Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Stealth Teams
Old 07 Apr 2009, 00:49   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Stealth Teams

I just got a stealth team for the first time :P and I was wondering if I should give the leader a burst cannon or a fusion blaster?
Old 07 Apr 2009, 00:57   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Stealth Teams

If you don't know, I'd say magnetize.

Personally, XV-15/25's are for BCs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Man They Call Jayne
Yeah Ahab, your not nearly dirty minded enough.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silk Spectre
Mass Effect Two please have my babies.
Help people at the hungersite.com
Shasel_Ahab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Apr 2009, 01:05   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

Fusion Blaster is very nice(espiecailly when it is outflanking) but it may interfere with the rest of the squad having burst cannons with a range of 18inches.

I think it is your call; Are your stealths going to be used for anti-tank or anti-infantry? They can be a good harasser(im not even sure that is a word) unit and can be a road block if need be of oncoming assaulting units. They do have a 3+ armour save which is nice. A down side to them is there points cost. 90 points for a 3 man team when fire warriors can do the job as well as them(maybe even better in rapid fire range).
Mandalorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Apr 2009, 01:17   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

the Burst cannon is a little iffy with the stealth field: at 18" (and the other side CAN just advance within that after you've jumped back, remember), rolling 6+ on 2d6 is enough to spot them and fire away.

The Fusion Blaster takes this to 12" if you chose to fire it, or you're just standing there...
that's a 4+ to spot, by the way.

if you could take more than 1-2, that would be one thing (tank hunters but relatively safe from the heavy bolter two feet over), but as is, I don't use it on mine.
Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Apr 2009, 01:20   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I say burst cannon for a purely mathematical reason. The average roll for spotting the stealth suits is 21". Therefore, you want to stay outside of that. With a fusion cannon, you can stay 18" away from the enemy (range of weapon + 6" assault jump). With the burst cannon, you can stay at 24". One is inside the danger zone, one is outside of it. On that note, I highly recommend equipping them all with a drone controller and single gun drone, as it increases the effectiveness greatly.
LOL=== []\
L \ \
\_________\
| |
-------------/
leatherback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Apr 2009, 01:21   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Lonely Tau

Stealths!

I have personally always loved Stealth Suits and found them to be really good when you just want to have that unit that ends up being absolutely perfect for disruption missions, or even just to have as a fun unit all in all. For a full squad at 180 points, you can put out a surprisingly scary amount of firepower, even if in most peoples opinion it is a little bit of a waste of points with all of your other options (Crisis Suits, Hammerheads, etc.)

I have only ever used Stealth Suits as that massive distraction squad, and as such I have never used the Fusion Blaster option, because it would detract from the ability of the squad to be an incredibly scary dice throwing unit. Plus, even with their Burst Cannons, the back armor of vehicles is more often than not only AV10, meaning that although your chances aren't the absolute greatest of killing a vehicle, you will definitely manage to get a little bit of a crippling effect on the annoying little git.
Originally Posted by coolmule
I wear a y'xa'uuk pretty dress, suggestively tilt my tankard of beer, and it's all "bet this" and "persuasion that". Mianko wakes up, grabs a photo, and everyone's mesmerized. What the y'xa'uk do I have to do to earn affection????
Hey baby, what're you doing this weekend? :-*
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolmule
Tiwaz is my new forum favourite.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravager Zero
This is the kind of man who has to shave out eyes and a nose every morning before work. :P
Lonely Tau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Apr 2009, 03:27   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by leatherback
I say burst cannon for a purely mathematical reason. The average roll for spotting the stealth suits is 21". Therefore, you want to stay outside of that. With a fusion cannon, you can stay 18" away from the enemy (range of weapon + 6" assault jump). With the burst cannon, you can stay at 24". One is inside the danger zone, one is outside of it. On that note, I highly recommend equipping them all with a drone controller and single gun drone, as it increases the effectiveness greatly.
Don't forget the enemy can move before firing in a lot of cases. like those 18" shuriken catapults, and so on, so the moving back often just means you're around 18" when they fire back, not 24
Old 07 Apr 2009, 04:01   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Don't forget the enemy can move before firing in a lot of cases. like those 18" shuriken catapults, and so on, so the moving back often just means you're around 18" when they fire back, not 24
* facepalm * I've been using this logic for so many months, without ever realizing this. Of course, if your facing, say marines, they will have the choice between moving 6" and not being able to shoot, or attempting to fire from 24" away.

With that in mind, if you don't have any pathfinders and are looking to try out markerlights, Stealth marker teams are a good option.
2 x 'ui with drone controller and 1 marker drone each
1 x team leader with markerlight, drone controller, and 1 gun drone

This way, you can stay 42" away from the enemy and still be effective, protected by the stealth field. As the max range to see is 36", you are very well protected indeed.
LOL=== []\
L \ \
\_________\
| |
-------------/
leatherback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Apr 2009, 04:24   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

if playing apocalypse (hey, if you've got the spare bottles and cans for it), the Armoured Interdiction Cadre, and Mirage infiltration team formations are nothing short of awesome.

3+ tanks + 50 points = d3+1 markerlight counters (yea, free hits) to put on things within command tank's LOS every turn.

1 devilfish + 1+ pathfinder team (with their own devilfish = all devilfish in formation (so how many pathfinders and mounted FWs did you take?) + 100 points = all gun drones on the fish swapped for marker drones for free, AND the 'stealth devilfish' puts everything within 12" in a stealth field.

Vicious.
Old 07 Apr 2009, 04:37   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to xShaperx

I'd say always take 1. You always want to have answers for the unexpected. I wouldn't take 2 unless you were dedicating the squad to Tank Hunting or something. But yeah, having one Fusion in a squad makes them versatile, or at least flexible.

Shas'ui Kel'shan Mont'au Mal'caor: The Terror Spider of Kel'shan

www.myspace.com/nathanhotdog
xShaperx is offline   Reply With Quote