. They are still vulnerable to instant death like from a vindicator.
Old 10 Apr 2009, 19:48   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Yes, Doctor Wu, but if you allow an unharmed Vindicator within 24" of your Broadsides, you well deserve the pie plate. :P

I meant one shot, like one Lascannon or Krak Missile.

And yes, D-pod is a must. I almost consider it literally hard-wired to my vehicles.

You can also improve the survivability of the Broadsides if you add an Iridium Plated Commander with two more Shield Drones. That makes the whole unit have a 2+ Save, with the four Drones having a 4+ Invul.

Old 10 Apr 2009, 19:58   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

If I take two Broadsides and two drones can I spread them out so that there are two drones between the B/S which means they can be 6" apart so a large blast templete can not get them both?

Roland
Old 10 Apr 2009, 20:05   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by StaffordGames
If I take two Broadsides and two drones can I spread them out so that there are two drones between the B/S which means they can be 6" apart so a large blast templete can not get them both?

Roland
It does not matter which models are under the template. Spread them out to avoid all of them being under that pie.

You are free to spread them out as you wish, as long as they are 2" of another model from the same unit.If you have 2 Broadsies and 2 Drones, the Broadsides can actually be slightly over 8" apart:

B-2"-SD-2"-SD-2"-B

B-Broadside
SD-Shield Drone

Remember, the flying bases of the Drones have to be taken into account and they are wider than 1".

Old 10 Apr 2009, 20:21   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Lash is still a problem with that strategy so it will not work against chaos. Then comes the problem when cover is entered in you may not see the enemy if the fire lane is not wide enough so you are losing effectiveness. Also the problem with that set up is if one drone dies you are out of coherency.
Old 10 Apr 2009, 21:46   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
You can also improve the survivability of the Broadsides if you add an Iridium Plated Commander with two more Shield Drones. That makes the whole unit have a 2+ Save, with the four Drones having a 4+ Invul.
Why would you do that? You already have a 2+ armour save and you can get A.S.S. for less points.

Yes I think two hammerheads and a squad of two or three(I think three is pushing it) are a good choice against your opponent. Make the broadsides take out the tanks with the help of the hammerheads and once that is done pie plate his ass with the hammerheads. Versatility is good
Mandalorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Apr 2009, 22:49   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandalorian
Quote:
Why would you do that? You already have a 2+ armour save and you can get A.S.S. for less points.

Yes I think two hammerheads and a squad of two or three(I think three is pushing it) are a good choice against your opponent. Make the broadsides take out the tanks with the help of the hammerheads and once that is done pie plate his D'yi with the hammerheads. Versatility is good
Read the bolded part of the quote. Personally, I try to take a team of two broadsides in addition to a hammerhead. The last HS slot is reserved for sniper drone teams, which I like (even though they are hated by most Tau players).
LOL=== []\
L \ \
\_________\
| |
-------------/
leatherback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Apr 2009, 22:55   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by leatherback
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandalorian
Quote:

Yes I think two hammerheads and a squad of two or three(I think three is pushing it) are a good choice against your opponent. Make the broadsides take out the tanks with the help of the hammerheads and once that is done pie plate his D'yi with the hammerheads. Versatility is good
Read the bolded part of the quote. Personally, I try to take a team of two broadsides in addition to a hammerhead. The last HS slot is reserved for sniper drone teams, which I like (even though they are hated by most Tau players).
Yes but then you are losing the mobile firepower capbilites of the commander and wasting a lot of points. sniper drones can actually be useful but they are dead if they get charged and are not resilient close up. Wound allocation sort of messes them up if you get 4 wounds on you and the spotter dies all of your drones go bye bye. Other than that the sniper teams are really useful.

The other problems is broadsides are really expensive money wise. The broadsides can be taken but they lack the pie plate against horde armies. I prefer hammerheads for my play style.