Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Taking down IG
Old 04 Apr 2009, 02:40   #21 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to LiinSivi Send a message via Yahoo to LiinSivi
Default Re: Taking down IG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorin
Quote:
Originally Posted by henbobbleb

This is slightly off topic but isn't a monolith harder to kill then a land raider?

Not with a railgun, it isn't. Well you won't get the +1 to your damage rolls, but that's about it.

Back on topic, something one might also do is deep strike a buch of crisis suits with twin-linked flamers and target locks in the middle of several squads of guard and teach the kroot to eat their meat cooked. :P
I've downed dozens of Monoliths with my Broadsides and even one with a fusion blaster (it was a sight to behold). Living Metal only negates the additional D6 from melta weapons, it doesn't do anything to AP 1.

Edit: Thanks Gorin for watching out for me ;-)
(I've never done that before... in nearly 4 years...odd)

"The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other poor bastard die for his" --George S. Patton
LiinSivi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Apr 2009, 02:49   #22 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

no prob
Old 04 Apr 2009, 05:08   #23 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

There are 4 main guard killers IMO.
Firestorms: Verses everything
Hammerheads: Verses everything
Stealth Suits: Verses mass amounts of light infantry
Broadsides: Verses AV14 vehicles

Utilize these four things and you should be good.
Also, be sure to bring a couple gun drone squads (at least 6 to a team) and prepare to deepstrike them if your opponent brings Basilisks.

So to summarize, always take gun drones, Firestorms, and hammerheads.
If you are facing an infantry horde, drop some Firestorms for stealth suits.
If you are facing a tank company, drop some Hammerheads for broadsides.
LOL=== []\
L \ \
\_________\
| |
-------------/
leatherback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Apr 2009, 22:19   #24 (permalink)
Shas'El

I really wouldn't recommend bringing too many units close to the guardsmen. Rapid fire lasgun shots are not to be underestimated. I would hate to see what would happen to your crisis suits when you deepstrike within RF range and your opponent uses the order that gives an additional lasgun shot to everyone. Your best bet is to outmaneuver and mix CC with shooting. There isn't an army in the game that can outshoot the IG. They have outstanding leadership skills and really don't care how many bodies they lose.

I've seen a lot of players say submunitions will destroy him, with the ease of finding cover these days I don't think you'll find that to be the case. Your 180-point submunition will cause a few wounds yes, but less than half of those guardsmen will die.

I met a guy here who is new to 40k and picked Tau and is having a rough time against me because he is trying to deploy a fireline and out shoot me.

What I would recommend is bringing weapons that will negate saves from a decent distance. I think your SMS can do that? Not 100% sure. Marketlights are also your friend here. Remove that pesky cover save or make your units much more accurate.

My biggest piece of advice is to take out that command squad at all costs. I always use vox networks and standards in my lists and that makes me nearly fearless with being able to re roll Ld9. If you can find a way to eliminate his command squad then all you have to do is try to make each squad take as many Ld tests as you can. The folly of the command squad is that it only have 5 models in it, so drop those submunitions, as unreliable as they may be, all over his command squad. Outflank/deepstrike, whatever you can do to eliminate his leadership.

Another thing I would recommend is to ignore the LRBT's. They take way too much firepower to kill. Well, don't entirely ignore them, but certainly don't put them on as high a priority as most people do. They are mostly there for shock value and to soak up fire. Certainly take shots when you can afford them, but don't ignore the rest of his army just to take down those few tanks.

The real killer of the IG is the ridiculous amount of HW fire they can throw at you that is shielded by up to 9 wounds before it has to be removed. This will get much, much worse next month as the pointcost of not only guardsmen are reduced, but also their HW teams.

My standard infantry squad with an autocannon and vox will be 15 points cheaper. Taking into account the minimum FOC requirement you're looking at a minimum of 60 free points in every list. HW support squads are also substantially cheaper and with the platoon drill rule will be shielded by their other squads to get a 4++ while giving you nothing.

My last bit of advice is don't let him pick the engagement area. Never take an IG force head-on. Use your devilfish and JSJ to redeploy your forces at either a 45 or 90 degree angle to his main force. When he deploys he'll face everything forwards, and with so many infantry models it will be difficult for him to shift the facing of his army while still maintaining cover. If you can reposition most of your forces to his side, you'll get those valuable cover saves from his army having to fire through itself. At the very least if he does decide to attempt to move you have the freedom of not getting shot by HW squads for a turn or two.

USAFTACP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Apr 2009, 22:21   #25 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Tausand sun Send a message via Yahoo to Tausand sun

IG?? team of 3 broadsides and twin HHs= No more guard.
"The Imperium has abandoned us brothers! And these blue-skinned "saviors" seek only to enslave us. Follow me and march to freedom so we might transform the galaxy into a peaceful place for all sentient species!" -- Commander Alexander of the 88th Aldarian Phoenix Regiment
Tausand sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Apr 2009, 22:24   #26 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tausand sun
IG?? team of 3 broadsides and twin HHs= No more guard.
I would love to play against you.

Old 04 Apr 2009, 22:26   #27 (permalink)
Shas'El

I'd love to play period all the local stores lately I arrive to late or no ones there to play ....
"The Imperium has abandoned us brothers! And these blue-skinned "saviors" seek only to enslave us. Follow me and march to freedom so we might transform the galaxy into a peaceful place for all sentient species!" -- Commander Alexander of the 88th Aldarian Phoenix Regiment
Old 04 Apr 2009, 22:42   #28 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

One nasty trick i use with guard is cameoline, can be as easy to represent as painting camoflauge on guard soldiers.
Basically it gives the troops a cover save wherever they are, probably not a problem due to marker-lights but can be annoying as it reduces other things that marker-lights can do.

And watch out for out-flanking sentinels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piedmon
Phwoar.
manic-swede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Apr 2009, 22:52   #29 (permalink)
Shas'El

Cameoline doesn't give them a cover save, it simply improves any cover save they get from terrain or intervening models. And yes it can be a pain when you're trying to remove a squad of guardsmen from an objective when they've gone to ground and are getting a 2++.

Old 04 Apr 2009, 22:55   #30 (permalink)
Shas'El

2+ that's sick.... never had to deal with that.... my opponents do sometimes with my kroot though.... Never really found a use for kroot other than that. too slow and non shooty.