Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Stupid questions
Old 02 Apr 2009, 09:01   #1 (permalink)
PNW
Shas'Vre

Default Stupid questions

Ok, so i am kind of dumb, but i need help on a few things that may seem obvious to you, but i couldn't find the answer anywhere else.
1) Twin Linked Weapons, can they be fired along with another weapon if i have a Multi-tracker? For example, lets give my Sha'o a Fusion Blaster and Twin Linked Plasma Rifles and a Multi-tracker. Can he shoot both weapons in one turn, or do i have to choose one per turn to fire? The reason i ask is because in the Codex it says something about twin-linked weapons counting as two weapons, but i don't know if that is in regards to shooting or picking out upgrades so you don't choose two twinlinked weapons (eg twin linked Burst Cannons and twin linked Missile Pods) as well as a multi tracker.
2) Flechette Dischargers, Disruption Pods, and Decoy Launchers, can they be used multiple times or just once?
3) Flechette Dischargers, Disruption Pods, Decoy Launchers, and Targetting Arrays, do these actually exist for me to attach to my models, or am i expected to make them myself or just pretend they are there? If they exist, where do i get them?
4) Just exactly which upgrades for my Crisis Suits actually exist? I cannot find any Iridium Armour Plates or Targetting Arrays (are those the antennae on their heads?)
5) Can i only take EMP grenades if i use the stupid arm when i am making my Fire Warriors, or can i use the little soda-can-resembling grenades that come as bits? Or are those just Photon Grenades? Also, can grenades only ever be used once?
6) Extra Markerlights, where do i get them? I have two little things that i think are markerlights, but i don't have bases for them, and i need more since i don't have any pathfinders.
7) Hammerhead solid shot versus submunitions, can i use both in the same game? For instance, can i shoot a solid shot at a Land Raider one turn, then drop submunitions on his assault marines the next?
Thank you for any help you can give!
Old 02 Apr 2009, 09:13   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Stupid questions

1: if you use a Hard wired multitracker yes (consult battlesuit wargear). This doesnt count towards the limits as the multitracker does, so fear not twin linked weapons. That is why when you are configuring your suits to take into mind that you can fit two good weapons systems and get the best benifet for an extra investment. Or simplify things and go with one good weapon system and a supporting system. Or just a bunch of supporting systems.
2: can be used as many times as the situation calls for.
3.: There are forge world add ons if you really need to. Otherwise you could get away with a few of the upgrades. Seeker missiles, burst cannons etc... are hard to get away with though.
4. Target arrays and iridium armor, good question. I just say the target array is built into the system, as losing it to a stray bullet would ruin my targeting and make me useless. Iridium armor....Klkn MY ARMOR IS HEAVY, but sure can take a hit! some people might try to accentuate the armor through green stuff putty or an ork mentality by putting strategically located metal plates.
5. If you feel you need to, I like the grenades attached to my waist theory. <whistles>, like above as many times as the situation calls.
6. Carbines, on a lone self can work. If pathfinders can get away with it.. <whistles>
7. You may use both, but never at the same time. For instance you cant fire a str x shot, and then fire a sub shot. \

Overall theres a push and shove concept to the tau. You must clearly represent twin linked weapons, target lock, multitrackers, and drone controllers. However hardwired systems are integrated into the suit, not fed outside from a supporting uplink on the outside of the crisis suit.

you could say the same of decoy launchers, or target arrays because one jams weapons hopefully to another spot, and one is the targeting process of the ship itself, I imagine <shrug>
pepsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Apr 2009, 09:23   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

Alrighty here we go,
1) It's been debated before on this thread, the whole twin linked weapons thing, but what most people agree on is that you can fire a twin linked weapon, and another weapon with a multi-tracker.
2) I know decoy launchers and disruption pods are usable all the time, but the flechette dischargers, unsure of. I think they can be, but someone second that opinion for me.
3) Pretty much be imaginative, creative, and honest to your opponent about what they are or why they are hidden, because they don't manufacture a sprue for those parts on a vehicle. I do believe there's a guide to making "representations" for them on GW's main site though.
4) The ones that actually exist can be found in the back of the codex where the pictures are (page 53 to be exact.) But quick answer for you, all the weapons, target lock, shield gen, multi-tracker, positional relay, command and control node. Can once again, be imaginative, creative, and honest to your opponent.
5) You can use the little soda can resembling grenades. They represent, grenades, so it applies as both. And I do believe you can use them unlimited.
6) Markerlights are sorta represented on the models. First off, pathfinders come with them on the top of there carbine rifles, it's just a little rectangular object that emits a beam of awesome. You can get marker drones with the purchase of stealth suit teams, but alas only 1 per team. You can also do a little conversion to represent them on fire warrior team leaders. Otherwise, just let your opponent know if somebody is carrying one.
7) You can alternate as often as you want in the same game. Strike them down, or give em some good ol platter splatter!

Hope this helps.
Ekiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Apr 2009, 09:27   #4 (permalink)
PNW
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ekiel
7) You can alternate as often as you want in the same game. Strike them down, or give em some good ol platter splatter!

