Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

How do u use pathfinders with deadlyness?
Old 24 Mar 2009, 02:58   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Send a message via MSN to Zepher_3
Default How do u use pathfinders with deadlyness?

i have just bought myself 8 pathfinders with rail rifles, and i needs a little help to use them well enough to counter there points.
ATM all i use them for is as snipers.

as well as should i give them a devilfish. i have 3 hammerheads, but i only use 2 of em, due to my broadside team.

little help
much thanks :-\
Zepher_3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Mar 2009, 03:30   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: How do u use pathfinders with deadlyness?

You MUST have a 'fish if you take pathfinders. However, you can after game starts 'give' it to other squads, so that part isn't too bad. Its certainly not as powerful for its cost as a waveserpent, but its a good transport.

Pathfinders on their own are pretty near worthless. What they provide is an inexpensive (dirt cheap if you didn't have to pack a fish with them) markerlight. What do you do with that? You target something you don't like.

Statistically, half of said hits will give the target a markerlight counter.

Then you use them to remove its cover and boost the ballistics on that fire-warrior squad so they'll kill it quite dead. Or you launch 2, 3, maybe even more seekers on that tank, using seekers mounted on vehicles to its side or rear (since the seeker's starting location becomes the hit direction for armor). Or even on characters if you really want them dead.

Read the markerlight entry in your codex. They aren't straightforward like guns. You shoot with them in order to make the other things firing at them (you can split the counters up, giving bonuses or removing cover for several squads about to fire at the target) more effective. A LOT more effective. One markerlight counter could make 12 fire warriors hit 66.67% of the time instead of 50% for example.

In fifth edition by far its greatest use is eliminating (yes, you can reduce the cover save to 0) cover, therefore negating a lot of saves.

The rail rifles... I don't like. Not enough shots or range for what they can do. If you really want them try and fit a trio of sniper teams instead; they come with a stealth field so its not as deadly to sit there.
Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Mar 2009, 03:41   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Pathfinders on their own are pretty near worthless.
Really now? They work pretty damn fine with me and I have four of them.
Mandalorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Mar 2009, 03:57   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandalorian
Quote:
Pathfinders on their own are pretty near worthless.
Really now? They work pretty damn fine with me and I have four of them.
I think what he means is that by themselves they do little to no damage. In combination with the rest of the Tau army they are awesomely dangerous. The rail rifle variant can do a respectable amount of damage by themselves, but a maximum of 3 per squad can carry rail rifles, and that's not really what the pathfinders are for anyway.
knightperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Mar 2009, 05:35   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Knightperson is correct. Alone in a vacuum, pathfinders are quite terrible. BS3 carbine warriors for an extra two points? For that cost you could have twinlinked-BS2 carbine drones with jetpacks, after all.

With an army capable of using the markers they're extremely efficient if used correctly, but I'm not too fond of the rail rifles. Oh I love the stats on them, but they're more expensive than on sniper drones, and take away from your very cheap markerlights. I often toy around with trying to give them some, but then I realise if I want AP3 that badly, I could use an Ionhead or stick more seekers in there somewhere, without sacrificing any markerlights.
Old 24 Mar 2009, 07:02   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

What the rail rifles do is add flexibility to the unit. Since they automatically come with target locks you can spread your fire to multiple targets, with a chance to pin.

btw, if they weren't meant to do that, then they wouldn't be allowed to equip them. Alternate equipment allows for multiple roles, it's just a matter of how you use them.
Old 24 Mar 2009, 07:16   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorin
What the rail rifles do is add flexibility to the unit. Since they automatically come with target locks you can spread your fire to multiple targets, with a chance to pin.

btw, if they weren't meant to do that, then they wouldn't be allowed to equip them. Alternate equipment allows for multiple roles, it's just a matter of how you use them.
Your logic is flawed. Games Workshop creates a lot of silly upgrades for its units that people in their right mind should never take. For instance, taking Multi-trackers on Stealth Suits is pointless as they only have one weapon anyway. Likewise, removing your oh-so-cheap markerlights in exchange for sniper weaponry is brilliant, and by brilliant I mean stupid. As it stands, Sniper Drones are still your best bet for sniper-action; heck convert them up as Stealth snipers if you feel so inclined.
Old 24 Mar 2009, 08:20   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

You can technically equip Iridium armour on an Broadside Shas'Vre or forgeworld XV89. You never will, and certainly should not, but you can.

You can also give the A.S.S to a crisis suit, even though at the time that was added there WERE no heavy weapons available to them in the first place, and you'd also be crazy to do so. (speaking of which hopefully with the movement upgrades to everyone else broadsides'll be slow and purposeful to begin with, perhaps with the ASS giving the full 6" instead come next codex).

The big thing though is that hopefully the tau 'lasgun' (pulse weaponry) will be defensive. Burst cannons are (were, when the other side had heavy bolters) bad enough in that way to begin with, worse yet now that "our lightest stealth suit can wield it no problem but a tank can't move and fire it) but when a pulse rifle (tetra) isn't defensive either...
Old 24 Mar 2009, 08:47   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicJuggler
Your logic is flawed. Games Workshop creates a lot of silly upgrades for its units that people in their right mind should never take. For instance, taking Multi-trackers on Stealth Suits is pointless as they only have one weapon anyway. Likewise, removing your oh-so-cheap markerlights in exchange for sniper weaponry is brilliant, and by brilliant I mean stupid. As it stands, Sniper Drones are still your best bet for sniper-action; heck convert them up as Stealth snipers if you feel so inclined.
1. A Stealth team leader or Shas'vre can make use of a multi-tracker if he takes a markerlight.

2. When was the last time you tried Pathfinder rail rifles and in what capacity did you try it?

3. If the answer to 2 is never, then where do you get off calling the idea stupid and talking down people's logic?

Just because you can't see the purpose doesn't mean that others can't or shouldn't.
Old 24 Mar 2009, 09:02   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I can answer two for myself: twice, two months ago.

The first fight was against some ultramarines. The rails got their attention right fast; I had two groups of pathfinders and managed to pin one squad (if you spread so each unit causes 1-2 pininng tests on different units, eventually someone somewhere will fail one, even marines, sometimes, maybe, occasionally). Next turn things went for the worse as he closed in and decided to take out the threat.

Now granted that WAS what I'd baited for, but I got a very, very bad streak on shooting that round and he decimated them before even getting to CC them like he wanted to.

Second fight was against IG. There they proved superfluous in the extreme: my gundrones pinned better, and the S/AP on the rail really is meant to take out MEQ and occasionally a light vehicle or MC (well, in the same way plasma's used on vehicles). That it isn't "sniper" is both a blessing and a curse to it.

Its not that its a bad weapon, not by a longshot... but WHERE its made available is another story. Now if troops could equip some of those... well...