Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

What should I install onto my suits?
Old 30 Mar 2009, 03:06   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to MDRedeemer Send a message via MSN to MDRedeemer
Default What should I install onto my suits?

I've come to a dilemma here on how to equip the vast number of suits I happen to own. Counting crisis battlesuits and broadside battlesuits this comes to a total of 22 suits, because it appears that I am awesome at obtaining good deals. And before anyone mentions it, no, I'm not magnetizing them. Mostly because I don't have the magnets and am tiring of having to rebuild my crisis suits.

Now so far I've layed out my general use of them.

4 Suits are broadsides, going to get 2 more as having 6 broadsides for the inevitable Leman Russ spam sounds like a pretty good idea.

3 "Easily Identified" Commander units. These can simply double as crisis team leaders or as Shas'Els/'Os as they are -very- distinct. I can post pictures sometime. But 1 is a fireknife commander, the other has a wide variety of tools upon his suit, and will typically be ran as a anti-infantry juggernaut. The third has yet to be decided for configuration, but will be an 'O.

But the others are crisis teams. And that leaves 15, so enough for 5 teams.

1 Team of Fireknife Suits (MP, PR)
1 Team of Helios Suits (PR, FB)
1 Team of Firestorm Suits (MP, BC)
1 Team of Deathrains (Targetting Array Equipped, secondary weapons easy to implement. 1 Deathrain can easily substitute for a Deathrain 'El w/ Pos Relay)
And the final team is undecided. I've thought about going Blinding Spear (BC, PR) For the high volume of fire backed by a powerful weapon when marines come near. I was also thinking of Missile/Fusion for Ninja lists.

I've also thought about the idea of mix-and-matching suits to make use of wound allocation system, and having a diversely equipped list. Though I'd imagine this would be better to test first.

But compared to what I already have, what would you fine people suggest I equip these suits with? I've already got a multitude of roles filled, so what other niche's could I fill. If this helps, go under the assumption that I am running battlesuit heavy in a high point game in a tournament, do not take into consideration any other variables of the list with the exception of Pathfinder support.
Old 30 Mar 2009, 05:31   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: What should I install onto my suits?

Well I've been thinking of equiping a team with flamers/fusion for some very extremely close up brutal fighting.
I don't know how effective this would be in the least. I imagine best suited to city fights.
It's just I've never seen the flamers being used before and I thought it might be fun to see how close up I can get and keep them alive.

A more serious answer is you can double up on one of the teams you've already got if you wanted, fielding to squads the same, you could really get some effective firepower working.
lemon-green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Mar 2009, 05:49   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

22 suits:

1 Aurora command (probably with shield on one of the guns)
1 AFP/Flamer (or AFP something else)
4 Broadsides
4 Deathrains
4 Helios
2 Fireknife
2 Firestorm
2 Blinding Spear

And finally, the last two, DO magnetise or if you really don't want to, store'em for later. Never know what new goodies we might get if we get a new codex, and perhaps you'll want them for that (instead of buying even more).
Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Mar 2009, 07:32   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to MDRedeemer Send a message via MSN to MDRedeemer

By the time the next Tau codex comes out, I'll have a job and hopefully getting a steady income. And with the way I seem to come across my units, obtaining more suits would actually be preferable, as I also like playing large point games (Apocalypse for example)

Also because a lot of mine came in... less than desirable color and condition, ripping off armament is something I'm really not worried about. Reconfiguration would only bother me if I had a lack of parts.

I've been thinking of a second set of Helios, as it is my favorite annihilator configuration (lotta MEQs in my zone, players are spoiled with T4/5 3+ saves)

As for the suit configurations, I tend to operate in groups of 3 to bring maximum firepower to bear per squad as opposed to smaller squads, unless I can squeeze in a few cheap suits at the end of a list, so only having 2 of certain suits would not fit my style.

My other 2 commander class battlesuits can fit the Aurora as needed. My current constructed one other than the Fireknife 'El can be CIB, PR, then either AFP or MP, as I make my own random weapons it can easily count for both. One of my deathrains can also make a bold claim to have an AFP with it's enlarged missile rack on the back in addition to the missiles on it's arms.
Old 30 Mar 2009, 07:51   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Honestly, MDRedeemer, do yourself a favor and magnetise your suits - especially new ones you buy. I know, it IS additional work, but it does pay off big time.

Of course, arguing that more suits are better is valid, and nothing is stopping you from buying additional suits. Magnetising does help you in maximising their efficiency though by always being able to equip them with the right tools for the right job.

Advising you in advance how you should equip your Crisis is difficult; both the metagame and tastes change over the years. I used full teams of Deathrains and Helios for the last 7 years, but I'll try out a few "exotic" team configurations in my next games (http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=81187.0), which would be impossible if I'd have glued all my suits (I'm a lucky Tau player to have magnetised my Rapid Insertion Force a year ago ).

So, yeah, I'm not gonna give you advice on how to glue your Crisis. I'm gonna advise you to go the extra mile and magnetise them.

Cheers,
-Bone
CmdrBonesaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Mar 2009, 17:48   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by CmdrBonesaw
Honestly, MDRedeemer, do yourself a favor and magnetise your suits - especially new ones you buy. I know, it IS additional work, but it does pay off big time.

Of course, arguing that more suits are better is valid, and nothing is stopping you from buying additional suits. Magnetising does help you in maximising their efficiency though by always being able to equip them with the right tools for the right job.

Advising you in advance how you should equip your Crisis is difficult; both the metagame and tastes change over the years. I used full teams of Deathrains and Helios for the last 7 years, but I'll try out a few "exotic" team configurations in my next games (http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=81187.0), which would be impossible if I'd have glued all my suits (I'm a lucky Tau player to have magnetised my Rapid Insertion Force a year ago ).

So, yeah, I'm not gonna give you advice on how to glue your Crisis. I'm gonna advise you to go the extra mile and magnetise them.

Cheers,
-Bone
Or use Blu-Tac

It works almost as well - it's less professional, but so much easier.