Hope this helps.
I did that once, and my friend felt submunitions were so overpowered that they must be a single use weapon. The only single weapon we are limited to is the Seeker Missile, correct?
Old 02 Apr 2009, 09:28   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

you can also cheat a little and take a gundrone, leave it with one carbine and make it a counts as markerdrone. Two guns for a gundrone, and no guns for a shield drone <whistles innocently>

seeker missiles only limited to a duo on most tau vehicles, and is only limited to markerlight availability. They dont limit your weapon options. They are for the price you pay literally just add ons to your vehicle like target array, a railgun, or gundrones.
Old 02 Apr 2009, 09:35   #6 (permalink)
PNW
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepsi
you can also cheat a little and take a gundrone, leave it with one carbine and make it a counts as markerdrone. Two guns for a gundrone, and no guns for a shield drone <whistles innocently>

seeker missiles only limited to a duo on most tau vehicles, and is only limited to markerlight availability. They dont limit your weapon options. They are for the price you pay literally just add ons to your vehicle like target array, a railgun, or gundrones.
Do i need to show them on my models? I only have three right now, and it's very annoying as my friends Space Marine army has alot of heavy armour (Dreadnaught, Land Raider, Whirlwind, and some weird turret thing i forgot the name of) and it kills my doods quickly if i can't get my Fusion Blaster bearing suits up close real quick (the only time i played him, he managed to kill half of my suits in the first round of shooting. I severely underestimated his range and firepower) and i'd love to get some heavy support from something besides my Hammerhead
Old 02 Apr 2009, 09:43   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

are you referring to drones? usually they are attached to someone, and they need to be represented appropriately.

I dont know why, but I just let the dreadies come. The only surefire way for me to kill them has been close range. Mps are good in numbers though. However with the new iron clads <eye twitch> its more of a pain. I hate whirld winds the most since I use alot of auxiliaries. Landraiders hehe. You might consider investing into a broadside in the future >

How many drones are you working with that you are willing to turn to gundrones, and to markerdrones?

most people can put two and two together if you happen to have one carbine drone, and a two carbine drone.

The seeker missiles must be represented by missiles on the vehicle itself. Though I could understand why such a thing you might like to add. I like human auxiliary markerlight/seeker combos.

while were at it, lets get an idea of what you have.

Old 02 Apr 2009, 09:52   #8 (permalink)
PNW
Shas'Vre

Ok, it's only like 1700 points when i put fancy upgrades on everything, i know i need more
i have:
2 Battlesuit Commanders
2 Crisis Suits
6 Stealth Suits
36 Fire Warriors
24 Kroot
1 Kroot Shaper
20ish gun drones
2 Marker Drones
2 Devilfish
1 Hammerhead

Typically, i field 3 full sized FW squads with 1 20 man Kroot squad with the Shaper, the Stealth suits forming into 3 man squads while the two crisis suits go together into 1 squad. I plan on getting 2 Broadsides soon
Old 02 Apr 2009, 10:18   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

not bad, I would say once the broadsides come in, you will have a very versatile cadre force.

Tau tactics are rather simple.

if force is greater, lure them in.
if force is inferior shoot them out.

its reading the flow of battle to apply the tactics. You have a very skirmish type force that wont handle a long range shooting match. Firewarriors while good have a troop tendency of death because of their t3. They might as well have armor 5+ by this point. However, you take what you can get.

You have enough gun drones to pair them up to each crisis suit, even if you get hammered two drones are better dead then one crisis team. If you considered, maybe strip a few and try shield drones <shrug>. Either that or let your suit take it in the face come a krak or lascannon or a gundrone. The crappy part is the majority toughness being 3 with two drones, and that 25% check is hazordous.

You could consider attaching one gun drone to each firewarrior squad so you can use its initiative to run away. For a firewarrior cost, you get a more effecient shot that pins, and if you are in a bit of a mess, run away at initiative 4, literally doubling their running potential lol! saving you a KP and opening a shot to the enemy.

Stealth suits with markerlight drones is a common unit for me to field now. Stealth suits can infiltrate, move and fire markerlight drones without an issue. They can call in a seeker, or use the shot to beef up their BS. They are expensive, but its not a bad skirmish unit, or a standard line guard bolster.

You could try two twelve man kroot squads. (you might look into hounds later, for the pt value the initiative is nice.) some people considered buying chaos warhounds (warhammer fantasy) because you get 10 of them for like 20 something bucks. Compared to the expensive and overtedious workings of the pewter kroot hounds. Small squads are a liability yes, but used to reinforce a line, you can sit them behind a firewarrior team, shoot and get a 4+ cover save, and be able to assault the enemy as they are dwindled.

They need to be used wisely, otherwise, the kroot are useless. The LD is another issue, especially with combat. Since kroot dieing makes ld modifiers incredibly one sided to the enemy, and the ld of the kroot still relatively low, you would be using them to support, and mop up, or in other cases die to dwindle the enemy more.

I dont see much point to the numbers except insuring that youll get attacks, even if 10 in the front perish. By the numbers a 20 man squad in cover is hard to root out, but get them in combat against anyone that can hit them...they will be running. So if im going to have them run, a smaller compact squad thats easier to infiltrate is my preferred method compared to one big squad. At least I can reinforce a point this way, and 24 rapid fire shots are nothing to scoff at.
Old 02 Apr 2009, 10:36   #10 (permalink)
PNW
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepsi

You could consider attaching one gun drone to each firewarrior squad so you can use its initiative to run away. For a firewarrior cost, you get a more effecient shot that pins, and if you are in a bit of a mess, run away at initiative 4, literally doubling their running potential lol! saving you a KP and opening a shot to the enemy.
Explain this

Also, what would you suggest my next purchase be?
I was thinking either another Hammerhead, or some pathfinders