Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Daemonhunters vs Tau
Closed Thread
Old 02 Jun 2005, 22:45   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to korik1
Default Daemonhunters vs Tau

I'm having a match soon against a friend who plays a pure Grey Knights army and I was wondering if anyone had any advice for me. I play Tau and my army list is:
HQ: Aun'shi
Elites: 3 crisis suits w/1 plasma rifle, 1 missile pod, multitracker each
they also have 4 shield drones
3 stealth suits
3 stealth suits
Troops: 12 fire warriors w/ photon grenades
12 fire warriors w/ photon grenades
Heavy Support: Hammerhead w/railgun, smart missiles, multitracker,
disruption pod, and decoy launchers

it's a 1000 point battle. He has around 20 grey knights and that's all. Mind you Grey knights are 20 pt each space marines.
Any advice at all would be appreciated.

Everyone is normal until you get to know them!

Old 02 Jun 2005, 23:01   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: Daemonhunters vs Tau

Do you have Drone Controllers for those Crisis Suits?

Looks like a fairly decent list. Just keep your distance and you shouldn't have many problems from him.

~Andromidius
Old 02 Jun 2005, 23:33   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to MalVeauX

Korik1:

Pure Grey Knights, especially raw infantry Grey Knights are one of the easiest enemies for a Tau commander to destroy. Remember, he is slow. His models are more than 20 points. And he does not have much in terms of long range firepower. The best weapon he can bring to the board is a Psycannon, which to even effect most of your army, would require him to stand stationary to fire it at long range, otherwise, it's no longer range than a burst cannon.

The big deal, is that Grey Knights rock in close combat. If you stay out of combat, you'll probably win hands down. Remember that typically you want to keep 24 inches between you and the Grey Knights at closest range, because they can move and fire 24 inches with their storm bolters (making a 30 inch attack basically). If he only has 20 models, you should have no problem as you can kill quite a few of them pretty easily.

For starters, I would drop Aun'Shi and simply use him as a normal Ethereal for the time being. Simply use your Crisis suits and Hammerhead to kill the Grey Knights. At the 24 inch range, you can basically kill about 4 Grey Knights per turn from your 3 XV8's and your Hammerhead alone. If you add in the Stealthsuits at the 18 inch range (but hopping back to the 24 inch range) you can add another 2, for a total of 6 Grey Knights in a turn on average. Now, you still have your pulse rifle Fire Warriors. I would recommend taking a good covered position and using long range to pepper their squads one time, early on. 24 shots from Fire Warriors at the 30 inch range will produce anywhere from 2 to 3 casualties on the grey knights. Then the next turn, after they move forward, you can move forward and use rapidfire, to increase to 48 shots, inflicting on average about 5 casualties. That's typically a squad of Grey Knights, and if he only has 20 Grey knights, well, you've got enough fire power to remove half of his army in one turn at the 24 inch range. That means, you only really need 2 turns to do that.

Anyhow - I'm sure you'll get more advise as the time passes, but basically, focus on each squad (the closest one) until it is removed completely, then hit the next and the next until it's finished. If he has terminators, beware because they can fire seriously long range, very powerful psycannons while on the move, but that would cost half of his points as well in 1,000.

Good luck!
Old 03 Jun 2005, 00:44   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to Seto

Yeah wacth out for any termies, do as MalVeauX said, and keep your range and use those big guns.

Old 03 Jun 2005, 01:46   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

I own a small 500 point Grey Knight army. I am fairly knowledgable of their rules.. The greatest advantage that GK have over Tau are deepstriking Terminators.

GKs can deepstrike, even in missions that normally do now allow deepstriking. When I play against my Tau friend, I will often deepstrike when his crisis suits are far enough away from his firewarriors that they cannot protect them. All the GKs need to do is get their Grandmaster and a Termie or two in combat and you are ruined. Keep your fire warrior squads far enough apart that the GKs cannot sweep into them, and keep them close enough to your crisis suits that they can defend each other. The most common mistake my friend makes is not advancing his Fire Warriors, which makes it easier to isolate his own units (which is odd because thats what Tau are supposed to do)

Good luck, tell us how it goes
-Muds
Old 03 Jun 2005, 04:56   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Aquila_XV8

Korik1, I have two words for you: Mech Tau!! read this http://www-personal.engin.umich.edu/~leebj/index.html, It will solve all your problems.

Aquila

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wargamer
Welcome to the Navy, Chevron.

Longest Ever Maiden Chain: 55
Old 03 Jun 2005, 06:02   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to joeboy77

I had fun with the Grey Knights fielding 6 plasma rifle missle pod multi-trakka combo and a squad of 3 broad-sides.

Lots and lots of fire warriors and my ethereal as the mission target (assult and assassinate) in city fight.

Having clean LOS and the 4 inch coherency increased out chances for a clean kill. (then again, Tau are quite good at defending !!)

O0 O0

So get off yer butt and go for your dreams !!

Please Visit http://www.forevermorejewellery.com

Do you know that WoW spelled backwards is WoW ??

Read it upside down, it spells MoM...

Freakky
Old 04 Jun 2005, 00:53   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via AIM to Dralok Send a message via MSN to Dralok

Man... i play tau, and i practically jump for joy(figuratively speaking) when i see my space marine opponent i gonna be using terminators! ;D I love it when he deepstrikes... (*note that my army is usually within a distance to support each of my units) and his termies kill maybe... a few fire warriors... or does some minor damage... then i jump in within 12" with 3 crisis suits with plasma rifles and fusion blasters and hit his squad with 8 markerlights! i just love seeing those Termies FRY! > I have never had trouble dealing with terminators.

Shas'la-"Sir are you sure we shouldn't be running away from the Blood thirster?"
Shas'ui-"Of course not, dont you have complete faith in our ethreals? for the greater good... CHARGE!"

Old 04 Jun 2005, 01:30   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

They've pretty much covered it. The Photons will help if he charges or deep strikes the Termies... but probably not enough to keep your boys alive. I am curious as to how you managed to get 4 Shield Drones in a group with 3 Fireknives. I could see 2 if you upgraded one of the FK to squad lead and gave him a HWDC, but the other 2 are something of a mystery.
Old 04 Jun 2005, 15:41   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sightline
They've pretty much covered it. The Photons will help if he charges or deep strikes the Termies... but probably not enough to keep your boys alive. I am curious as to how you managed to get 4 Shield Drones in a group with 3 Fireknives. I could see 2 if you upgraded one of the FK to squad lead and gave him a HWDC, but the other 2 are something of a mystery.
yeah only one crisis can have HW the Team Leader

Death Guard win 13 tie 0 lost 2

dark eldar wins 5 tie 0 lost 1
Closed Thread