Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Stealth field and commander
Old 07 Apr 2009, 13:01   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Tausand sun Send a message via Yahoo to Tausand sun
Default Stealth field and commander

if a commander joins a stealth unit does he get the benefits of the stealth field as well?
"The Imperium has abandoned us brothers! And these blue-skinned "saviors" seek only to enslave us. Follow me and march to freedom so we might transform the galaxy into a peaceful place for all sentient species!" -- Commander Alexander of the 88th Aldarian Phoenix Regiment
Tausand sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Apr 2009, 13:27   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: Stealth field and commander

Hmmm, the Codex says that only a unit wholly equipped by Stealth Generators gains the benefit of forcing the opponent to roll for spotting range. It also says that any Drones controlled by a model with a Stealth Generator gain the protection too.

So I believe no, actually the Stealth unit loses the benefits, except for the +1 Cover Save for Stealth Universal Special Rule, which is not marked as being lost if an IC without it joins.

Watchdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Apr 2009, 13:36   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Boneguard Send a message via Yahoo to Boneguard

Indeed. If a commander join a unit with Stealth field, they lose it.

So never, ever put your commander with your stealth suit or sniper sdrone, unless it's Shadowsun.

I Invite you to join my collective story and to add to it.

My ascension to GODHOOD
Boneguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Apr 2009, 15:10   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Sorry i might be being a bit thick but do stealth suits grant stealth i dont see that special rule anywhere except in the name.
Darth Da Myr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Apr 2009, 15:51   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Look for Stealth field(shield) generator in the armoury. This is the wargear that greant stealth.

The suit properly speaking doesn't offer it.

My ascension to GODHOOD
Old 07 Apr 2009, 16:00   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchdog
So I believe no, actually the Stealth unit loses the benefits, except for the +1 Cover Save for Stealth Universal Special Rule, which is not marked as being lost if an IC without it joins.
Stealth Suits.... despite the name, don't actually have the Stealth USR. No, seriously. They don't.

Stealth Field, besides being not a USR, does not include the stealth USR as far as I know. It just counts as being in cover when assaulted, which now does... absolutely nothing because the core rules changed about that stuff in 5th (and even if they hadn't everyone and his mother has frags)

The field is also a little weaker-than, and vulnerable-to the Vindicare Assassin version, which does halve distance rolled if at night (the stealth field generator for our suits specifically states it doesn't do that), and said assassin also rolls x5 instead of x3.

However, since he's A) very unlikely to be shooting at the suits (he's got better stuff to aim at), and B) even if he did that would be at worst one dead suit or (in my case Gun) drone, they ARE most excellent for flushing him out all over the walls.

That being said, I love stealthsuits (not that I'd mind a little extra range), given their points-per-pulse-shot ratio on a stealth-fielded, jetpacked, 3+ suit.
Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Apr 2009, 16:59   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchdog
Stealth Suits.... despite the name, don't actually have the Stealth USR. No, seriously. They don't.

Stealth Field, besides being not a USR, does not include the stealth USR as far as I know. It just counts as being in cover when assaulted, which now does... absolutely nothing because the core rules changed about that stuff in 5th (and even if they hadn't everyone and his mother has frags)
What are you talking about? And Where do you get that(bolded part)?? I'm sorry, but your post is so circumvoluted I have no idea what you are talking about.

Stealth suit doesn't inherently have the Stealth USR. Yes

Stealth suit have a stealth field (or is it shield) generator whose effect is described in the armoury. short version, it allow the usit to remain hidden as a always active night-fighting rules to be fire at.

My ascension to GODHOOD
Old 07 Apr 2009, 17:48   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

sorry. kind of a major bout of insomnia these past two days. Kinda went on a tangent.

For the bold part I was referring to the "stealth suits count as being in cover for purposes of assault" part of the stealth field generator rule. Take marines for example. Devastators, bike squads, scout bikes, attack bikes, veterans (both), assault squads, legion-of-the-damned, techmarines, scouts, tacticals, the HQs, basically anything not a dreadnought (but that's moot as you can't do anything to its front armour with stealth suits, all of these have frag grenades and ignore the initiative penalty for assaulting them.

Swooping hawks and striking scorpions are an eldar example too I believe. Banshees as far as I'm aware go on 10 anyways, and IG are supposed to be getting grenades naturally also in their upcoming codex.

sorry if I caused any confusion.
Nova is offline   Reply With Quote