Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

I can't stand fighting Necrons
Old 05 Apr 2009, 22:20   #1 (permalink)
Vau
Kroot Warrior

Default I can't stand fighting Necrons

Here's the dilema: I play mostly in a small club and it seems every time I play this one person who plays Necrons, he will simply park his whole army (barring a Monolith, which is important later) inside buildings and will never lose more than 2 or 3 warriors by the end of the game. It've got no problem with Necrons, I know what to do against them in most cases. However, this particular person is fine with resorting to cheesy tactics and occasionally unsportsmanlike behavior (selective memory of rules and the like, not outright cheating but close).

In a recent game, 4 players with 2 to a team and 1500 points per team, myself (Tau) allied with Chaos Marines and the Necron player allied with Guard, this Necron player simply parked his 30 warriors in a gigantic 3-story bunker with his Lord (with ressurection orb) standing on the top level. The rest of the game went as normal, the Guard player advances his conscripts into some ruins who then get flamered and charged by a Chaos Dreadnaught and my Fire Warriors shoot and get shot by an infiltrating team of Imperial Snipers. Over on the Necron's front though, all strategy has left the game as volley after volley rains down on the Necrons and one happens to fall over. I of course have nothing which can charge inside and drive him out of there, and my ally ran a shooting heavy list without any assault units other than the Dreadnaught on the other side of the table.

Later on, his Monolith arrives deep striking and lands right beside my two Broadsides (the only things other than the already occupied Dreadnaught which have a good chance of destroying it) and Particle whips one to death. The other fires and unsuprisingly fails to destroy the Monolith. The game is basically over at this point as The Guard player's tank blasts my advancing Devilfish and embarked Fire Warrior team to death and my Chaos ally has no more than 5 Noise Marines left standing.

What can I do to dislodge someone who just parks his entrie army inside a single bunker (which I think he built himself specifically to do this) and stays there, essentially invulnerable? I've tried pouring large numbers of shots in, I've bombarded him with markerlights, and I'm now considering trying that Forgeworld fusion cannon for Hammerheads just to get some of those damnable things killed.
Your head is the most important part of you, and so it only makes sense that you give all your soldiers helmets. If you should wear one when you ride a bicycle, you should wear one when you fight a vast, unending intergalactic war 38 millennia into the future.
Vau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Apr 2009, 22:43   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: I can't stand fighting Necrons

Assault his buns with three full squads of Kroot (20 per squad), 12 Kroothounds and a Shaper armed with a Pulse Carbine. Give the Kroot a 6 up save for a point each. This 250 point unit (rough number) will swamp the bunker. You extra attacks will outweigh the Necron advantage of a Toughness four. Send the Kroot hounds in second behind the Kroot or along side them.

The cost of the models will be a bit stiff. You may want to try a proxy squad of models first.

Old 05 Apr 2009, 23:07   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

The pulse rifle has a significantly longer range than the basic Necron gauss rifle, so you can always advance into the six inches of difference and let the full weight of fire generated by your army fall on whatever is holding a gun that can actually reach and harm you.

Your broadsides should be set up as separate heavy choices and placed far enough away so that while they can still support each other, a single deep striking unit won't be able to bag two for the price of one.

When it shows up, bombard the monolith till it dies.

Finally.. When he attempts to re-deploy his warrior squads, make sure that all moves legal in accordance with the rules.. the game should be over by the time he gets them all out of the door.
"Over the centuries, mankind has tried many ways of combating the forces of evil... prayer, fasting, good works and so on. Up until Doom, no one seemed to have thought about the double-barrel shotgun. Eat leaden death, demon..." ~ Terry Pratchett
ParadoxRifts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Apr 2009, 23:18   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

if you get into a position where some armour gets too close to your broadsides, I suggest equiping them with advanced stabilization systems, which allow them to move and shoot.

