Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

An odd thought...
Closed Thread
Old 02 Jun 2005, 23:31   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default An odd thought...

I was thinking ( which is an odd occurance in and of itself) that if you charged the gun drones from your DFs on a close combat unit during an FoF attack, they might hold up the enemy nicely. If you set up the combat so only one can take wounds, then they could hold up the CC troops for a turn, and if they die on their turn you have another round of fire at them. If they don't you can run off and regroup for another FoF on the unit or a long range barrage. IF they win the combat and the opponent flees, well thats a first...
Old 03 Jun 2005, 00:06   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Re: An odd thought...

Chances are they are going to die from the counter assault. Maybe if you had a whole swarm of them.
Old 03 Jun 2005, 02:54   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to Ui Veta

well, couldn't you just deploy them from the DF and have them stand around the squads (the ones in FoF), so that the enemy must assault them that turn, and thus your FW could have another turn of firing...

what a lovely idea!
The Emperor is our guiding light, a beacon of hope for humanity in a galaxy of darkness. As we serve him, he is our greatest servant. As we pray to him, his thoughts are only for us. And in the dark when the shadows threaten, the Emperor is with us, in spirit and in fact.

Adore the Immortal Emperor; Admire the Immortal Emperor; Exalt the Immortal Emperor; Revere the Immortal Emperor; Venerate the Immortal Emperor; Honour the Immortal Emperor; Glorify the Immortal Emperor; Praise the Immortal Emperor; Hail the Immortal Emperor; Worship the Immortal Emperor
For without Him we are Nothing.
Old 03 Jun 2005, 02:57   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

I like the idea, but I don't beleive you can keep one out of combat if there are only two of them, can you?

As for what Ui Veta said, I usually deploy mine like this.

/F /x\F\
/O/xx\O\
/ F/xxx\F \
oo oo

x= FW
o=Drones

This way if the remnants of my opponant CAN assault, they might be stopped by the drones, allowing me to hop in my fish and scoot out of there.
Old 03 Jun 2005, 04:14   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I'm pretty sure you have to deploy the drones within 2 inches of their point on the devilfish, as per the transport rules. I don't see how you're getting the 4 drones back there.
Join the arena, and succumb to the eternal lust!
http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=9054.0
Old 03 Jun 2005, 07:27   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to joeboy77

Drones deployed from the fish count as adrone squadron and must follow coherency as well.

But disembarked drones are allowed to jump back in assult phase.

Diagonally speaking, they can be there.

So get off yer butt and go for your dreams !!

Please Visit http://www.forevermorejewellery.com

Do you know that WoW spelled backwards is WoW ??

Read it upside down, it spells MoM...

Freakky
Old 03 Jun 2005, 10:28   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddy
I like the idea, but I don't believe you can keep one out of combat if there are only two of them, can you?

As for what Ui Veta said, I usually deploy mine like this.

/F /x\F\
/O/xx\O\
/ F/xxx\F \
oo oo

x= FW
o=Drones

This way if the remnants of my opponant CAN assault, they might be stopped by the drones, allowing me to hop in my fish and scoot out of there.
Muddy - you might be better off having the drones form a line from where they sit. You don't want an assault happening that close to your warriors. Since the only troops capable of assaulting you from that formation would have to be cavalry or jump troops, I dont see any value in putting them back there. You can deny a few inches by putting them farther out, with less risk of consolidating into your warriors and tieing them up for a few turns.

Likewise, let's assume he doesnt assault both units of drones. He only has to attack one unit of them, increasing his chances of winning combat. I don't forsee a lot of troops losing to 2 gundrones, despite their decent initiative. So there you have whatever remnants rolling a massacre move into your warriors. Doesn't sound good to me.

Join the arena, and succumb to the eternal lust!
http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=9054.0
Old 03 Jun 2005, 11:19   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

w w w w
o o
o x o
o xxx o

w = drones, 0 = DF, x =FW, enemy in front of drones (never drop down with the enemy behind you :P)

This way, if they attack, they must fight drones. when they beat them (which were all guessing they will), they'll run forward and be brought into a CC that occurs next turn, and isn't with the fire warriors, but with one of the devilfish.
The Emperor is our guiding light, a beacon of hope for humanity in a galaxy of darkness. As we serve him, he is our greatest servant. As we pray to him, his thoughts are only for us. And in the dark when the shadows threaten, the Emperor is with us, in spirit and in fact.

Adore the Immortal Emperor; Admire the Immortal Emperor; Exalt the Immortal Emperor; Revere the Immortal Emperor; Venerate the Immortal Emperor; Honour the Immortal Emperor; Glorify the Immortal Emperor; Praise the Immortal Emperor; Hail the Immortal Emperor; Worship the Immortal Emperor
Old 03 Jun 2005, 16:20   #9 (permalink)
Ethereal

It's just another layer of protection. The drones can't charge on the turn they disembark, but they could have disembarked a turn earlier and just kept pace with the Devilfish (they both move 12", after all). You don't want to charge them during your turn, anyway, because they will get an overrun and be able to charge around the side of the devilfish during their turn. Having the drones in front or off to one side can be a nice speed bump, since it forces your opponent to assault them if he wants to try and bring down the Devilfish in CC. If he doesn't allocate enough attacks to the drones, he will end up locked in close combat with them while the Fire Warriors mount back up and fly away. It is even conceivable (though unlikely) that the drones would win combat in this case.
Old 04 Jun 2005, 05:23   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
It's just another layer of protection. The drones can't charge on the turn they disembark, but they could have disembarked a turn earlier and just kept pace with the Devilfish (they both move 12", after all).
No, can't you just move and then deploy them? I wouldn't charge them; that'd be suicide, and the Tau don't believe in suicide.. (says me)

Quote:
You don't want to charge them during your turn, anyway
Exactly

Closed Thread