Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Is the Remora any good?
Old 01 Apr 2009, 08:13   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Is the Remora any good?

Hi i was thinking of getting a couple of Remora's as i love the model but i just cant decide if they are any good in game.

PROS
-Flyer can hit where ever you want
-Stealth very hard to shoot down
-looks awesome

CONS
-Flyer you need your opponents consent to use them
-Not a lot of weapons for the points
-Expensive in points i could get a stealth team for the same cost

so what do other people think of it?
Darth Da Myr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Apr 2009, 09:17   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: Is the Remora any good?

... ... Well, I guess the thing that hurts it most is the forgeworld overpricing. Not as bad as what happens when GW takes it and removes a few things without changing the price on it mind you, but still...

For the cost, the twinlinked longbarrels make it a slightly more accurate burst-cannon with more than enough range to make the stealth field truly useful. You can imagine it costing 20 points less since part of that's the onboard seekers, and it comes with a markerlight.

So basically, its a stealth suit + marker drone + 2 seekers, on a vehicle chassis, with double the range. When you think about it that way its a fair deal, just, not a GREAT one (again, its the point cost).

15 points cheaper and an option or two, it would be great.
Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Apr 2009, 04:37   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Honestly, I love it. It is especially useful for launching seekers and burst cannon shots at the backs of vehicles. Ex. 3 pathfinders shoot at a leman russ. 2 hit. The remora comes onto the field and launches two seeker missiles, hits with its markerlight, making it's Long Barreled burst cannons BS4. Statistically, that's 2.1 glances/pens on the leman russ. While it will have used up both its seeker missiles, the Remora will have effectively made up its points (actually, I am not sure how much a Leman Russ costs but I'm assuming its at least 110).
Another great bonus of it is unlike out other flyers, it takes up a fast attack choice. This is great for Tau as we often don't fill up out FA choices.
LOL=== []\
L \ \
\_________\
| |
-------------/
leatherback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Apr 2009, 18:38   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I have a feeling that the Remora could make an appearance in the next Tau Codex!
It is a great little flyer with a networked markerlight so it can benefit from its own ML hits!
The burst cannon have a longer range so can keep at a distance where its stealth field can have some effect.
Add to that its unlimited move, can only be hit on a 6 (unless shot at by an AA gun) and the minus 12" range for all guns shooting at it and you have a really useful vehicle!
And I haven't even mentioned the Seeker Missiles yet!
I have found them really useful for taking out those sneeky Basilisks who hide at the back of the table out of sight.

Roland
Old 03 Apr 2009, 05:52   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by StaffordGames
I have a feeling that the Remora could make an appearance in the next Tau Codex!
It is a great little flyer with a networked markerlight so it can benefit from its own ML hits!
The burst cannon have a longer range so can keep at a distance where its stealth field can have some effect.
Add to that its unlimited move, can only be hit on a 6 (unless shot at by an AA gun) and the minus 12" range for all guns shooting at it and you have a really useful vehicle!
I have found them really useful for taking out those sneeky Basilisks who hide at the back of the table out of sight.

Roland
If it does make an appearance in the next Codex, it will be made into a skimmer (like the IG Valkery) and will probably be slightly to greatly changes. Also, it will likely be overpriced in points... :

But seeing the aircast on the field would be nice. They drive these things right?

Thirty Seconds to Mars - Kings and Queens; Theme song of the Gue'vesa.
Fate13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Apr 2009, 08:41   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

^ IIRC Remoras are heavy drones, unmanned.
Old 03 Apr 2009, 08:42   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

But seeing the aircast on the field would be nice. They drive these things right?
[/quote]

Wrong they are Drones!
Old 03 Apr 2009, 15:53   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

Oops... I don't know what I was talking about then ???, well then on that note: exit stage left -> :-X

Thirty Seconds to Mars - Kings and Queens; Theme song of the Gue'vesa.
Fate13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Apr 2009, 15:55   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Boneguard Send a message via Yahoo to Boneguard

Well I got 2 of those puppies at home and my friend told me they would probably allow me ot bring them in because they aren't so overpowered...especially since they are limited.

I Invite you to join my collective story and to add to it.

My ascension to GODHOOD
Boneguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Apr 2009, 16:26   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Unusualsuspect Send a message via MSN to Unusualsuspect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fate13
Quote:
Originally Posted by StaffordGames

Roland
If it does make an appearance in the next Codex, it will be made into a skimmer (like the IG Valkery) and will probably be slightly to greatly changes. Also, it will likely be overpriced in points... :

While I think it will have slight to heavy changes, I'm not sure it'll be overpriced in points. Do you think the Valkerie is overpriced? The Vendetta? Both seem like steals to me, and they are the parallel for converting an Apoc Flyer to a standard game.