Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Taking down IG
Old 03 Apr 2009, 08:02   #1 (permalink)
PNW
Shas'Vre

Default Taking down IG

Ok, so one of my friends has been building his IG army, and in my group i am the only one who hasn't fought him.
I'm looking at my list and talking to my friends about what he has, and it seems his army is based around heavy fire form his many Basilisks and Leman Russ tanks, as well as his swarms of Guardsmen (what a suprise). Therefore, my strategy will be to equip two of my Crisis suits with Fusion Blasters and Missile Pods while the other two will have Twin Linked Burst Cannons and flamers. Ideally, we will be on a map with heavy foresting around the edges and i will be able to move my Kroot up the side to engage his men while my Fire Warriors and Hammer Head focus on opening fire on his main fire base. My Stealth Suits will be used to harry another quarter , forcing him to divide his fire.
Does this sound like a solid plan, or does my lack of experience lead me astray?
What are your tactics for fighting the IG? I've talked too much trash to get my ass handed to me
Old 03 Apr 2009, 08:17   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: Taking down IG

If he places his Basilisks anywhere near side edges (up to 12"), outflank your Kroot and rip them apart in assault. A unit of 10 Kroot and 5 Hounds only costs 100 Points. No vehicle can survive 45 CC attacks thrown its way.

Watch out for snipers. They are the bane of our Suits with their Rending rifles. If possible swarm them with Kroot too.

Multiple unit assaults can block his infantry firepower (like heavy weapons teams), giving you time to deal with vehicles and other threats before having to take care of the infantry, or even making the Kroot Hounds eat his falling back units in Sweeping Advances.

Remember, our Pulse Rifles have excellent range and wound on 2s with no 5+ Save allowed. >

Watchdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Apr 2009, 09:02   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

If you ever get "close order drill" declared on you, well, besides the fact that I'm not entirely sure if that's even allowed anymore (its with the blue-coat planet where they all wear a dress uniform to an ork trenchfight, I forget the name)... Let them.

Two submunitions later the guy's down an entire troops choice.

Anyways, it'll probably be june when I play against the 5th ed guard, so I've no idea how that'll really be, but for now:

A pulse round has an 83.33% chance to kill a guardsman if it hits. This drastically drops to 41.66% if he's got carapace armour, and on average half your pulse shots MISS to begin with. Still, except for the front of a tank, pulse rounds will slaughter him.

Submunitions slay guardsmen. There's no ifs, ands or buts about it, and even if it scatters the number of guys a guy not worried about KP can bring means you'll probably be wiping out a squad somewhere anyways. Nearly everything he has gets insta-death and no armour save, so only the invulnerables have even a chance to survive 5/6ths of the time.

Gun Drones are cheap, deepstriking, fast, and perfect for harassing. A unit without a commissar or nearby source of leadership (yeah like that's gonna happen; IG only LOOK like their leadership is as bad as Tau. They've options to make sure its far better) may even get pinned, and if outflanking's out of the question, you can easily deepstrike them near a basilisk or the rear of a leman-russ, and pop the thing from there. 8 drones against AV10 will average 2 damage rolls, so at least he won't be firing.

For things-not-tank, the missile pod's your friend. Take down that pesky 4+ officer, the sentinel, the chimera, all those things you'd feel kinda bad(but shouldn't hesitate) about railgunning. A deathrain is cheap, probably carries a flamer to deal with the men, and will total all but the front on a russ with ease.

Just remember: point denial. His army's filled with cover now, so stay out of LOS and snipe away with SMS, Seekers, and every template you can field.
Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Apr 2009, 16:27   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I still think the percent thing ruins the surprise...

Anyways as said in simpler terms he has more than you but like you have stronger firepower mostly more endurant troops and longer range on a good few vehicles and general infantry.
Just stand back and shoot.
Your tactic is quite sound by the way
Old 03 Apr 2009, 18:01   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Unusualsuspect Send a message via MSN to Unusualsuspect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcius Fisher (Zechs)
I still think the percent thing ruins the surprise...

Anyways as said in simpler terms he has more than you but like you have stronger firepower mostly more endurant troops and longer range on a good few vehicles and general infantry.
Just stand back and shoot.
Your tactic is quite sound by the way
How does it ruin the surprise? You don't kill 83% of a Guardsman with every hit, you have a probability of killing 83 guardsmen for every 100 Guardsman you hit, and even that isn't likely to be true until you reach much grander numbers like 10000 guardsmen hit.

At best, it gives you a quick "about X guardsman will die if I shoot it with Y Pulse shots" estimate.
Old 03 Apr 2009, 18:38   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

If you have them outflank with massive Kroot squads. 20 kroot and 10 hound costs 200 points. They are large enough to engage multiple squads and the hounds will get 30 easy attacks first. Pluss the kroot are better at CC and will get 60 easy attacks at the same time as the Guards. Also as stated before they will decimate his basiliks if they can reach them. Remember if your squads are large enough you can engage multiple targets, which means you could potentially engage multiple basilisks and platoons. As for their survivability, you will likely win the CC and the gaurd will likely not fall back, meaning your kroot can't be targeted by the basilisks.

