Warhammer 40K Forum

Killing Space Marine Scouts and Drop Pods
Old 29 Mar 2009, 15:28   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Killing Space Marine Scouts and Drop Pods

I need to know how to kill a Space Marine army including:

Lots of Drop Pods
Space Marine Scouts with shotguns

I think I should base my army around the tau megaforce because it's good value for money
sept warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Mar 2009, 17:10   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Boneguard Send a message via Yahoo to Boneguard
Default Re: Killing Space Marine Scouts and Drop Pods

Mmm Deepstrike assaulty marine them. The Bane of tau.

To deal with them you will need two things: Mobility and Firepower.

Mobility: You need to be able to get your guy out of the way fast and to position them as fast. You will require devilfish, piranha, and suits for this.

Firepower: You need 3 thing here. Markerlight (to increase your odd of hitting them, thus killing them), a metric ton of shots -missile pod, Cyclic ion blaster, burst cannon, railhead for the template, fusion blaster, SMS and a lot of pulse rifle- in order to saturate the marines with a lot of hits and the fusion to deal with the pods. Forget about High AP: sure it's an assured kill, but the ROf is not high enough ot avoid assalut)...look like it was only 2.

Speedbump: Gundrones squad or kroot to slow down the marines.

Overall tactic is to avoid getting caught in CC by keeping your troops mobile and moving all over the place, all the while saturating the troops in place with a lot of firepower enhanced by the markerlight to increase your BS to make most of your shoot count and thus forcing a lot of armour save, which in average will force him to fall back.

I Invite you to join my collective story and to add to it.

My ascension to GODHOOD
Boneguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Mar 2009, 23:45   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Ravager

I have a simple solution for deepstrike heavy MEQ armies. It involves multiple hammerheads with fusion cannons. Granted, marines can actually spread out a fair bit from drop pods these days, but anyone coming down not in a drop pod…

Aside from that you could go tank and suit heavy, taking multiple ionheads and helios suits, which tend to cut through MEQs like a hot knife through butter. Avoiding assault is the biggest problem, but as drop pods are not open topped (unless something changed recently) they cannot assault on the turn they emerge, giving you some breathing room.

We have done the impossible... and that makes us mighty.
Firefly is pretty much made of Awesome, Funny, and Aww. Sometimes simultaneously. We'd better stop before we quote the entire script.
–tvtropes.org
Ravager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Mar 2009, 23:53   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to Wild

Drop Pods ARE open-topped, but they're Deep Striking in. That's why they can't assault. A lot of Marine players I've encountered use the combi-melta or the Meltagun for the DSers.
Old 30 Mar 2009, 16:06   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

considdering almost everything deepstrikes in the tau army too, you can just play the same game as the marine player.

Hold all your stuff in reserve, and drop on him too.
Old 30 Mar 2009, 16:20   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

So stealthsuits would be good, and I should see if I can have a whole army that can deep strike?
sept warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Mar 2009, 16:37   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to Wild

You'd certainly be able to get at least 4 units that can do that, maybe even more if you use the Vespids. Otherwise though, they're coming in from the edge.
Old 30 Mar 2009, 18:47   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

Ninja Tau!

Hold everything in reserve, then walk on. He wastes his first turn as there is nothing to shoot at.
Old 30 Mar 2009, 21:25   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Well, I must say that for the scouts I have used successfully the next configuration: A Mon´At: VRT/AFP/FL supported by a drone squad (of 6-8 drones). You deepstrike one of either while the other deploys on table moving towards the scouts, when the time its right (your other unit it´s about to arrive) you unleash the carabines firepower hoping to freeze them, and then you can fire the AFP and even the flamer if your are close enough... after all firing you charge them with the Mon´At, get your drones in proper position (remember they have jet packs) and at the end of the turn you can try to disengage the Mon´At just with a bunch of scout ready to receive the same therapy in your next turn.

No matter what you do with these two units as far as one support each other I find it very useful against scout squads...

sadly I´d never fighted drop-pods ???
Mpori Ebatoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Mar 2009, 18:13   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to Pisces_808

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight Actual
castle up
And this is helping how exactly? A one line post is already pushing it, a 2 word post is just overboard. :

Now for advice:
I never faced them before (well I did if you count 1 drop pod), but I would also suggest mobility. Keeping everything either of table or in their transports. Sure they can down a few DF when they strike but the other units are packed and ready to buzz of.

A Kroot wall would also work wonders. Just set them up 2" appart in a box around your forces. And put them around 4/5 (maybe 6) Inches infront of you other models. If you have 2 units of 10 models you should be able to make a box that's more then 20" by 20". Seeing as some deployment zones are only 18 deep it would make 18" by 22". This is ideal if you set up in a corner, sure you can be boxed in but you only have to defend a small surface. This would also ensure that the opponent deepstrikes where you want them. When you spread out he can pick the weakest target and pound it into the ground.

Again I havened faced them but I would suggest the Kroot tactic. This seems to be the more viable option. Also your opponent has to declare wich droppods are comming in and what they are carrying. I'm not talking about when they come, I'm talking about him having to reveal his armylist. If there are lots of melta put those troops in front. If there are lots of flamers put the tanks infront. When there's a mix... I'd pick troop or those drones on the vehicles.

Come to think of it, taking first turn may not be so bad. As now you have time to drop those drones and speed them forward to make a defencive perimeter. Finally we found a use for those easy killpoints.

Another sneaky tactic could be to allow some room between you and those Kroot/Drones. Positioning is crucial here so don't attempt if you don't know the size of a droppod. Put your drones/kroot so that the Droppod CAN come between them. The trick is that if the droppod can come that doesn't mean the troops can. They have to deploy arround the droppod, just like you have to exit a vehicle. If they can't exit without comming within 1" of your troops then the droppod's occupant are destroyed. So if he scatters on your troops and lands in that spot then he just lost them without a fight. This may be a cheap trick but could work with scatter.

Greetz

Pisces_808 is offline   Reply With Quote