Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

I need some help.
Closed Thread
Old 03 Jun 2005, 02:09   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to Commander Cool
Default I need some help.

I cloud use some suggestions on how to defet IG tanks without broadsides, or hammerheads. (specificly Basilisk, griffin, leman russ exterminator and demolisher)

any help is appreciated.
Old 03 Jun 2005, 02:32   #2 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Re: I need some help.

My first suggestion is to buy a hammerhead. I don't say this to be an ass, but rather because without one, the job will be very difficult! No other Tau weaponry has the range to get close enough without first dieing by massed lasgun fire. (Eventually, those flashlights will clean your armour enough that it will clean a hole right through it and kill you!)

Aside from Railheads and Broadsides, you could make a team of suicide Crisis Suits. Since they are pretty much garunteed to die, I would keep their equipment to a minimal. TL Fusion Gun is all that I would give them. Maybe a cheap flamer incase they do survive, just to cook up some nice human meat.. Deepstrike them behind the Russ and hope they don't scatter out of range.

Good Luck, My tank hunting Tau brother
-Muds
Old 03 Jun 2005, 02:36   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Thank you for your tremendous help. Truth is, I did have a hammerhead, it met it's fate in the jaws of a dog. *Sob* there was plastic everywhere :'(! Thanks though, I will give it a shot.

For the Greater Good!
Old 03 Jun 2005, 02:49   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Oh, well then! I did not realize that this was so easy! Just send Spot after your friends IG tanks! With 420 Mass points and 600 wounds, I doubt they could possibly take him down :P

Nah, I am sorry to hear that.. I would dread losing my Hammerhead!
-Muds
Old 03 Jun 2005, 09:06   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

Aslo seeker missiles can do the work but don't try it on Russ front armor. Any unit deepstriking behind IG tank can kill it end fusion blaster isn't necesary the best choice as it have only one shot. So i using suit with Fusion Blaster and missile pod to hunt tanks. It could be even better if you managed to spot for the weapons with marker light.
Old 03 Jun 2005, 10:12   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Deep Striking Gun Drones would work as well, though you'd have to have a bit of luck penetrating even their rear armour.

~Andromidius
Old 03 Jun 2005, 10:22   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Commander cool, remember - seeker missiles interact with armor in a straight line from the carrier. If your devilfish, for example is carrying some seekers and you light up the Leman Russ and it's flanked, you can hit the side or back armor.

Join the arena, and succumb to the eternal lust!
http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=9054.0
Old 03 Jun 2005, 12:06   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to MalVeauX

Ouch...

The best/worst tank ever created... the magical Griffon. Now that piece of work is something to fear, even from Tau standards. And that is a lot of pesky armor to fight, being that a good portion of it is out of sight from you. I assume he's using Armored Company, because you're talking 4 tanks here, plus the Griffon doesn't even exist in the 40k codex anymore, as they moved it to the armored company solely.

Anyhow - everyone has recommended the Hammerhead for a reason. Mobile railgun action is quite important, but you're only going to be punching in the face of his heaviest of armors, which are A14. The Russ variants aren't what pose you the problem. It's the Griffon and Basilisk that will drop doom on your troops. Pathfinders are toast because even if they do get a turn to sit down and markerlight something, which they probably won't have much time to do, there's a template or two coming their way very fast. Ground troops of Stealths are also in trouble against these boys. The same is true for Crisis, as they're going to be targeted and smashed repeatedly. Kroot might get ignored, but that's a very big might if they're anywhere near the enemy.

So how does Tau beat a Tank army that's mostly full of Ordinance? Answer :: Skimmers

Ordinance has been seriously nerfed against vehicles, and especially Skimmers. It is -very- difficult for any ordinance to actually hit and break your skimmer due to how it works now (meaning: his ordinance template must have the center whole over your Tank's hull, if not, it's only 1/2 the strength of the hit, and you're a skimmer that's moving and only glanceable with a re-roll thanks to Decoy Launchers). The best he might pull on you is a S5 hit with 2D6 extra, but only choosing the highest of the two, for a maximum of 11 on a 6+. Unless he nicks your rear armor with some kind of magical luck, or unless he actually scores a "hit" on your skimmer, you're pretty much going to just ignore it if you just keep to the course and keep moving fast.

Now, a Devilfish can destroy a Leman Russ, Griffon and Basilisk. But it cannot easily destroy a Demolisher. The Demolisher should be the Railgun's priority target to remove those extra weapons quickly (ie: plasma cannons if he takes those). Then your Hammerhead should be hitting that Leman Russ next.

What if we don't have Devilfish or the Fish just can't pull their weight even upgraded to beat one of his little barrage tanks? :: Gun Drones

Gun Drones may be pathetic to some, but they work magic for others. Gun Drones are great at deep striking and taking 8 twin-linked S5 shots into rear armor on various tanks from 18 inches. Generally you can glance or even pull a penetrate on a vehicle and cause at least a stun, which buys you time, or you may simply cripple the vehicle by destroying his armament (on a 4). Two glances gives you pretty good odds of doing something really bad to his tank.

Crisis Suits can do this too, more accurately of course, with Death Rain class suits with twin-linked Missile Pods and Target Locks dropping from the sky. 3 Death Rain XV8's can destroy his basilisk and the Griffon in a single volley generally. Though adding some deep striking Drones for extra glances may be helpful.

Really, it shouldn't be that hard for you to take him down so long as you're not hoofing it on the ground. Ordnance and barrage is meant to smash infantry, not vehicles, and especially not Skimmers or deep striking units. Just use the things that he cannot touch and watch how easy it becomes.

Good luck!
Old 04 Jun 2005, 00:53   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Thank you for all your help. Next time I play him i should have a better chance. I also forgot to add in his Chimera.

Thanks once again for all the help.