Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

tau list with no markerlights, can it work?
Old 06 Apr 2009, 07:30   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default tau list with no markerlights, can it work?

I am thinking about trying out this new fangled "Ninja Tau" and came across a question, are pathfinders, or markerlights in general needed in this type of army?. the way I see it a Ninja tau army may only get a few rounds markerlight shooting, alot less vs their roll in a static army. so are pathfinders more of a luxury item in a list like this where the points you save by not buying them can get you another crisis team or hammerhead?
yamdrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Apr 2009, 12:03   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Boneguard Send a message via Yahoo to Boneguard
Default Re: tau list with no markerlights, can it work?

Yes it can work. I sometimes play small list with no markerlight: It just a bit harder since you cannot reduce cover save or increase BS.

However if you do not want to go for pathfinder you got 2 uption:

Stealth suit with shas'vre with a markerlight and 2 marker drone (very fluffy for ninja), or Fire warrior shas'ui with markerlight.

I Invite you to join my collective story and to add to it.

My ascension to GODHOOD
Boneguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Apr 2009, 12:19   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

I played mech tau when i first started with out marker lights, this was back in 4th edition when cover didn't seem like such a big deal, but I can't see it as being to difficult to pull off in 5th at all.
ShasO Corvid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Apr 2009, 23:23   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boneguard
or Fire warrior shas'ui with markerlight.
This would have the same problem as Pathfinders though, right? I mean; both are heavy weapon carring infantry, both should be coming on late, and both are (most likely) embarked in a DF...

I think a no ML list is do-able. You would need to make up for it with something though, 'cause even at 700pts I bring ~2 Marker Drones
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Man They Call Jayne
Yeah Ahab, your not nearly dirty minded enough.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silk Spectre
Mass Effect Two please have my babies.
Help people at the hungersite.com
Shasel_Ahab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Apr 2009, 01:35   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to Wild

The suit lists I've been running have been pretty much marker-less. In every case, the battles came very close, with only a few exceptions where the Drones were needed. Right now, I'm sending only 2 Drones with the Stealth Team to bring the hammer down.
Old 07 Apr 2009, 02:39   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to LiinSivi Send a message via Yahoo to LiinSivi

I think the thing that matters most when deciding on markerlights is what kind of weapons are you loading your Crisis with. Low ap weapons are obviously going to be affected by cover more than high ap rounds. After doing some mathhammer and taking actual combat experience into account I'm now more inclined to take high RoF setups like Deathrain's or Firestorms as apposed to my standard Burning eyes even when fighting heavy infantry.

I think a list without markerlights can do fine in 5th, but with such a great asset like that and with all the disadvantages that 5th brought... I'd rather have options.

"The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other poor bastard die for his" --George S. Patton
LiinSivi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Apr 2009, 03:55   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I'm currently running a 2000 point list with no markerlights (well, two, but those are for the six man stealth team). The way I see it, low AP weapons are the ones who need the high BS and reduced cover save. Therefore, you must increase the BS some other way (put the weapon on a commander) and get rid of the cover save (be too close to the enemy for them to receive a cover save).
Markerlights are good, but we need a durable-yet-affordable way to take them. Pathfinders are too weak and static, while stealth marker teams get very expensive, very fast. Something I would like to see is a marker drone option for some vehicles.
On a similar note, I think that adding the "sensor array drone" from IA:3, getting rid of the 0-1 restriction, and possibly upgrade its ability (perhaps letting it take that free shot at infiltrators, but if it hits, instead of generating a markerlight hit, the infiltrating team must make a moral check at -1 for each additional markerlight hit).

Lastly, if you are playing Ninja, I highly recommend you take a 4 man pathfinder team, if only for the fish. After all, being able to re-roll the scatter dice in a mainly deepstriking list is always nice.
LOL=== []\
L \ \
\_________\
| |
-------------/
leatherback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Apr 2009, 05:55   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

It can be done. I run around 1000 pts. of Tau on a regular basis, and every single time I've taken Pathfinders at that point level (playing hybrid static Tau), the bulls eye is painted on their backs on Turn 1. Every Whirlwind/long range template weapon is turned on them and their 'Fish. I swapped them out for some extra Fire Warriors and Kroot. It works alot better. At low point levels, the lack of markerlights can be overcome by putting units down with high rates of fire so you can shoot more to compensate for the lower BS.

Leatherback makes a good point. In Ninja Tau, I don't really see how you could get away with it, especially if you're heavy on the Deep Strike side of Ninja. I didn't take them the first time I played Ninja, and I wished sorely that I had them whenever my Crisis suits scattered into some impassible terrain. The mishap dice were rolled, and it came up "3". My Chaos opponent smiled cruelly as he placed them two inches away from his Khorne Bezerkers.

Bottom Line: If you're going Ninja Tau, bring them. If you're over 1.5K, bring them. Anything else, you can leave them at home and compensate for them.
Military tactics are like unto water; for water in its natural course runs away from high places and hastens downwards... Water shapes its course according to the nature of the ground over which it flows; the soldier works out his victory in relation to the foe whom he is facing. Therefore, just as water retains no constant shape, so in warfare there are no constant conditions. He who can modify his tactics in relation to his opponent and thereby succeed in winning, may be called a heaven-born captain.
- Sun Tzu
RogueFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Apr 2009, 07:22   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

okey thanks for all the replies, I forgot about the pathfinder fish being able to reroll the scatter for deep striking units, so maybe a four man team might be worth it.
yamdrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Apr 2009, 09:54   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I have only used them once and that was in a 2000pts army when I had nothing else to make up the points!

I can't be bothered using them and found that I was wasting a lot of ML hits by not using them!

I would prefer more firepower which does the same job.

You can get a lot of extra firepower for the price of an eight man Pathfinder squad and DF.

Roland