Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

I want to blow up tanks....
Old 31 Mar 2009, 22:05   #11 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Tausand sun Send a message via Yahoo to Tausand sun
Default Re: I want to blow up tanks....

Heavy armor (AV14)

TL fusion blaster OR
Broadside

Medium armor (av12)

Fusion blaster, missile pod

Light armor or Deepstriking on rear (av10)

Missile pod, Burst cannon
"The Imperium has abandoned us brothers! And these blue-skinned "saviors" seek only to enslave us. Follow me and march to freedom so we might transform the galaxy into a peaceful place for all sentient species!" -- Commander Alexander of the 88th Aldarian Phoenix Regiment
Tausand sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Mar 2009, 23:26   #12 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I run a fully armoured list (except for my commander) so every thing is a tank or is mounted in tanks. Were I to use crisis suits however, there are many better weapons in the tau arsenal than sending in a monat crisis suit with twin fusion blasters, to do that I would have to be desperate.

Try a broadside, twin railguns are highly effective a takeing down armour and would be my #1 choice, or even a hammerhead, perhaps a piranah with a fusion blaster, but there are many better targets and weapons for your monat XV8.

"They shall be my finest Cannon Fodder, these men who give themselves to me. Like clay I will mold them and in the furnace of war they will become cracked and broken. They will be of tissue paper and whimpy muscle. In tissue paper armor I clad them and with the mightiest flashlights they will be armed. They will be touched by every sort of plauge or disease to help further make them unhappy, all sickness will blight them. They will have almost no tactics, strategies, but lots of machines so that they can atleast stand up to a foe in battle. They are my tar pit against the Terror. They are the bulk of Humanity. They are my Imperial Guard and they will know much fear!"

A fortress circumvented ceases to be an obstacle. A fortress destroyed ceases to be a threat. Do not forget the difference.
- Attributed to Leman Russ

My armies may sleep, but big guns never tire.

Surrender - or die.
Typhon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Apr 2009, 03:46   #13 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

The way I see it, there are several different approaches to destroying tanks, both heavy and light.

Light tank
Effective weapons: Missile pods, Ion cannon, and Seeker Missiles
Useful units: Deathrains (crisis suits with twin linked missile pods), Ion heads, and vehicle mounted yet infantry guided seeker missiles.
Other useful units: Anything with lots of S5 weaponry (but only versus AV 10 & 11).

Heavy tank
Effective weapons: Fusion cannons and Railguns
Useful units: Broadsides, Deepstriking twin linked fusion cannon suits, and pirhanas.
Other useful units: Hammerheads, massed seeker missiles (against AV13, they do okay, with each scoring .28 glances/penetrating hits per shot, assuming a marker light hits)
LOL=== []\
L \ \
\_________\
| |
-------------/
leatherback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Apr 2009, 04:37   #14 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Each fusion blaster hit within 6" has a 31.5% chance of killing an av14.
7+ to penetrate is 3.5/6 * 1/2 (4+ on result chart due to ap1) + glancing 5/36 * 1/6 = 31.5%

A railgun only has a 19.4% to kill an av14
5+ to penetrate 1/3 * 1/2 + glance 1/6 * 1/6 = 7/36 = 19.4%

I know what i'de rather be shooting a tank 62% more with. Of course the problem is getting the shot there, in which case the railgun wins hands down.
For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. John 3:16

My name is Josh, i'm a christian and the most important thing in my life is knowing my creator and savior Jesus Christ. If you have any questions about christianity i'm happy to answer them.
joshau-k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Apr 2009, 17:06   #15 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

You do now that railguns are Ap1 as well right? That with the range and mobility (hammerhead) make the railgun more effective.
Old 01 Apr 2009, 19:55   #16 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Wow!
Thanks for all the replies, you are a rather helpful bunch.
TBH, i had a really cool conversion idea for a suit with TL FB's, but if they aren't any good, its kinda pointless.
Maybe i should start playing some games!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TipTop1987
Yes, I know, the configuration has already been said, but I do run mine a bit differently. I run it as my Shas'o, giving him more options and tougher to kill. He's laid out, like so...
Shas'o: 184 Points
-Fusion blaster
-Missile pod
-Shield generator
-Iridium armour
-Stimulant injectors
-Hard-wired Multi-tracker
-Hard-wired Drone controller with 2 Shield Drones
This set up makes him near impossible to kill (Save for 3 successful Lascannon shots). A 2+/4+/FNP makes him feared to almost every unit. And though his movement in the Assault phase may be reduced, the longer range of the Missile pod allows him to target weaker armour farther away. (He works amazing Deep Striking, by the way.) I've used him as my Shas'o in all but a hand-full of games and have had wonderful results.
This guy sounds good, although expensive.

I'll have to put more thought into it.
Thanks again guys.
Old 02 Apr 2009, 22:26   #17 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Fusion blasters can definitely be good, while they will never be as good overall as railguns they do have their place.

Though its harder to get the shot there, since they are on jet packs, they can easily maneuver to get the rear armour of the vehicle and if its av 10, a kill is almost guaranteed.
They are a lot cheaper than a railgun.
They can deepstrike.
There can be multiple crisis suits.

Don't discount the fusion blaster just because the railgun is always great AA gun, in the right situations the FB can easily beat the railgun.
For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. John 3:16

My name is Josh, i'm a christian and the most important thing in my life is knowing my creator and savior Jesus Christ. If you have any questions about christianity i'm happy to answer them.
joshau-k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Apr 2009, 04:18   #18 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Don't discount the fusion blaster just because the railgun is always great AA gun, in the right situations the FB can easily beat the railgun.
Only in melta range. At any other time, the railgun is better. As melta range is 6", and the railgun is 72", you have 12 times the amount of are to be effective in.
But your right, the fusion cannon also has it's place in a Tau list. I have always thought it would be interesting to reverse the usual roles of Elites and Heavy support (instead of using deathrains for anti light tank, use Ion heads. Instead of using Railguns for anti heavy tank, use fusion cannons).
LOL=== []\
L \ \
\_________\
| |
-------------/
leatherback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Apr 2009, 19:37   #19 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Nobody will discount the Fusion Blaster, it's a very nice weapon to bring to the game, and with average rolls at melta range your busting most things since your looking at like roll+str being 15. Thing is that needs to be 6" away, kind of a hard time getting there. Which is why piranhas are nice. But the jolly old Railgun doesn't need to be that far away to worry enemy tanks, only AV14 are remotely safe and thats at 72".
Old 07 Apr 2009, 21:44   #20 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Tausand sun Send a message via Yahoo to Tausand sun

Actually i think the important thing about fusion blasters isnt the range or melta, but the fact that they can deepstrike, which with a lucky deepstrike means you'll be hitting rear armor, which at that point you just took on average 2-4 points off of their armor value compared to what the broadsides would be firing at. and if you hit dead on, well it's melta range, so your pretty much gauranteed a hit (TL FB with TA) and a penetrate, and with ap1 about 50% chance or blowing it up on the spot, and further more 5/6 times it won't be firing at you and the one time it can fire at you, its because you rolled a 3 which with AP1 is a 4- immobilized, which means it's not coming closer to you. and the only other time that it can move toward it, it's weapon just got knocked off.
"The Imperium has abandoned us brothers! And these blue-skinned "saviors" seek only to enslave us. Follow me and march to freedom so we might transform the galaxy into a peaceful place for all sentient species!" -- Commander Alexander of the 88th Aldarian Phoenix Regiment
Tausand sun is offline   Reply With Quote