Otherwise heres some other suggestions:
1. thanks to TLOS if you can see any part of the basilisk, or anythin else for that matter, you can shoot them with your rail guns.
2.A commander with an ABFP and Cyclic Ion Blaster will be great against guards and will give you some extra range. (the ABFP is bassically a flammer at a range and a bigger blast)
3. Deep striking and outflanking are your freinds! The artilery can't hit you if you aren't on the board.

I think you have the begginings of an excellent strategum. Keep working on it and let us know how it turns out.

Thirty Seconds to Mars - Kings and Queens; Theme song of the Gue'vesa.
Fate13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Apr 2009, 19:10   #7 (permalink)
PNW
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fate13
If you have them outflank with massive Kroot squads. 20 kroot and 10 hound costs 200 points. They are large enough to engage multiple squads and the hounds will get 30 easy attacks first. Pluss the kroot are better at CC and will get 60 easy attacks at the same time as the Guards. Also as stated before they will decimate his basiliks if they can reach them. Remember if your squads are large enough you can engage multiple targets, which means you could potentially engage multiple basilisks and platoons. As for their survivability, you will likely win the CC and the gaurd will likely not fall back, meaning your kroot can't be targeted by the basilisks.

1. thanks to TLOS if you can see any part of the basilisk, or anythin else for that matter, you can shoot them with your rail guns.
2.A commander with an ABFP and Cyclic Ion Blaster will be great against guards and will give you some extra range. (the ABFP is bassically a flammer at a range and a bigger blast)
3. Deep striking and outflanking are your freinds! The artilery can't hit you if you aren't on the board.

I think you have the begginings of an excellent strategum. Keep working on it and let us know how it turns out.
Oh right, i totally forgot about the ABFP and CIB. I just got my first commanders earlier this week (i actually bought one commander box and a regular crisis suit, but the commander came with two heads so now i have two commanders), and the special issue systems have yet to play into most of my plans.
So do you think i should field one Shas'o with TW Fusion Blasters and a Missile Pod, with hard wired Multi tracker, and one Shas'el with ABFP and CIB and Targetting Array with a hard wired multi tracker? Then i could give my two member crisis team both Burst Cannons and Flamers with a multi tracker, for a balance of heavy anti tank and anti vehicle?
Old 03 Apr 2009, 19:12   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova
and on average half your pulse shots MISS to begin with. Still, except for the front of a tank, pulse rounds will slaughter him.
Bring Markerlights if you're playing 1K-1.5K+ (on this line of thought, what points limit?). More for higher. I've slaughtered hordes of Orks with only 1 ML hit per rapid firing FW squad.

The rest looks okay, you've got solid anti-horde advice (and anti-guard w/those Kroot tips, he probably won't be expecting a major CC offensive)

You could try some Firestorms, they're good infantry and light vehicle hunters. They're fairly cheap too...
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Man They Call Jayne
Yeah Ahab, your not nearly dirty minded enough.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silk Spectre
Mass Effect Two please have my babies.
Help people at the hungersite.com
Shasel_Ahab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Apr 2009, 19:17   #9 (permalink)
PNW
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shasel_Ahab
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova
and on average half your pulse shots MISS to begin with. Still, except for the front of a tank, pulse rounds will slaughter him.
Bring Markerlights if you're playing 1K-1.5K+ (on this line of thought, what points limit?). More for higher. I've slaughtered hordes of Orks with only 1 ML hit per rapid firing FW squad.

The rest looks okay, you've got solid anti-horde advice (and anti-guard w/those Kroot tips, he probably won't be expecting a major CC offensive)

You could try some Firestorms, they're good infantry and light vehicle hunters. They're fairly cheap too...
Most of our games we try to field everything we have, so it'll be around 1700 points (usually we just have the person with the smaller army add up everything he has and the other person just matches it as best as he can). My only issue is that i only have two marker drones and two baseless lights, and my friends tend to take the What You See rule very seriously, so i cant just tell them that my Fire Warrior Team Leaders have them.
Old 03 Apr 2009, 19:18   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fate13

Oh right, i totally forgot about the ABFP and CIB. I just got my first commanders earlier this week (i actually bought one commander box and a regular crisis suit, but the commander came with two heads so now i have two commanders), and the special issue systems have yet to play into most of my plans.
So do you think i should field one Shas'o with TW Fusion Blasters and a Missile Pod, with hard wired Multi tracker, and one Shas'el with ABFP and CIB and Targetting Array with a hard wired multi tracker? Then i could give my two member crisis team both Burst Cannons and Flamers with a multi tracker, for a balance of heavy anti tank and anti vehicle?
Your shas'o with TW fusion and missile pod is only going to do good if he deep strikes. Also, expect the rest of his army to open up on him and probably tie him up in assault if they are nearby.

VERY IMPORTANT:
With the new guard codex, hellguns are ap3. This is terrible news, HOWEVER his stormtroopers may only deep strike if he has a valkyrie.

Pray that he doesn't.

Oh, submunitions and kroot are your friend