Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Ethereal in a 3000pt army???
Old 24 Mar 2009, 05:18   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Ethereal in a 3000pt army???

So I am in the final stages of putting together a 3000pt Tau army. In smaller games the Ethereal isn't a prefrered choice, but in a 3000pt game, I'm torn.
In a nutshell the background fluff my Shas'O has incorporated some of Commander Farsight's tactics into his Cadre. So, my army is balanced between a mobile hit & run, and a shooty army. I just keep on going back & forth if I should take an Ethereal with a honor guard (I have four, 12 man strong, Fire warrior teams and the extra morale boost is always helpful) or should I go with a hooked up Shas'el?
Thanks for the feedback.
Old 24 Mar 2009, 06:00   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to crazyguy832
Default Re: Ethereal in a 3000pt army???

Unless you plan on getting an ethereal killed while having all your Tau units use Shadowsun's ld... I honestly wouldn't do it. Far too much of a chance of dropping and running, and the tactic will only help against some armies (dedicated CC troops will still destroy you).

Do It! ;D
5th edition stats (W/D/L)
Deathwing: 14/6/3
Tau: 5/0/3
Blood Angels (NEW): 10/1/3
Blood Angels (OLD): 27/5/10
Eldar: 10/0/1
Death Guard: 1/0/0
crazyguy832 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Mar 2009, 06:05   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

So take the extra Shas'el and put the points in other units?
Old 24 Mar 2009, 06:13   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

with the tlos rules in place, an ethereal can return to cover and still reliably direct most of his troops. of course, the only reliable way to see if it'll work is to actually try it.
Old 24 Mar 2009, 08:09   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Ethereal: Pay 50 points to add the following special ability to your army somewhere between turns 1 and 3:
"1/3 your army falls back off the table edges"

Aun'Shi was the only good one.
Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Mar 2009, 13:13   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova
Ethereal: Pay 50 points to add the following special ability to your army somewhere between turns 1 and 3:
"1/3 your army falls back off the table edges"

Aun'Shi was the only good one.
I've only fought one battle with Tau where an Ethereal was used. He tried to hide him behind his forces but some mortars made short work of his squad. I would advise against it as there are many many ways for every army to either hit him with indirect fire, or outflank and rush over to him.

I think you'll find that your whole force will be on the defensive trying to protect him rather than taking objectives or attacking your opponent.

USAFTACP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Mar 2009, 17:59   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Thanks y'all. It sucks b/c I have an idea that I would have taken the Aun'shi figure and green stuffed an armor torso on him. It would look kinda like the photo of the ethereal on the cover of the Tau Empire codex. I still might do the figure, but it seems like I should squash the Ethereal in my 3000pt army.