Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Broadside vs. Hammerhead, Snipers vs. Pathfinders, etc
Old 26 Mar 2009, 21:35   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Broadside vs. Hammerhead, Snipers vs. Pathfinders, etc

I haven't had enough play experience to use either much of these, but I'm trying to flesh out a good 1500 point list that I'm happy with, can could use some help.

Broadsides versus Hammerheads. Are Hammerheads worth it, if Broadsides have twin-linked railguns?

How about a Sniper Drone team versus Pathfinders? The pathfinders obviously get the bonus of markerlights, but otherwise, they sound like a point *and* a money trap to me, whereas sniper drones get pretty long range and cost about half as much in both regards, and still get a markerlight.

XV15 Stealth team versus XV8? Is it worth taking a team of stealth suits instead of a TL flamer suit, or a TL fusion cannon suit? Should I take a marker drone with the team, if I take them?
Foxxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Mar 2009, 21:46   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to Wild
Default Re: Broadside vs. Hammerhead, Snipers vs. Pathfinders, etc

Second question will basically be unanimous on: Sniper Drone Teams suck. They're the worst Heavy choice in the entire Codex. Pathfinders are by far better in every regards.
Old 26 Mar 2009, 21:49   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild
Second question will basically be unanimous on: Sniper Drone Teams suck. They're the worst Heavy choice in the entire Codex. Pathfinders are by far better in every regards.
Why do they suck? My list is pretty solid now, but I'd have to drop a Piranha to grab the pathfinders. What's the difference between them?
Old 26 Mar 2009, 21:53   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

Broadsides - More accurate but less mobile - vulnerable to flanking. If you take these then I would take as many as possible and give them a bodyguard of kroot for each unit. Otherwise a ddeepstriking unit could take them all out with little danger. The kroot will hold the enemy up if nothing else.

Hammerheads - Submunition (awsome) - Cost more. If you give them disruption pods then they are one of the most resilient tanks at range. They have an awsome main gun and are IMO then best main battle tank in 40K for their price

Sniper drones - if you are going to take one, take three. At least then you can lay down some serious hurt. If you are going static and want some anit MEQ then they are awsome, just remember to protect them from outflankers/deepstrikers

Pathfinders - ok with rail rifles but are more of a support unit IMO, leave the sniper drones to anti MEQ and just light things up with pathfinders. This may not sound like great value for points but the ability to strip a cover save AND makeit 2+ to hit can cause a lot of hurt.

If you are going static then I would take 1-4 broadsides and 2-3 sniper teams. THis will give you a good firebase which could be easily added to with lots of firewarriors.

If going mobile then I would take some pathfinders and hammerheads. They will provide you with good mobility but also the ability to do some serious harm, 12 rapid firing firewarriors when used in conjunction with some pathfinders could easily result in
24 shots (2+to hit) 20 hits - 12 wounds - 4 failed armour saves (3+)
henbobbleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Mar 2009, 22:03   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Henbobbleb pretty much covered it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyndmyr
Things I miss: Sane Anubis.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffin Archer
"So, what you're saying is that you need someone dumber . . . You may have come to the right place." -Col. Jack O'Neil
DemiGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Mar 2009, 22:10   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Alright, thanks for the quick responses everyone. I decided to drop the snipers and piranha from my list, and now I have a hammerhead, 2 broadsides, and a pathfinder team. If you wanna see my full list (and I could use some comments and/or critiques on it) see here, bottom of the thread.
Old 27 Mar 2009, 03:19   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to xShaperx

Unless I'm fighting Orks, I steer away from a Hammerhead. It's just so many points for a single non-twinlinked railgun. And I -always- roll 1's when I shoot that thing. I can't hit for my life. And, for the points, I can throw in a fairly nice Stealth or Crisis Team, or maybe another squad of Kroot.

Typically instead of a Hammerhead (170~pts) I run 2 Broadsides (200pts). They're more survivable, pack a heavier punch, and are highly accurate. Best tank killing unit in the game is a Broadside with a TA+ Shield Drone.

Sniper Drones are garbage. Pathfinders are the bread and butter of a Tau army, Sniper Drones are just.....unnecessary and useless. Leave damage dealing to your battlesuit teams (highly mobile hvy weapon platforms), not stupid sniper teams (stationary vulnerable heavy weapon squad).

and yes, Piranhas are great and are always heroes, always.

Shas'ui Kel'shan Mont'au Mal'caor: The Terror Spider of Kel'shan

www.myspace.com/nathanhotdog
xShaperx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Mar 2009, 03:39   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Merqu

Do not take Rail Rifles in Pathfinders. That precious Markerlights being sacrificed. Sniper Drones are actually a Highly under rated unit. Yes they do not compare to the awesome-ness of HH and Broadsides, but that is also their advantage. The fact they appear to be useless, killing a MEQ or 2 a round per squad isn't going to get you opponent that worked up. Not when theres Pathfinders, Crisis Suits, Broadsides and Hammer Heads to chew on. Add the Stealth Field and place them in a corner n you got unit that will sit back rattling off shots through out the game almost. Also can make a good static defence for Broadsides .

As for HH/Broadsides take both. Broadsides can pump out Rail shots like no tomorrow, but the Hammerhead can provide a single mobile shot where needed and need i mention Submunitions... death to FEQs, GEQs and hordes galour! and forces saves on MEQs and TEQs which is never a bad thing. 2 Heads and a Squad of 3 Broadsides IMO is a good Heavy selection.
Merqu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Mar 2009, 06:13   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Sniper teams vs pathfinders: Before 5th edition wound allocation rules, the sniper teams had a slight advantage in my opinion over railfinders. Their biggest disadvantage was that they took a Heavy Support slot that could otherwise be used for a tank or broadsides. Under 5th edition rules, the fact that you can't guarantee the spotter goes down last makes the pathfinders the better choice. Just remember that their primary job is markerlighting and each rail rifle costs you a markerlight. Don't be afraid to run a second pathfinder squad if you're using a fair number of rail rifles in them.

Broadsides vs hammerheads: It depends some on their intended role. For long range tank killers there's nothing better than broadsides, outside of Apocalypse! Although the hammerhead is tough, I think the broadsides are more resilient. A single lucky shot will drop a hammerhead, but it will take at least 5 shots (or 2 shots and a failed leadership) to wipe out a squad of three broadsides and two shield drones. Broadsides are also better at killing terminators because they can get up to 3 armor-piercing shots each if equipped with plasma rifles (not that you ever want terminators to get that close, of course). The advantages of the hammerhead are mobility and light-infantry killing. Even with the Advanced Stabilization System, broadsides will never be as mobile as a hammerhead, and they can't do submunition or carry six burst cannon shots.

Part of the decision actually depends on how you like your crisis suits. If you're going to go with hammerheads, which are not as good at killing tanks, then bring a couple of crisis suits with twin fusion blasters. If you prefer broadsides, your crisis suits will have to help kill infantry, so equip them with things like burst cannons, missile pods, and the Special Issue weapons.
knightperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Mar 2009, 06:32   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Has anyone used the Marker Drone Stealth Squad? Stealth Suits with Marker Drones allow you to have a mobile markerlight and if some bozo comes close you can light him up with the burst cannon.

Heck when the Marker Drones are gone, go hunting with the burst cannons.