Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Need some help with orks/rule clarifications
Old 29 Mar 2009, 13:14   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Need some help with orks/rule clarifications

First off let me introduce myself, I'm a quite new wh40k player I've been looking around this forum for some time but registered just now. I play a tau army and I play about once or twice a week. Yesterday I played a game where I faced off against orks. My friend (the ork player) Insisted that the standard size for battlefields was 6x2 feet where the armies deploy at the broad sides. We placed our units and rolled for who was going to start, he won the roll and his 3 Deffkoptas that had been placed 12 inches from the edge then scouted 12 inches towards my force proceeded to fly 12 inches towards me fired some rokkitz at my hammerhead although only managing to shake the crew. And in the assault phase he saws right into my firewarriors using the buzzsaws they were equipped with. 9 powerclaw attacks later not many of my firewarriors remain standing. My turn, I have to deal with more immediate threats and move out my ranged units and task the 16 kroots to deal with the deffkoptas, In the assault phase they miss all but 8 of their 48 4+ strikes and then only manage to wound with 3, which the deffkoptas manage to save. I have no way to halt the advancing nobs which then make short process of my kroots and firewarriors.

My questions is:
1 Is the battlefield really supposed to be 2x6 feet large and are the 2 armies supposed to deploy around 36 inches from eachother.

2 Do you have any advice on how to avoid getting mangled by deffkoptas that can (if they get the first turn) in theory saw down anyone in your army be it suits or vehicles (thanks to them being able to fly over other units and into the middle of your force).
Oores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Mar 2009, 13:25   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: Need some help with orks/rule clarifications

Firstly, Welcome to the Forums ;D

Answer to 1: Generally I believe the standard gaming table is supposed to be 6x4 feet and deployment depends on the mission. (though the longer edges is what is generally used)

Answer to 2: Well moving your units as far back as possible can help, and also, if your units arn't on the board, then they can't be attacked, you could try keeping them of at the beggining and deep striking later. Deepstriking units like your suits to vital battle field area's etc can really help Tau.

Hope I could help.
lemon-green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Mar 2009, 14:21   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Boneguard Send a message via Yahoo to Boneguard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oores
My questions is:
1 Is the battlefield really supposed to be 2x6 feet large and are the 2 armies supposed to deploy around 36 inches from eachother.
As Rej said a Standard table is 6x4 although for smaller games 4x4 works too. And, regardless of the deployment type, you cannot deploy within 24" of your enemy.

I Invite you to join my collective story and to add to it.

My ascension to GODHOOD
Boneguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Mar 2009, 14:22   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

Also, welcome to the forums. Now on to the mean stuff. Your opponent really took advantage of you, probably not knowing what he was doing also. If the Deffkoptas fired at the Hammerhead, they would of had to assaulted it, not another unit. So, at worst, they may have downed your tank, but been sitting there in the open for you to gun them down.
Also, the table should be 6x4 as stated above.
auxiliary priest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Mar 2009, 15:31   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Thanks a lot for all the help it's greatly appreciated.
I thought that starting so close to Orks would be suicide so I hope I will be more successful next battle
Old 29 Mar 2009, 15:40   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

You should be rolling for mission and deployment. First turn is explained on p.9, and the rest is all on p.90 of the rule book, of which you both should have a copy. It sounds like you didn't follow proper set-up. You either agree on deployment, or roll for it randomly. Your friend set himself up to win.

A standard 40k table is 6x4 - feet.

You must assault the same unit you shot at. p.33

Since Orks have a mess of special rules, I would insist he have his Ork Codex in hand, and take the time to explain the special rules as he takes advantage of them. One Ork player I play against, has on more than one occasion, corrected himself upon re-reading his own rules.

Dal'yth Sept, Karaz'an Sector, Blik'ros Kau'ui
TrooperPX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Mar 2009, 16:40   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

good day.
as stated so far. you where done over by your 'friendly' opponent.

6x4 table for normal games / 4x4 for less than 1001pts idealy.

it is possible for you to end up with units 18" away from them, ( thanks to infiltrators and scouts mainly ) if it happens try to arrange other units to put out a huge blanket of fire when your poor unit dies in the coming assault, which being fair it normally will.

usually you wont end up in assault the first turn
mainly as you will deploy more than 24" away from him. the kopters do have the longest charge, think its 12"move + 6/12"charge. . .
my ork opponent prefers to flank me with them from reserve.

as far as dealing with them, missile pods and the ion cannon work well, keep a unit of drones near by to assault them if they come to close, or kroot if there are some knocking around. as deadly as they are its often worth charging them robing them of the +1 initiative and strength they get when they furious charge, let alone the extra attack. . . . 'waaargh' can only be used once per game, not turn one. giving most units fleet.

nothing a hammer head with the sub munition blast cant dent.
as your probably well aware by now, kill anything fast first, trukks especialy. slows their charge up.

if i know i'm facing orks, kroot with as many hounds as you can hiding in the trees somewhere ( or in reserve to flank ) should be enough to worry the orks, charge them asap. the hounds alone may rip through most troops.

weight offire will win the day.
zymosis ink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Mar 2009, 18:26   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

about the table: expect melee-armies to try that once in a while. Or even friends that happen to be 'missing' a couple of inches of table, all in the name of fast and deadly assaulting.

The most annoying things about a giant horde of orks is that their toughness means the submunition won't instant-death anything other than Gretchin. Its nevertheless extremely valuable, but your first targets should be the koptas and 'Ard Boyz (bikers usually invulnerable and charging on that first turn, though if you can get the first turn and they happen to be on the table...)

For the most part though weight of fire is what you want. most ork models will die on a 3+ from a pulse round. The AFP ignores their armour AND their cover, Flamers are devastating against mobs that just meleed your squad to death, but flamers leave you way too close for comfort if you can't finish the job. Its also one of the very few times I'd suggest a Failsafe Detonator if you have a good bodyguard squad to equip it, though if you aren't careful you'll just get wiped out and not get to blow it.
Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Mar 2009, 20:18   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Good overall advice. To start myself, I would suggest you get a Rulebook, it clears up most questions, and would make it far easier to avoid being cheated hardcore, like you were.

Playing Orks myself, here a couple of comments:

-The table is indeed 6x4 feet; nevertheless, you have to be ready for second-turn Ork charges (especially when they are riding in Trukks or Battlewagons).

-Scout move is BEFORE you finally decide who goes first (i.e. before you try to steal the initiative). This is important to consider, and might make your opponent think twice to move his Koptas in a way that might compromise them.

-Next point: You say the Deffkoptas were shooting at the Hammerhead, but then charged your Firewarriors? That is cheating. A unit HAS to assault the unit it was shooting at (Rulebook page 33, last paragraph!)

-How to deal with Deffkoptas is easy... Deathrain Crisis Suits eat them for breakfast (4+/3+ twin linked to hit, 2+ to wound, no armor save), but also lots of small arms fire will bring them down. Ionheads can be effective, but I don't really fancy them in 5th Edition; A Railhead with Submunitions can hurt them, too (if they are bunched together).

So, overall advice - get and read a Rulebook (the AoBR-booklets should be easy to come by), and always have it with you. If you have any problems about deployment or rules, just look it up. Stops cheaters usually dead in their tracks.

As far as combating Orks is concerned, more info about your any your opponents lists would be very useful...

Cheers,
-Bone
CmdrBonesaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Mar 2009, 21:17   #10 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Thanks for all the help I have a rulebook and a codex which I bring to the games I play. Apparantly trusting his word was just a mistake which I wont make again.
Also sorry for the unnecessary bump.