Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Crisis suit tactics
Old 10 Apr 2009, 01:29   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to pepin0329
Default Crisis suit tactics

As of now I only have 1 3-man Tau Crisis team, usually used as the commander and his bodyguard. I typically play them as Helios' or Deathrains in a mechanized force, deep striking by objectives to clear them of enemy, but they die fairly quickly. I was wondering if it would be more beneficial to have them take point on my pushes to objectives, head up the flank, etc. Thanks!
A Tau's best friend (with the exception of the codex).
pepin0329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Apr 2009, 01:47   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Crisis suit tactics

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepin0329
I was wondering if it would be more beneficial to have them take point on my pushes to objectives, head up the flank, etc. Thanks!
That's how I use mine.

In my experience:
DS-ing should be reserved for one-hit wonders like the Sunforge(? the TL FB one) as you cannot make use of the best self-defense XV-8's have.

Or try to minimize the amount of enemy units able to shoot at said DS-ing unit (either by shootin' 'em dead first, distance away, or TLOS blockers).

Those are the best ways I've kept my DS-ig suits alive effective

Oh yeah, you could also provide a juicier target/more threatening one. Like a major advance the turn you get to DS (w/RH and XV's)
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Man They Call Jayne
Yeah Ahab, your not nearly dirty minded enough.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silk Spectre
Mass Effect Two please have my babies.
Help people at the hungersite.com
Shasel_Ahab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Apr 2009, 01:55   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to pepin0329

My friend suggested that, and I just wanted to make sure you guys agree. Thanks!
A Tau's best friend (with the exception of the codex).
pepin0329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Apr 2009, 02:06   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I agree with pepin as I'm not a big fan of deep-striking crisis suits. Their biggest strength, and why they are so much more expensive for the firepower they carry than most other things in the game, is their assault move. You lose that in the deep strike. If you want to risk it there is some merit in deep striking suits with weapons that are most effective at short range (basically flamer, plasma rifle, and fusion blaster), but anything with missile pods or burst cannons should deploy normally or walk on.
knightperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Apr 2009, 02:34   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to razgriz_cipher

I think it is dumb to deep strike suits as well. You get put out in the open with it and you cannot move away.
Old 10 Apr 2009, 04:55   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Well, if you're feelin' lucky (and have a Pathfinder 'fish in LOS) you could try DS-ing close to terrain or other units. Afterall, I think you have like a 1/3 chance of rolling a hit. (There's 2 hit symbols on a 6 sided scatter die, right?)
Quote:
Quote:
Old 10 Apr 2009, 05:41   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shasel_Ahab
Well, if you're feelin' lucky (and have a Pathfinder 'fish in LOS) you could try DS-ing close to terrain or other units. Afterall, I think you have like a 1/3 chance of rolling a hit. (There's 2 hit symbols on a 6 sided scatter die, right?)
Yes, it's 1/3 hit per roll. Odds of getting a hit with reroll is 5/9 (just trust me on the math; I do know what I'm talking about), but even if you hit you can't spread out unless you don't fire. Even with no-scatter deep strikes, I usually lose a good portion of the unit in the next shooting phase to a nice armor-ignoring blast weapon like a plasma cannon or vindicator pancake. I once had an opponent kill 7 members of a 9-model stealth suit and drone team with a small blast plasma cannon by centering it on the first model and grazing the ones surrounding him!
knightperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Apr 2009, 06:06   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to xShaperx

In my Crisis List (11 XV-8's and 2 XV-88's in a 1750), I typically use them as a fast-moving battering ram. They charge up a flank and eliminate whatever is in front of them, while the 60 Kroot cause problems on the other side. Fire Warriors advance at their leisure up the cetner.

Crisis Suits in bulk are a scary thing.

Shas'ui Kel'shan Mont'au Mal'caor: The Terror Spider of Kel'shan

www.myspace.com/nathanhotdog
xShaperx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Apr 2009, 07:23   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by knightperson

Yes, it's 1/3 hit per roll. Odds of getting a hit with reroll is 5/9 (just trust me on the math; I do know what I'm talking about),
I will trust you - because I have all the mathematical ability of a small deceased hamster

I learned my lesson on deepsriking expensive suits in 4th edition, when I lost three (3 man) Suit units to deepstrking mishap in a single battle. The Battle was going very very well for me untill I decided to bring in my Suits (500 points worth of a 1500 point army) at which point with pinpoint accuracy I managed to scatter each one into an enemy unit (even though there was only 1 unit in range each time) and lost them all without them ever firing a shot in anger! Doh!

Only Deepstrike expensive builds if you have the Pathfinder Devilfish onhand for the reroll option (although 5th ed has made Deepstriking safer too - you are not automatically destroyed).

Or if you have a Monat TL Fusion tank suicide suit, or a very cheap throway TL Flamer suit/suits (one of my favourite builds). These work best when Deepstriked, and if you get on target they can cause massive carnage!
Old 10 Apr 2009, 22:09   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFishing
Or if you have a Monat TL Fusion tank suicide suit, or a very cheap throway TL Flamer suit/suits (one of my favourite builds). These work best when Deepstriked, and if you get on target they can cause massive carnage!
Important note, that is just slang: THEY ARE NOT, I REPEAT, NOT, MEANT TO BE SACRIFICED.

Rather they only have one, very damaging, purpose which (once achieved) makes the suit less of a loss after being pasted by opposing guns. Less guys, we can't really afford to throw away our suits. Even a Heatwave (which incidentally killed rather a lot of a Nob Mob in one of my recent games; FNP, T4, 4+ armour save and all 8)).

P.S I'm not arguing with Gonefishing (I think he agrees anyway)... and I'm not gonna try to argue with him even if he meant they were throwaways...
Quote:
Quote: