Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Tau Barracuda: Am I missing something?
Old 31 Mar 2009, 02:41   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Tau Barracuda: Am I missing something?

Ok, the basic Tau flyer in Apocalypse seems to be the Tau Barracuda. This model looks absolutely fantastic when painted. Unfortunately, game mechanics wise, it appears to be a subpar unit.

When compared against either the Imperial Thunderbolt or the Eldar Nightwing, both which appear along with the Barracuda in the Apocalypse rulebook, it does not seem like the Barracuda could hold its own. It has one and only one AA mounted weapon, is nose ion cannon, and has no option to take a targeting array. In comparision, the thunderbolt has a pair of twin-linked AA mounted autocannons. This means in air-to-air combat, the thunderbolt gets one more shot than the Barracuda at the same strength, and its AA shots are twinlinked, and the thunderbolt is cheaper, and it can suffer a weapon destroyed result without losing its AA batteries. How is the Barracuda supposed to win against that.

Then there is the Nightwing, which will more expensive than the Barracuda, it benefits from a higher BS and the fact that all of its weapons count as AA mounted due to the interceptor rule. And half the hits against the Nightwing are negated because the Nightwing is just that awesome.

Even in air to ground combat, it seems the Barracuda got shafted. Excluding the 4 seeker missiles that have to be purchased separately, the Barracuda has no weapon above str7, while the Thunderbolt has twinlinked lascannons and the Nightwing has a pair of brightlances. So while the Thunderbolt and the Nightwing can crack the heaviest armor in the game, the Barracuda can only engage lightly armored targets or targets with poor rear armor(still a lot of targets, but a lot of stuff has AV12+ even on the rear in Apoc).

Did the Tau get shafted in the flyer department? It seems like our flyers should be strong to make up for the lack of titans, but I am not seeing it in the unit stats. Has anyone gotten their points worth out of these things?
Phanixis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Mar 2009, 02:57   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Sidstyler Send a message via MSN to Sidstyler
Default Re: Tau Barracuda: Am I missing something?

Yes we did. I don't actually have the Taros Campaign but I'm pretty sure the barracuda was overcosted even there, and had MUCH better stats than the one in the Apoc book, like being able to take a TA for example.

Warhams is serious business.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbeard
Knowing the rules is not WAAC. Bringing tough lists is not WAAC. Acting within the scope of the rules is not WAAC.
Sidstyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Mar 2009, 03:05   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

You can still try to hit with the bursts and missile pod, but yeah, the barracuda got screwed there.

All the forgeworld versions are as usual a little overcost, but still worth it. However, apoc's version of the barracuda screwed it over.

The real secret though is that the price didn't change. The stats did. The IA3 one HAD a targetting array (you could see it in its stats; it was 3(4)), could take a few of the relevant options, and while it didn't have an AA-mount, that's because the rule didn't actually exist, and thus wasn't NEEDED (so the 'Cuda was quite capable anti-air, just, not as good anti-ground)
Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Mar 2009, 03:11   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to Wild

Um, I think I missed something but isn't the Barracuda more of a bomber? I thought the Tiger Sharks were more the Air Superiority type.
Old 31 Mar 2009, 03:19   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Opposite. Barracuda are the interceptors, except they lack the interceptor rule and now have less AA capability than many bombers. Tigersharks are much heavier, and carry either 14 drones or a Destroyer (why don't tau have titans? Because their teeny weeny flyers rip them to shreds) twinlinked primary-weapon Heavy railgun (and the submunitions on that thing are just incredible). Oh, and a networked markerlight.

By the way: EXCEPT the GW apoc book's 'Cuda, the Barracuda, Tigersharks and Manta (save the manta's drone cannons) all have integrated targetting arrays.

So really its more just that they hate tau or forgot.
Old 31 Mar 2009, 03:37   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Sidstyler Send a message via MSN to Sidstyler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova
So really its more just that they hate tau or forgot.
Considering how ridiculously incompetent GW is I have a hard time trying to decide...

Quote:
The real secret though is that the price didn't change.
Yeah, I forgot that. It was overpriced to begin with, but the Apoc version is much worse AND costs the same, go figure. :

Warhams is serious business.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbeard
Knowing the rules is not WAAC. Bringing tough lists is not WAAC. Acting within the scope of the rules is not WAAC.
Sidstyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Mar 2009, 04:22   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to Wild

Even still, the Apoc. Tiger Shark is better with Seeker Missiles to replace its pack of drones. It just looks like of the two the Shark is better in air to air combat.
Old 31 Mar 2009, 07:39   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

The weird thing about the 'cuda in Apocalypse where you can't buy it a target lock is that there is basically nothing that is a good choice for all 3 weapon systems. The ion cannon is great for killing marines, but the rest of the stuff isn't. Missile pods and the ion cannon are pretty good against a squadron of vehicles, but the burst cannons aren't much use there. Burst cannons and missile pods are decent at horde-killing, but the ion cannon is wasted there. When you have the most maneuverable type of model on the field, that can get anywhere on the table, it can pick its target. With that amount of flexibility it should have one type of target that it excels against, and it doesn't!
knightperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Mar 2009, 08:27   #9 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to ForbiddenKnowledge

Thats because, for the love of god don't use the apoc rules for the Barracuda.

The FW rules were overpointed to begin with - but thats natural, and you accept that for playing with FW. But the apoc version was much worse, and there was no points change....

Long story short, anything in Apoc that has pre-existing FW rules, use the FW rules. They are better, better balanced, and a lot more fun.

Apoc seriously shafted the tau.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim.
Rafe is damn sexy once he gets into his night attire.
ForbiddenKnowledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Mar 2009, 08:45   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Well, not in ALL ways...
The Armoured Interdiction Cadre is THE best source of markerlight hits, bar none, as long as you have the tanks.

Pathfinders: average 24pts/hit
I.Cadre rolled a 1: 25pts/hit
Rolled a 2: 16pts/hit
Rolled a 3: 12.5pts/hit

For comparison, to get get 3 markerlight hits (rolling a nice median 2) in marker drones, you'd be paying 180 points.

Interdiction Cadre: Delicious