Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Pathfinders and Infiltrate
Old 23 Mar 2009, 18:57   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Pathfinders and Infiltrate

Having just used Pathfinders for the first time I think that giving them Infiltrate instead of Scout would better fit the way they should operate better.

Saying that I'm not sure I will bother using them again anyway!

I took eight Pathfinders and gave their Devilfish to a squad of Firewarriors, the PF used their scout move to get into a building and spent all game shining their laser pens in the enemies eyes!

The ML hits that they did get didn;t seem to do much good and several times some hits were wasted.

I will probably give them another try but I could get another squad of 13 Kroot for the same pts cost!

Roland
Old 23 Mar 2009, 21:02   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Re: Pathfinders and Infiltrate

Quote:
Originally Posted by StaffordGames
Having just used Pathfinders for the first time I think that giving them Infiltrate instead of Scout would better fit the way they should operate better.

Saying that I'm not sure I will bother using them again anyway!

I took eight Pathfinders and gave their Devilfish to a squad of Firewarriors, the PF used their scout move to get into a building and spent all game shining their laser pens in the enemies eyes!

The ML hits that they did get didn;t seem to do much good and several times some hits were wasted.

I will probably give them another try but I could get another squad of 13 Kroot for the same pts cost!

Roland
Well...

Pathfinders, when used effectively, cause the rest of your army to become ridiculously good. There isn't much that can withstand two squads of rapid firing fire warriors.

Fish of fury, anyone?

Seriously, 48 shots at BS5. 40 will hit. Vs an MEQ, about 26.33 will wound, and between 8 and 9 marines will die. Who wouldn't want that?

Versus T3, 4+ save enemies (guard with carapace armour, some eldar...), 40 will hit, 33.33 will wound, 16.66 will die. That can severely dent or destroy any light infantry squad.

I haven't got any pathfinders myself, but want them. The possibility of wiping out a whole squad of marines in one turn is just too great to say no
Old 23 Mar 2009, 22:50   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to crazyguy832

Quote:
Pathfinders, when used effectively, cause the rest of your army to become ridiculously good. There isn't much that can withstand two squads of rapid firing fire warriors.
As a general note, and because it's something a Tau commander should be aware of, you're going to do very little to a squad of plague marines. Even with BS5, you'll only end up killing 3.33 pm's. So... well... be careful, really.

Do It! ;D
5th edition stats (W/D/L)
Deathwing: 14/6/3
Tau: 5/0/3
Blood Angels (NEW): 10/1/3
Blood Angels (OLD): 27/5/10
Eldar: 10/0/1
Death Guard: 1/0/0
crazyguy832 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Mar 2009, 20:21   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyguy832
Quote:
As a general note, and because it's something a Tau commander should be aware of, you're going to do very little to a squad of plague marines. Even with BS5, you'll only end up killing 3.33 pm's. So... well... be careful, really.
Yeah, but they're plague marines

That's what plasma's for. Although, even then they won't kill that many. Plague marines are just ridiculous - there's not much we have that can reliably kill multiple plague marines in one turn.
Old 24 Mar 2009, 21:40   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

I simpy don't use them much due to not being very synergetic with my tatics. Some people swear by them and some simply swear at them ;D but like turok117 said if used effectively they can be a vital asset.

Thirty Seconds to Mars - Kings and Queens; Theme song of the Gue'vesa.
Fate13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Mar 2009, 21:51   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

pathfinders do 2 main things for me. Boost hit rate. Reduce save rate.
3xv8 with plasma and fusion- 9 armor punching shots.

with guidance from lights, 2 to hit, 2 to wound, and invulnerable save only. bye bye terminators.
Knight Actual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Mar 2009, 22:25   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to crazyguy832

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turok117
Quote:
Quote:

That's what plasma's for. Although, even then they won't kill that many. Plague marines are just ridiculous - there's not much we have that can reliably kill multiple plague marines in one turn.
Heh... like you mentioned, Tau's plasma even has trouble with them: each shot will only deal .33 wounds, not the best (compared to regular plasma at BS3 which will deal .42 wounds). But, since this isn't a discussion of plague marines, enough about them!

Pathfinders are awesome. Removing the cover save of light infantry and then popping them with pulse fire is probably one of the better uses, imo.

Do It! ;D
5th edition stats (W/D/L)
Deathwing: 14/6/3
Tau: 5/0/3
Blood Angels (NEW): 10/1/3
Blood Angels (OLD): 27/5/10
Eldar: 10/0/1
Death Guard: 1/0/0
crazyguy832 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Mar 2009, 22:41   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turok117
Quote:
Quote:

Heh... like you mentioned, Tau's plasma even has trouble with them: each shot will only deal .33 wounds, not the best (compared to regular plasma at BS3 which will deal .42 wounds). But, since this isn't a discussion of plague marines, enough about them!

Pathfinders are awesome. Removing the cover save of light infantry and then popping them with pulse fire is probably one of the better uses, imo.
Yeah, especially effective against units that have good cover saves, like ratlings or eldar rangers. IIRC, they don't have a save vs pulse fire, so simply lower cover saves, and bang, it's unit gone.

Of course, a spot of BS 4 or 5 never hurts
Old 25 Mar 2009, 02:52   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by StaffordGames
??? Maybe I just missed that bit in my codex but I didn't think the Tau Pathfinders could have Infiltrate.
Both units with Infiltrate or Scout can Outflank from reserves but that's the only connection they have that I can find. Help me out here 'cause I'd love Pathies with Infiltrate :.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Man They Call Jayne
Yeah Ahab, your not nearly dirty minded enough.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silk Spectre
Mass Effect Two please have my babies.
Help people at the hungersite.com
Shasel_Ahab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Mar 2009, 03:31   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Unusualsuspect Send a message via MSN to Unusualsuspect

I think he's suggesting a House Rule that replaces the Scout rule Pathfinders currently get with the Infiltrate special rule, not saying that it is a legal option he prefers.