Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Kroot special rules
Old 26 Mar 2009, 16:07   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Kroot special rules

For some reason, I have long been under the impression that kroot cannot perform sweeping advances (they stay to eat the enemy) and that kroot hounds get a free hit against units that fall back from combat with them. Imagine my surprise, then, when I checked the Tau codex and realized that neither of these is actually the case!

Where did I get these crazy ideas? The 3rd edition codex? The Kroot Merc list?

And furthermore, how broken are these rules if used as a house rule (considering I've been mistakenly playing them that way for awhile in my local group)? Do I owe my opponents an apology for essentially cheating, have I been cheating myself out of wins, or do the two rules basically even out to relatively fair?
Bluecinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Mar 2009, 16:20   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Grunt90 Send a message via MSN to Grunt90 Send a message via Yahoo to Grunt90
Default Re: Kroot special rules

The eaters of the dead rule was in the 3rd edition codex, and also i think the release the hounds rule was too. you were just using the 3rd edition special rules, thats all.

"Horn and hoof, power is there. Not feeble smoothskin, clumsy greenskin, wicked elf-swine. Gor is strong, Gor is true. Gor shall kill all, slay all for the gods!"

Beastlord Gorthor

Survivor of the 06' Battle Royale!
Grunt90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Mar 2009, 16:26   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grunt90
The eaters of the dead rule was in the 3rd edition codex, and also i think the release the hounds rule was too. you were just using the 3rd edition special rules, thats all.
Exactly.

And don't worry; the only person you were cheating was yourself. Just re-read the sweeping advance section of the Rulebook - you'll see that a "proper" sweeping advance is far better than a number of S X hits for every Kroot Hound in the unit

Cheers,
-Bone
CmdrBonesaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Mar 2009, 17:57   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Thanks, guys. That makes me feel far less crazy.
Bluecinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Mar 2009, 19:04   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to LordZanuu

I think Furious charge would be a great idea for kroot. that would make them more terrifying in CC, as they should be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapter Master Seth
you can never go wrong with a little promethium.
Your resident MathHammerererer-er.
LordZanuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Mar 2009, 19:14   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Tausand sun Send a message via Yahoo to Tausand sun

I think they should have a much higher initiative and lower strength myself, I mean they're supposed to be more along the lines of an eldar CC unit with great agility, but yet the have the same Strength as a space marine... who are genetically engineered, and wear power armor.... just what kind of genetic material are these guys eating?
"The Imperium has abandoned us brothers! And these blue-skinned "saviors" seek only to enslave us. Follow me and march to freedom so we might transform the galaxy into a peaceful place for all sentient species!" -- Commander Alexander of the 88th Aldarian Phoenix Regiment
Tausand sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Mar 2009, 19:21   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

I don't really know what Kroot would need for me to use them :P. The no armour save (we play with no forest-area terrain) and the (in my opinion) ugly models are a huge turn-off, even though they're practically our only CC unit :-\. I chose Tau because of their play style and looks, and Kroot don't fit either .
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Man They Call Jayne
Yeah Ahab, your not nearly dirty minded enough.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silk Spectre
Mass Effect Two please have my babies.
Help people at the hungersite.com
Shasel_Ahab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Mar 2009, 19:24   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tausand sun
I think they should have a much higher initiative and lower strength myself, I mean they're supposed to be more along the lines of an eldar CC unit with great agility, but yet the have the same Strength as a space marine... who are genetically engineered, and wear power armor.... just what kind of genetic material are these guys eating?
The extra strength is justified by their having a denser musculature than the average human, creating a whiplash effect as they thwackoom their enemies dead. That said, I5 is beautiful for killing enemies; if only Kroot could have Fleet like in the Mercenaries codex...
Old 26 Mar 2009, 19:26   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Tausand sun Send a message via Yahoo to Tausand sun

I chose tau because they have the best tanks (Str 10 ap 1 main gun, 12 inch move while firing, equivalent of a 4+ Invuln save) that also happen to be some of the cheapest. So I go full mechanized, max fire warrior uints for FoF with flechette dischargers so that when they assault those devilfish they take even more wounds and then are free to be fired upon by my fire warriors again. Thinking about going Pulse carbine and EMP grenades for them too, but I do like me some rapid fire. 24 of the best infantry shots in the game can't go wrong.

well true but marines are ultra strong with POWER armor. It just doesn't seem right for them to be as strong as a marine.... though on the flip side for them to be as weak as a gaurdsmen would be wrong too.
"The Imperium has abandoned us brothers! And these blue-skinned "saviors" seek only to enslave us. Follow me and march to freedom so we might transform the galaxy into a peaceful place for all sentient species!" -- Commander Alexander of the 88th Aldarian Phoenix Regiment
Tausand sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Mar 2009, 19:28   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to LordZanuu

Power armour doesn't enhance strength, just provide a decent armour save, and maybe increase toughness slightly. I think that they should have initiative 4/5, but i agree with the rest of the statline. And as mentioned, they should have fleet, even if in woodland, and have furious charge.
Having the weapons as Assault 2 would better suit their nature.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapter Master Seth
you can never go wrong with a little promethium.
Your resident MathHammerererer-er.
LordZanuu is offline   Reply With Quote