Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Farsight in Close combat?
Old 26 Mar 2009, 04:45   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Tausand sun Send a message via Yahoo to Tausand sun
Default Farsight in Close combat?

so what/who exactly can farsight stand up to in close combat? Something I've been thinking for a while now. Both actual experience and theory please?

oh and as an aside, what about giving all his seven samurai TL flamers and shield gens?
"The Imperium has abandoned us brothers! And these blue-skinned "saviors" seek only to enslave us. Follow me and march to freedom so we might transform the galaxy into a peaceful place for all sentient species!" -- Commander Alexander of the 88th Aldarian Phoenix Regiment
Tausand sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Mar 2009, 05:32   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Re: Farsight in Close combat?

I would say any of the following he would annihilate in CC

Imperial Guard character/officers infantry
Most standard space marines/chaos space marines/Sisters of battle/ Necron Warriors (as long as not lead by a squad sergeant/champion etc with a power fist/claw)
Alot of Ork units
Alot of Tyranid units

The following I would only attack in CC if I had no choice

Squad leaders with power weapons like Ork Nobs/ SM sergeants/ CSM Champions/ Eldar Exarchs
Space Marine Captains
CSM Lesser Chaos lords
Sisters of Battles Cannoness
Necron Immortals (only because they are usually in large groups and have high toughness)
Lictors
Inquisitors
Anything like these

Everything else, stay away from. Like

Tyranid Heroes Hive Tyrand/Carnifex/Broodlord
SM Chapter Masters or Characters or Vanguard Veterans
Chaos Space Marine Demon Princes/ Chaos Lords/ Characters
Necron Pariahs or Necron Lords
Imperial Assasins/Grey Knights
Ork Warbosses or Characters

All of this is from actually experience.
Old 26 Mar 2009, 05:48   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Unusualsuspect Send a message via MSN to Unusualsuspect

Out of curiosity, why Lictors?
Old 26 Mar 2009, 06:39   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Let's just say that all too often people don't choose to fight the Lictor. The Lictor chooses to fight them.
Old 26 Mar 2009, 07:23   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tausand sun
oh and as an aside, what about giving all his seven samurai TL flamers and shield gens?
Probably not a good idea - you want a A good mix of equipment, to profit from the wound allocation rules, and B you DO want to get into CC - and if all your Crisis are equipped with TL Flamers, you'll most likely roast the unit you'd actually prefer to charge...

Cheers,
-Bone
CmdrBonesaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Mar 2009, 09:37   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Thanks to breakaway faction, Farsight's probably underpriced for his abilities.
I regularly pit him against Hive Tyrants which he usually beats thanks to the very handy invulnerable save and strong statline.
Throw in a plasma rifle beforehand, and you have a pretty good chance of downing Hive Tyrants. Don't try Carnifexes though.
Don't get a very good diversity in opponents to say about the other ones.

Sometimes I run him with one of the original Ninja'Os who simply bails if combat gets too fierce. Bodyguards are limited to a pair of Plasma/Shield Suits and not taken very often.
Korill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Mar 2009, 13:12   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by LtCmdrTyler

The following I would only attack in CC if I had no choice

Squad leaders with power weapons like Ork Nobs/ SM sergeants/ CSM Champions/ Eldar Exarchs
Space Marine Captains
CSM Lesser Chaos lords
Sisters of Battles Cannoness
Necron Immortals (only because they are usually in large groups and have high toughness)
Lictors
Inquisitors
Anything like these

Everything else, stay away from. Like

with his seven samurai, shouldn't you be able to vaporize marines in just a turn or two, I mean with no armor saves it seems like he'd eat marines and he's got 14 abaltive wounds, which I'd pimp out with 4+ invuln saves.
"The Imperium has abandoned us brothers! And these blue-skinned "saviors" seek only to enslave us. Follow me and march to freedom so we might transform the galaxy into a peaceful place for all sentient species!" -- Commander Alexander of the 88th Aldarian Phoenix Regiment
Old 26 Mar 2009, 16:32   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
with his seven samurai, shouldn't you be able to vaporize marines in just a turn or two, I mean with no armor saves it seems like he'd eat marines and he's got 14 abaltive wounds, which I'd pimp out with 4+ invuln saves.
Well, only as longas there's a powerfist buried somewhere in the Marine unit, then Farsight easily could check out...
Please make sure you understand the proper wound allocation when it comes to ICs in CC - sure, Farsight can use his Bodyguard and their Drones as a meatshield against shooting attacks (most of the time), but when it comes to CC; it IS possible to allocate attacks to Farsight himself (page 49 of the Rulebook) - and, as mentioned above, a single Powerfist might easily ruin Farsights renegade career for good.

Cheers,
-Bone
CmdrBonesaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Mar 2009, 17:35   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

what, you can't assign wounds to his bodyguard, that's lame.
Old 26 Mar 2009, 17:40   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unusualsuspect
Out of curiosity, why Lictors?
Lictors have an wonderful Weapon skill and can tie up a unit for a while. As a Nid player, I use them to make a unit stay still long enough for the Fex to get to it. Lictors are hard to kill with Tau in CC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CmdrBonesaw
Quote:
Well, only as longas there's a powerfist buried somewhere in the Marine unit, then Farsight easily could check out...
Please make sure you understand the proper wound allocation when it comes to ICs in CC - sure, Farsight can use his Bodyguard and their Drones as a meatshield against shooting attacks (most of the time), but when it comes to CC; it IS possible to allocate attacks to Farsight himself (page 49 of the Rulebook) - and, as mentioned above, a single Powerfist might easily ruin Farsights renegade career for good.

Cheers,
-Bone
IIRC Commanders with Bodyguards lose their IC statis until the bodyguard is destroyed. It is like the ShadowSun Drones. You can not join a unit until her drones are dead, since they take away IC statis. Shadowsun's ruling and the clarification on bodyguards are in the 5th edition FAQ for Tau, unless I am leaving out something.

No. What I am saying is that my Air Support has lots of Ground Cadre.

If a Land Raider dies to a rail gun, and no one was around to see it, does the kill point still exist?
ranzin927 is offline   Reply With Quote