Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Carbine Toting Fire Warriors
Old 01 Apr 2009, 05:44   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Carbine Toting Fire Warriors

I have a shiny new box of Fire Warriors here, and I was considering making them tote Pulse Carbines around instead of the Pulse Rifles that my other two squads have.

This would sacrifice range and firepower (within 12") for mobility. I often find my Fire Warriors either footslogging it across the table because I don't have the points for another DF, or their DF gets popped, and a 30" Rapid Fire weapon doesn't do me much good if the unit's moving constantly. So, I figured why not slap a squad with some carbines so they can be a bit more mobile without the need for a DF?

Anyone use these types of Fire Warriors often? How do they fare against opponents like Space Marines and Orks?
Military tactics are like unto water; for water in its natural course runs away from high places and hastens downwards... Water shapes its course according to the nature of the ground over which it flows; the soldier works out his victory in relation to the foe whom he is facing. Therefore, just as water retains no constant shape, so in warfare there are no constant conditions. He who can modify his tactics in relation to his opponent and thereby succeed in winning, may be called a heaven-born captain.
- Sun Tzu
RogueFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Apr 2009, 05:56   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Carbine Toting Fire Warriors

I've used footslogging PC FW's against Orks on occasions and they will not work (the pinning that is) unless you combine firepower with more units. Otherwise I have enjoyed the performance of these fellas in the "Run 'n' Gun" department.

A full squad of twelve could be interesting (w/ML support) although you can't make a full squad with one box (IIRC they only give you 6 arms w/PC on them).

-Note: only experiment if you are content with the # of PR FW's you've got now so you've got no regrets (or proxy existing PR ones before you assemble the new ones).
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Man They Call Jayne
Yeah Ahab, your not nearly dirty minded enough.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silk Spectre
Mass Effect Two please have my babies.
Help people at the hungersite.com
Shasel_Ahab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Apr 2009, 06:51   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Love Your Avatar Baby
I LOVE YOUR AVATAR BABY!
If this is all you post, I'm very surprised you don't have any minus karma or a ban.

Back on topic, aren't carbine warriors more easily assaulted? I use several carbines in my (single) squad that I use to pin when the enemy gets too close then leg it.

Is it too much to ask for you to click on them? Just click. Is all.

Humpty Dumpty was PUSHED!

All fungi are edible, some only once.
the crazy one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Apr 2009, 06:58   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I have found running with smaller squads of carbine toters will get them less noticed, and therefore longer-lived. If you find a fire zone, you can move them to a supporting position and fire with less chance of getting too much attention.
Old 01 Apr 2009, 16:03   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

I've been toying with the idea of using them in conjunction with Kroot, but since forcing others to go to ground doesn't help unless they are in cover on an assault, I kinda dropped it.

The saving grace of the PC is pinning and the "shoot then skoot" aspect. However, due to the overall reliance of marklights, the lack of shots and the fact that it seams that most things won't get pinned, I just don't feel they are worth it.

Thirty Seconds to Mars - Kings and Queens; Theme song of the Gue'vesa.
Fate13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Apr 2009, 21:19   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

i only equip my Etheral Honor guard with them. since i play mechanized tau, my firewarriors don't spend much time on foot, and i need the extra fire power given by rapid fire to ensure i kill enough targets.

the unit guarding my etheral on the otherhand shouldn't be in combat. the pinning ability offsets the loss of sheer firepower, and the slightly longer range over a rapid fire mode pulserifle allows me to pull those troops back while still firing at a range beyond most races ability to charge me. and the BS4 ensures more shots hit, which offsets the smaller unit size (only 9 troops, plus etheral and 2 shield drones)

currently i don't have a devilfish for the honorguard.
though i mostly don't run my etheral except in Apoc games...
Pay no heed to what you once were. now you belong to us, and we will capitalize on the ignorance of our enemy.
mithril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Apr 2009, 22:42   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

Slightly off topic but I need to ask, are ethereals better in Apoc. games?

P.S. this is not meant to be a thread jack, but I didn't feel that it warented its own new thread.

Thirty Seconds to Mars - Kings and Queens; Theme song of the Gue'vesa.
Fate13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Apr 2009, 23:22   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueFox
I have a shiny new box of Fire Warriors here, and I was considering making them tote Pulse Carbines around instead of the Pulse Rifles that my other two squads have.

This would sacrifice range and firepower (within 12") for mobility. I often find my Fire Warriors either footslogging it across the table because I don't have the points for another DF, or their DF gets popped, and a 30" Rapid Fire weapon doesn't do me much good if the unit's moving constantly. So, I figured why not slap a squad with some carbines so they can be a bit more mobile without the need for a DF?

Anyone use these types of Fire Warriors often? How do they fare against opponents like Space Marines and Orks?
No. I've tried using the all carbines in a firewarrior squad combo and I found I was badly lacking in firepower.

Against space marines they will rarely fail their pinning tests and more and more of them are now found in rhinos, meaning your poor firewarriors that have to enter within 18" will be rapidfired to death or assaulted.

Against orks, your little unit enters within 18" shoots 12 shots 6 hit, four wound, yay, you killed four orks. Then the ork player declairs a wagg and proceeds to assault and beat the **** out of your unit.

Pinning weapons are lost on orks thanks to their rule which lets them sub in their leadership for the number of models in the squad.

It's much safer to keep a squad of 12 with all pulse riftles, 2/3 of your games you can plunk them on an objective in your deployment zone and fire away.
You could also give your team leader a markerlight and let him light up targets in conjunction with other units, or send in seeker missils.

In short, buying 12 firewarriors with carbines would be a wast of points in my opinion.

"They shall be my finest Cannon Fodder, these men who give themselves to me. Like clay I will mold them and in the furnace of war they will become cracked and broken. They will be of tissue paper and whimpy muscle. In tissue paper armor I clad them and with the mightiest flashlights they will be armed. They will be touched by every sort of plauge or disease to help further make them unhappy, all sickness will blight them. They will have almost no tactics, strategies, but lots of machines so that they can atleast stand up to a foe in battle. They are my tar pit against the Terror. They are the bulk of Humanity. They are my Imperial Guard and they will know much fear!"

A fortress circumvented ceases to be an obstacle. A fortress destroyed ceases to be a threat. Do not forget the difference.
- Attributed to Leman Russ

My armies may sleep, but big guns never tire.

Surrender - or die.
Typhon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Apr 2009, 08:12   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I use Pulse Carbines all the time in my games, and they are very usefull.

I can give you two different situations where Carbine FWs are superior.

In CoD, being able to move to a corner, and shoot at 18" range has let me catch more enemy troops in the open than any other unit. Everyone expects the Rifle, and the whole 30" and not moving, or 12" and rapid fire.

The FoF is (mostly) dead. Because slimmers are no longer as tough to knock out in CC, and basic infantry can move more than 12". Well if you use Carbines, and keep back around 16-18", the chances of being caught in assault are lower, and you can use the side hatches fro deployment and embarking.

The mobility of Carbines is the advantage.
Scorefish = Devilfish + 6 Fire Warriors. It is a Scoring Devilfish.
1337green1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Apr 2009, 18:23   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Carbines are very limited in utility (on FW squads) IMO: footslogging Orks. If you want carbines in an any-comer situation use Gun Drones.
And FoF dead? As originally designed, yes. Now we just have to kill the squad we have targeted with our 'Fury'. Completely >.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Man They Call Jayne
Yeah Ahab, your not nearly dirty minded enough.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silk Spectre
Mass Effect Two please have my babies.
Help people at the hungersite.com
Shasel_Ahab is offline   Reply With Quote