Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

13th company help?!
Old 04 Apr 2009, 22:20   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Tausand sun Send a message via Yahoo to Tausand sun
Default 13th company help?!

I don't really know where this goes but basically I play tau, and my local game store owner plays lots of armies but he mentioned that he plays 13th company, and that it "pwns" not his exact words but basically along those lines. what I want to know is, what exactly IS the 13th company (IG, Marines?) and what tactics do I as a Tau player use against it?
"The Imperium has abandoned us brothers! And these blue-skinned "saviors" seek only to enslave us. Follow me and march to freedom so we might transform the galaxy into a peaceful place for all sentient species!" -- Commander Alexander of the 88th Aldarian Phoenix Regiment
Tausand sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Apr 2009, 22:41   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: 13th company help?!

It is space wolves, without any tanks. Much more expensive (points-wise). From the 13th black crusade book. Every model in the army, besides bikes, has the scouts rule. So they get a free move before the beginning of the game, and may also all outflank. If your mobile tau, I don't really see why you should have too much trouble. Personally, never thought of them as being too competitive.
Originally Posted by The Strange Child
Sigged.
He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss,the abyss gazes also into you.
~Friedrich Nietzsche
Grindgobble Witherfume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Apr 2009, 11:56   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Space Wolves 13th. company. 10,000 years ago, in the opening battles of the horus heresy, the Space Wolves fell upon Prospero, the homeworld of the 1000sons and they razed it to the ground. In a final act of desperation, and to save his knowledge and the last of his warriors, their Primarch Magnus the Red opened a rift into the warp, and they retreated into it.

Russ saw the rift, looked to the 13th company, and said "fetch". so they chased after the 1000sons into chaos itself, and have been lost to imperial record for 10,000 years. During the Eye of Terror campaign a few years back, when abbaddon led lost of chaos united against cadia, there was a force seen snapping at his heels. it was the warriors of the 13th company, still fulfilling their duty to russ after 10,000 years, and still fighting the warriors of chaos upon their own twisted and warped worlds of chaos.

the warriors of the 13th company are basically warriors without peer. they have been cut off from their imperium for 10,000 years and in that time have had no reinforcements, no replacements, no fresh gear. so the warriors that are left pwn even the veterans of current SM chapters.as it happens, they've torn the equipment, weapons and ammunition of the fallen bodies of those they have slain, so they look like a mix between chaos/space wolves on the field.

they've so far stayed resistant to the taint of chaos through the curse of the wolfen which lets them walk and fight upon worlds that would drive any othe rspace marine (save the grey knights) insane in moments.

there is even a hint that Russ himself leads them! their index astartes article a few years back hinted their lords were vassals to an individual yet to reveal his hand in the conflict. factor that in, another clever little hint that the "wolf brothers", the supposed only successor chapter to the space wolves were in actual fact russ' chosen retinue, and the fact that the last sighting of Russ was him heading into the eye of terror you can make the argument russ himself is still around (the only loyalist primarch still alive and kicking!) and hacking his way through the eye of terror.

in terms of gameplay, they are an entirely on foot space marine army. their basic warrior is the equivelant of the hardest most elite warriors of the current space wolves (or any space marine chapter for that matter!) with 3 attacks basic. hell, their squad leaders, when given a powerfist and bolt pistol can get 5 powerfirst attacks on the charge, so they can tear apart squads on their own!

they have grey slayers as troops, and storm claws as elites (think grey hunters and blood claws, but with LOTS more attacks), bikers, long fangs, wolf lords, rune priests and chaplains. their signature unit is wulfen which are ws5 str5 fleet of foot (kinda) marines with lots of attacks. and they have wolves as fast attack.

the whole army has all the space wolf special rules, as well as scouts, and move through cover. you're talking about first turn charges for the most part. they sucked in 4th, but with 5th, they have been given a huge boost.

i'm building a 13th co. force myself, but the problem they have (and you should mention it to the gaming store owner) is that their codex is technically illegal these days. you have to give your permission to him to use them. personally, im using the chaos codex to represent them.

cheers!

"What warriors of men can stand beside the Space Wolves! The Sons of Fenris they are, hardened in the forge of their harsh world, eager for battle and honour. They are the grey warriors, ashen like the wolf, whose greatest joy is to hear the clamour of steel amidst the din of war. None can step before them, they are the first, proud in their strength and jealous of their renown. Through the storms of the warp they come, upon the very tides of terror, but of such dangers they are uncaring. They are the Space Wolves, the Undefeated, the bane of the Emperor's foes."
Deadnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Apr 2009, 12:29   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Tausand sun Send a message via Yahoo to Tausand sun

we're pretty casual down here, so it won't be a problem, besides i love the space wolves, I hate normal SM's but vikings rule!!!
"The Imperium has abandoned us brothers! And these blue-skinned "saviors" seek only to enslave us. Follow me and march to freedom so we might transform the galaxy into a peaceful place for all sentient species!" -- Commander Alexander of the 88th Aldarian Phoenix Regiment
Tausand sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Apr 2009, 13:42   #5 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer

One thing you really need to watch out for are Rune Priests. They have a Psychic Power called The Gate, which allows the Priest (and the unit he is with) to leave the board and immediately return via Deep Strike. This can be used to dump a monster combat unit right in the middle of your lines, or drop a Long Fang unit full of Meltaguns / Plasmaguns to blow apart a vital tank / squad.

During the EoT campaign, a member of my club built a 13th Company force. They can be insanely brutal if things go right. Do not, under any circumstances, underestimate them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Wargamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Apr 2009, 17:04   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

All space marine librarians can dump units now....

(\_/) this is bunny
(0.o) please copy and paste this into your sig and
'(__)' help him achieve world domination
Greater good or bust. is offline   Reply With Quote