Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

New to the game with a Tau ?...
Old 28 Mar 2009, 00:46   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default New to the game with a Tau ?...

Does a Tau shield drone give the 4+ invulnerable save to just itself or the unit you buy it for? Thanks for any immediate answer!
bloodflow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Mar 2009, 01:17   #2 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to icer190
Default Re: New to the game with a Tau ?...

Just its self, however you can allocate wounds to it so its not that bad.
icer190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Mar 2009, 01:18   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Its for itself, but you can allocate wounds to it instead of say your commander.
A shield generator on the commander would grant the commander an invulnerable save, but not the drone.

I hope I helped.

Also, this should probably be in the Tau Board.
lemon-green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Mar 2009, 13:54   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Drones are, as already stated, just additional squad members with a 4+ invulnerable save. You can allocate wounds to them, just like you would allocate wounds to special weapons in a team (p. 25 of the Rulebook). So, it's quite good to catch the occasional Lascannon or Krak Missile that would otherwise redmist a Crisis.

But please don't forget that you can only allocate a second wound to the Shield Drone if every other model in the unit has already taken a wound.
[hr]
An example:

A unit of 3 Crisis (armed identically, but one a 'Vre with a Hardwired DC), and two Shield Drones.

A unit of Marine Devastors shoots the squad, wound three times with Krak Missiles and 4 times with Bolters.

You don't want to loose your Crisis, you you allocate two Krak Missiles to the two Drones. Note that you can't allocate the third Krak to the Drones - yet. First, every other model needs to receive a wound. You distribute the three Bolter wounds to the Crisis (one to the Crisis with Drone Controller). Now, every single model in the unit has taken a wound. You proceed to distribute the remaining wounds (1 Krak, 1 Bolter). You give the remaining Krak wound to a Drone, and the last Bolter shot to a "normal" Crisis.

Now, you take 3 invulnerable saves for the Drones, one armor save for the Crisis with DC, and three armor saves for the reaminig two Crisis.

Cheers,
-Bone
CmdrBonesaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Mar 2009, 14:12   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

So, if a unit of 3 Crisis (each with a different weapons/support systems setup) with no Drones suffers 3 Lascannon hits and 4 Bolter hits, it is OK to remove one model for all 3 Lascannon hits and take 2 Saves per each remaining Crisis?

Strange. :-\

Watchdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Mar 2009, 16:18   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

No! if there are wounds that would inflict instant death these have to be allocated one each to avoid people doing exactly that! The remaining bolters than get spread out afterwards not before just in case lascannons just dodn't cut it!

;D
Old 28 Mar 2009, 17:34   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unholy Harbinger
No! if there are wounds that would inflict instant death these have to be allocated one each to avoid people doing exactly that! The remaining bolters than get spread out afterwards not before just in case lascannons just dodn't cut it!

;D
OK, we play it like this here, but where exactly does it say so in the rules, that you have to distribute Instant Death Wounds one per model first, please?

Old 28 Mar 2009, 17:52   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Page 26, right column.

Actually, my (German) Rulebook reads (rough translation): "If there are wounds caused by instant-death weapons, you have to remove undamaged models first." Note that this does NOT relate to wound allocation, but to casualty removal, and is only critical if you have "groups" of models with the exact equipment.

To give an example:

You have a unit of 3 Crisis. 2 have identical weapons, one is a 'Vre.
The unitr eceives a Plasma wound and a Krak Missile wound. You decide to allocate both wounds to the "normal" Crisis.
Now, you have to remove a "full" Crisis FIRST for the Krak Missile, and then let the second Crisis take another wound. Otherwise, you could just let one Crisis take both hits - Plasma first, then Krak, and only one Crisis down.

Now, this only concerns casualty removal, NOT wound allocation.

If you have, for example, three Crisis, each with different weapons, and one with only one reamining wound, nothing in the rules stop you from allocating the Krak hit to the wounded Crisis, and the Plasma hit to a different Crisis.

[hr]

I know, wound allocation can be tricky - especially with large two-wound models with a boatload of options (Ork Nobs come to mind). But if you keep in mind that "wound allocation" and "casualty removal" are two different steps, it is quite easy to understand.

Cheers,
-Bone
CmdrBonesaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Mar 2009, 17:57   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchdog
So, if a unit of 3 Crisis (each with a different weapons/support systems setup) with no Drones suffers 3 Lascannon hits and 4 Bolter hits, it is OK to remove one model for all 3 Lascannon hits and take 2 Saves per each remaining Crisis?
CmdrBonesaw, therefore the above example is a valid tactics? You give one suit a Lascannon Wound, then both others receive one Bolter Wound each, you repeat the proces and then give the first Suit the last Lascannon Wound?

I would frown upon a player doing this.

Old 28 Mar 2009, 19:04   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to Pisces_808

Quote:
Quote:
CmdrBonesaw, therefore the above example is a valid tactics? You give one suit a Lascannon Wound, then both others receive one Bolter Wound each, you repeat the proces and then give the first Suit the last Lascannon Wound?

I would frown upon a player doing this.
But it's all done together. You put 3 Las on the first 2 bolter on the second and 2 bolter on the last. Sure it can be dirty to see it played that way, but otherwise suits would die even faster. But this only works if you have 3 diffrent weapon load-outs. Because they have diffrent potentials you allocate before rolling saves.

Why is this diffrent from a character that takes a inv save when the unit can't? They do the same thing, they divide the shots so they take less casualties. A multi-wound model in a single wound squad could sink a few wounds before you had to remove a model. It is a diffrent model/load-out so can be used to take the wounds. Unless I am wrong :P I don't have my rulebook with me.

Greetz

Pisces_808 is offline   Reply With Quote