Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Building a balanced Farsight Tourny List
Old 07 Apr 2009, 22:58   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Building a balanced Farsight Tourny List

Hi guys, I posted a bit back about starting out with my Farsight army and have since expanded my cadre and won a few games. Now I'm ready to try playing against new opponents in a friendly tournament starting next week.

I wanted to get some advice on just what I should bring for 1750-2000 point tourny (they haven't decided on the upper limit yet).

I planned on bringing:

Farsight & 7 Samurai - extreme emphasis on annihilating 1 squad per turn. I had great success with 4 TL flamers (coupled with either MP/PR + MT) and 3 Fireknives.

3 groups of 12 FW - 2 with transports

1 Commander with AFB/CIB + Iridium Armor + Stim + DC & 2 shield drones --- an effective Shield'O, jumps from squad to squad to add wounds and dissuade fire on valuable units (vulnerable FW)

2 Broadsides with ASS and SMS. Team leader carrying DC and shield drones.

Stealth team, 3 strong with leader carrying DC & marker drones and all having markerlights (essentially 5 markerlights on a mobile relentless platform with stealth).

That's about it, a combination of tactics I've tried out and enjoy, will they work against more than just my space marine friend?

The benefit to this setup is that it absolutely chews up hordes, both at range and in closing. I even had some limited success destroying light vehicles with flame alone. Should I keep the split firepower, or just go with 7 fireknives?

Bavius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Apr 2009, 04:17   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to xShaperx
Default Re: Building a balanced Farsight Tourny List

Well, for one, it's an illegal list technically.

When using Farsight, a XV8 Crisis Team must be chosen as Elites, the same way a Fire Warrior team is 1+. So, you need to include at least one Monat in the Elite slot to use Farsight.

Other than that......you've gota lot of killy in one place. If you think the rest of your army can survive without more support, I say go for it. Because this unit is just going to be rampaging around from squad to squad.

Shas'ui Kel'shan Mont'au Mal'caor: The Terror Spider of Kel'shan

www.myspace.com/nathanhotdog
xShaperx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Apr 2009, 14:27   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Nice catch! I'm sure army builder would have let me know when I sat down to finalize, but now I get to sock another unit in. Maybe a tl mp group for light armor.

The thing I love about farsight is the sheer intimidation factor it had on my friend. The first game I used all 7 bodyguards though, I didn't have a suicide kit and they were sweeping advanced! Seriously funny lesson to learn.

Glad no one seems to have any criticism beyond my oversight on the crisis suit requirement. I'll let y'all know how I do.
Old 08 Apr 2009, 14:33   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Boneguard Send a message via Yahoo to Boneguard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bavius
Stealth team, 3 strong with leader carrying DC & marker drones and all having markerlights (essentially 5 markerlights on a mobile relentless platform with stealth).
This is also illegal. Only the Team leader/Shas'vre can have markerlight.

Quote:
1 Commander with AFB/CIB + Iridium Armor + Stim + DC & 2 shield drones --- an effective Shield'O, jumps from squad to squad to add wounds and dissuade fire on valuable units (vulnerable FW)
Quick info. Farsight counts as your 1+Commander (it was FAQed in 5th ed). So you don't really need him. You could us him as your Elite slot 1+ Crisis suit. Just make him a Shas'vre and you don't even have to change his wargear at all.

Quote:
3 groups of 12 FW - 2 with transport
You are sending them naked like that ??? Upgrade one to shas'ui (he will get a free Bonding knife) and at the very least put a Disruption pod on your Devilfish.

I Invite you to join my collective story and to add to it.

My ascension to GODHOOD
Boneguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Apr 2009, 18:15   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

I had no idea he could be 1+ HQ. Where can I verify this just in case it comes up from someone in the tourny? I don't doubt that it's potentially true (makes sense to me) but I've only got my codex.

D-pods are for sure. I'll go back over the list once I get a solid point size. It looks like I could save a ton of points on the commander and beef up the dfish & fw.

You're right about the stealth, it's just be 3 markerlights unless I went with drone controllers + marker drones (big foot print and cost). Thanks for pointing it out.
Old 08 Apr 2009, 18:29   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via Yahoo to Hairy Grim

Quote:
I had no idea he could be 1+ HQ. Where can I verify this just in case it comes up from someone in the tourny? I don't doubt that it's potentially true (makes sense to me) but I've only got my codex.
Here you go, it's at the start of the 2nd page.

Hope you've included a Failsafe Detonator somewhere in that 7 Samurai of yours, don't want to lose the entire squad to a sweeping advance again.
Old 08 Apr 2009, 21:51   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

That's scary, i would not want to face that with my own tau, and it's a lot of killy in one place...

Which is bad.
One (hitting) battle cannon and you had better hope you brought some sheild drones/sheld generators, otherwise that's a lot of dead battlesuits. Just to warn you...

Typhon,
"They shall be my finest Cannon Fodder, these men who give themselves to me. Like clay I will mold them and in the furnace of war they will become cracked and broken. They will be of tissue paper and whimpy muscle. In tissue paper armor I clad them and with the mightiest flashlights they will be armed. They will be touched by every sort of plauge or disease to help further make them unhappy, all sickness will blight them. They will have almost no tactics, strategies, but lots of machines so that they can atleast stand up to a foe in battle. They are my tar pit against the Terror. They are the bulk of Humanity. They are my Imperial Guard and they will know much fear!"

A fortress circumvented ceases to be an obstacle. A fortress destroyed ceases to be a threat. Do not forget the difference.
- Attributed to Leman Russ

My armies may sleep, but big guns never tire.

Surrender - or die.
Typhon is offline   Reply With Quote