Funny side story (not really related) I was fighting my bro who has eldar, and he reserved his grav tank, i, having forgotton about is tank, had my broadsides near one corner of the table,(about 4-5 inches from the edge) when along comes mr. gravtank, attempting a tankshock assault. I attempt to do a death or glory but two of the broadsides fail, immediately jumping out of the way. The third stands his ground and stoicly sights his railguns on the incoming armour. He fires one shot, which punches right through the armour, and hit a fuel line. The tank detonates in a spectacular explosion, sending red-hot shrapnel pinging harmlessly off my teams armour. My brother was MAD.
Old 06 Apr 2009, 00:00   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Against static Necrons, Sniper Drone Teams really excel. Not only do they outrange most of their weapons, but they can bypass their armor and use the markerlight to get rid of that pesky cover save. The other units against static necrons that I would highly recommend are pathfinder teams and seeker missile launching platforms. Broadsides are a must if you are facing a monolith (I say, take 2 broadsides for every enemy 'lith).
LOL=== []\
L \ \
\_________\
| |
-------------/
leatherback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Apr 2009, 00:19   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Well considering 2/3 of games use objectives I would love to play against a player like that. Your best bet is some outflanking kroot. To get him into CC, and while he squads are tied up move forward and outshoot him. As was stated before, your basic fire warrior can outrange him, so use that to your advantage. Then you want to concentrate your fire as best as you can to make every squad take as least one ld check every turn, that will increase your chances of getting him out there.

USAFTACP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Apr 2009, 01:09   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Cover saves don't really matter if his armour isn't pierced. You could actually outnumber him (18pts a 'cron warrior O[sub]o[/sub]0)

I say flood 'em with long range shots and Kroot. I haven't used the latter but the former has lead to my continuing undefeated record against the evil undead robots >... (disclaimer; I've only played them 3 times...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Man They Call Jayne
Yeah Ahab, your not nearly dirty minded enough.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silk Spectre
Mass Effect Two please have my babies.
Help people at the hungersite.com
Shasel_Ahab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Apr 2009, 01:18   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Send a message via AIM to Tauruler1

With 5th edition rules, you can fire at that bunker directly. According to the rule book, the bunker has an armor value of 14. A markerlight hit plus a few good rail gun shots should demolish that to a ruin. That will grant them a 4+ cover save. markerlights however forces them down to a 5+ cover save. The Pulse weaponry coupled with Railguns and Ion cannons and such shall whittle them down to size in due time. Coupled all that with a mass Kroot swarm and placing vehicles next to dangerous terrain as to ruin the monolith if it shall land via deep strike shall make your next game all the mor edifficult for those stinken' necrons.
Old 06 Apr 2009, 02:16   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I second the kroot charge option. If you beat a necron squad in close combat, which a large kroot squad or two can do, they don't even get to attempt We'll Be Back; they just die like anything else. I think kroot get the upper hand with a 50% advantage, and I know they will win with a 2 to 1. If it's a big squad that's going to get the first swing, charge him with two units, even if one of them are battlesuits or drones. necron warriors are about as bad in melee as Tau are, and he's only going to get one or two swings per model before the kroot tear them up with 60 or more swings.

If you're good at eyeballing the distances, then outranging them with fire warriors will also work. If the range is between 24 and 30 he'll have to come out of the bunker to shoot at you, and that's a free round of fire. If he stays in the bunker then he doesn't get to shoot at you at all.
knightperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Apr 2009, 02:32   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by knightperson
Inecron warriors are about as bad in melee as Tau are
Except the 3+ armour save, the WBB that they get when they aren't killed by power weapons/ID'd (or thanks to Res-Orbs; even if they are all dead, Insta-gibbed, and power weaponed down), the WS 4, the str 4.

Yeah. Tarpit anyone?

'Crons are the same WS and T as Kroot's WS and S. So 4's and 4's with 3's and 4's to prevent? 60/2=30, 30/2=15, and then there's like a 70% chance they'll save, so 5 die. Then WBB (let's be generous and say only 2 pass). 'Grats! Like, 30 Kroot just killed 3 Necrons!

DISCLAIMER: It's math, so there's human error and random chance to affect the outcome. DROP THE PITCHFORK !!!

EDIT: I'm just pointing out the incredible resilience of the'crons
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Man They Call Jayne
Yeah Ahab, your not nearly dirty minded enough.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silk Spectre
Mass Effect Two please have my babies.
Help people at the hungersite.com
Shasel_Ahab is offline   Reply With Quote