Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Tau HQ halp
Old 04 Apr 2009, 22:15   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Tau HQ halp

Years ago, in time forgotten, My brother came home with a Spacemarine/Dark Eldar starter combo set. We sat down and read through the giant tome of rules, before assembling the squad and fighting a few 1 squad and skimmer battles. We both decided to build up our respective armies, but did not like Spacemarines nor the Dark Eldar. After some research, my brother decided to collect Regular Eldar. After some google image searches and browsing in a GW (with sales reps that were oddly not overbearing or annoying), I decided to futher the cause of the Tau'va, or 'Greater good' We each bought a few vehicles and units, built them and started painting. Then we both lost sight of it as it was buried with time.
So recently i found my half-painted Kroot and unpainted Fire warriors/dfish, and decided to pick it back up. I got myself the new codex, and checked out the nifty new stuff. 'Pihranna?' 'What sniper drones?' 'WHERE IS AUN'SHI?!?!'

Before i start buying, i want to know what my fighting force will look like, beginning with the commander.
So now the point of this post, What are the Pros and Cons of Commander Farsight, Commander Longknife(R'myr), and Commander Shadowsun? and how do they stack up against each other?
Old 04 Apr 2009, 22:46   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: Tau HQ halp

Farsight: The ONLY melee tau in the game now that we don't have Aun'Shi anymore. monstrous creature on a jetpack, massive retinue of suits. on the downside plenty of things you're used to taking are now 0-1, and he's still no marine chaplin or other true melee monsters.

Shadowsun: Two fusion blasters on one stealth suit? not bad. Good drones too. But she's nevertheless expensive and far too easy to instakill. Remember, the closer you are the worse the stealth field's protection, and she's hanging out at the 12" mark, when we're complaining 18" has gotten too close for regular stealths because of the extra movement and cover.

R'myr: 2-shot plasma at 24"? awesome. flechettes... er, okay but you still wanna keep him out of melee overall... shield generator, fine... but... honestly, its the lack of a second weapon that makes him not really worth it.

Regular commander: Cheaper, capable of pulling off almost anything the specials can at half the price, and if its TEQ you want killed, CIB+Plasma will tear them a new one.
Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Apr 2009, 23:04   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

What about the new Ethereal Aun'va? personally i think hes an onld fart on a grav-toilet. The lock must be broken cause he needs 2 people to watch the door and make sure noone walks in on him,

Why did they have to nerf Aun'shi? WHY?!
Old 04 Apr 2009, 23:17   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

... well.. you could take a regular ethereal, and pay 50 points for a third or more of your army to run off the table around turn 2, maybe 3

OR you could pay 205.

up to you really, but I always thought my army running off the table was a BAD thing. Or at least, the Necrons consider it a drawback, not a feature, and I'm pretty sure they're onto something there.
Old 04 Apr 2009, 23:24   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Well the solution for that is, dont die. and the two thirds that stay are fealrless arent they?
Old 05 Apr 2009, 00:03   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova
... well.. you could take a regular ethereal, and pay 50 points for a third or more of your army to run off the table around turn 2, maybe 3

OR you could pay 205.

up to you really, but I always thought my army running off the table was a BAD thing. Or at least, the Necrons consider it a drawback, not a feature, and I'm pretty sure they're onto something there.
I think thats the most elegant summation of the general uselessness of Ethereals and Aun'Va I have heard - Personally I agree in every possible way! - I would rather give my opponent the extra points to spend than have them in my army lol!

Seriously Major Tom...Dont do it....Dont even think about it - its the worse, most useless special character in any armies codex, just as the basic Ethereal is the worst basic Commander in any Codex.

You can't stop them from dieing.........they are too easy to kill - I mean really really easy! And when they do die, with Tau low leadership you can kiss your army goodbye. - The abilites they give dont outway the negative attributes you gain from taking them.

You wont find many Tau Vets that rate them or use them............If any!
Old 05 Apr 2009, 00:13   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

i want anyway. even if only for asthetic reasons. i dont want to have an army that is running all around and have a speecial character sitting on his behind. I mean comeon, what kind of example does that set?

But i still do want to have a suited character, and am completely undecided
Old 05 Apr 2009, 02:12   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I would strongly recommend the regular battle suit commander. He can do almost anything the others can do, and he is allowed to be used in battles of less then 1500 points.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyndmyr
Things I miss: Sane Anubis.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffin Archer
"So, what you're saying is that you need someone dumber . . . You may have come to the right place." -Col. Jack O'Neil
DemiGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Apr 2009, 02:24   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Well even with farsight you can't really expect a tau commander to be a melee monster, which is what many 'specials' are in other armies. So scratch that if that's what you were considering.

A regular battlesuit commander is cheap and very capable.

My one non-magnetised suit is a Shas'El in fact. Plasma/CIB/T.Array, Stim injector, HW Multitracker. 110 points while many HQ choices start NAKED (and without a jetpack though they can often buy one too) at 100! Just try and keep away from enemy HQs and their sicko melee.

*WARNING: NOT TWO GUN DRONES on a lone commander! majority armour and toughness would kick in and utterly screw him over!*
Old 05 Apr 2009, 07:14   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

A note about Shas'O R'Myr. His strength is not entirely in himself, but in his improved XV81/84/89 Bodyguards.

I look forward to fielding a Crisis with an SMS and TL Missile Pods. A missile launching monster. And the other one, with a Markerlight. Nice.

Watchdog is offline   Reply With Quote