Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

TL Flamers?
Old 23 Mar 2009, 04:23   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default TL Flamers?

I saw a post about TL flamers and a fusion blaster and a HW multi track. Is this anygood?
Altec Laning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Mar 2009, 04:28   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to crazyguy832
Default Re: TL Flamers?

I'd rather give it a MP, myself.

In short, however... yes.

In long... yes, but you better make damn sure you kill whatever you're hitting with those flamers!

http://www.advancedtautactica.com/vi...p?f=23&t=10975

That should help explain things.

;D

Do It! ;D
5th edition stats (W/D/L)
Deathwing: 14/6/3
Tau: 5/0/3
Blood Angels (NEW): 10/1/3
Blood Angels (OLD): 27/5/10
Eldar: 10/0/1
Death Guard: 1/0/0
crazyguy832 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Mar 2009, 04:50   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

That was probably my post on wanting to know what to name such a thing. I named it the Blastforge but its still up in the air. OK enough self promotion, to answer your question I found it is mildly effective against smurfs (ie. what I lovingly call space marines). It is really effective if you are lucky, but I am not so much that. But be warned: like crazyguy832 said it is a gamble to use since it puts you in dangerously close range of your opponents models and there is a very good chance your XV-8 will get charged.

Thirty Seconds to Mars - Kings and Queens; Theme song of the Gue'vesa.
Fate13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Mar 2009, 09:34   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

so by "you have to get really lucky" Does that mean it doesnt work more often then not?

I have a unit if twin linked fusion/ targeter crisis suits and I make the Shasvre with twin linked flamers and a fusion going by this same train of thought. It didnt work out too well for me. Consistantly every time I got close enough to use the flamers, Its difficult to wip[e a unit in a single blow, or to get within 6 inches of a unit and not get exposed to charges from it or another unit within 12 inches.

However what this type of suit may work very well in is as Farsight bodyguard. Melee aint so bad for Farsight, and youre not using rapid fire to prevent a charge. Plus with the expanded unit size you could have A LOT more flamer templates all blooming out of the squad.
Old 23 Mar 2009, 12:47   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to crazyguy832

You don't want to be hitting a squad with a single tl flamer... you want to be throwing 3 templates down.

Adding in even mediocre fire support (gun drones, anyone?), you can usually break or destroy a squad through sheer attrition (re-rolling wounds is nice... you'll get .75 wounds for every MEQ model you target, sans armour save).

Do It! ;D
5th edition stats (W/D/L)
Deathwing: 14/6/3
Tau: 5/0/3
Blood Angels (NEW): 10/1/3
Blood Angels (OLD): 27/5/10
Eldar: 10/0/1
Death Guard: 1/0/0
crazyguy832 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Mar 2009, 15:14   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

thats .75 wounded and then 50% save vs Marines. Thats still half the squad left over to assualt not to mention anyone else near by. I dont think even 3 templates is enough for assured destruction.

However an Oshova unit would be another matter.
Old 23 Mar 2009, 15:49   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Personally, I would rather give a suit team target locks, and TL flamers as it is cheaper this way, and give the Shas'vre a HW multitracker and Airburst Launcher. Depending on the build you build, vespids can actually work well. You *NEED* markerlights for them or else its for naught. A single Vespid unit supported by 2 Pathfinder Devilfishes is worth its weight in gold. Deploy the pathfinders, and pick up a new unit of Tau to enter the Fishes. Run the flamer suits behind the Fishes; when it comes time to to actually flame, move fishes out of the way, move the flame-suits, burninate your foes, then deepstrike the Vespids into play to finish off the squad you're dealing with, in a manner that they are shielded from return fire. A good scenario would be:

The red arrows and black cones represent shooting. Black arrows are movement. The big green circles are Pathfinder Devilfishes, the squares are pathfinders, the flat elipse is a crisis suit, and the green is a Vespid squad.

As you see, the prior turn the Devilfishes moved in range of the enemy that while they *could* be assaulted, they generally wouldn't be hit. They move to the side and the suits advance foward. Vespids deepstrike, getting to reroll their scatter because of the Devilfishes. The shooting phase comes, enemy targets are markerlighted for removal of cover and saves. The crisis suits burninate their foes, and the Vespids mop up units. If there are stragglers, the suits assault to tie them up. Otherwise, they use their jets to move back and provide cover for the Vespids.
Old 23 Mar 2009, 16:46   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

givin all that support couldnt you get the same results with burst cannons or plasma rifles and not risk the assault?
Old 23 Mar 2009, 17:02   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Perhaps. Considering you can get 4 vespids for a single PRifle/MPod/MTracker Suit however, and you're looking at more dakka overall. And Crisis suits aren't "horrible" at assault. While cost-inefficient, they still have a good statline save for the shoddy initiative. If you're playing things right, you should outnumber your opponent anyway.

Feel free to experiment though. There are other ways to use a Devilfish curtain. Maybe you want to deepstrike Stealthsuits instead, or replace the Vespids with Piranhas. Tau are very flexible.
Old 23 Mar 2009, 17:59   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by Col.Angus
so by "you have to get really lucky" Does that mean it doesnt work more often then not?

I have a unit if twin linked fusion/ targeter crisis suits and I make the Shasvre with twin linked flamers and a fusion going by this same train of thought. It didnt work out too well for me. Consistantly every time I got close enough to use the flamers, Its difficult to wip[e a unit in a single blow, or to get within 6 inches of a unit and not get exposed to charges from it or another unit within 12 inches.

However what this type of suit may work very well in is as Farsight bodyguard. Melee aint so bad for Farsight, and youre not using rapid fire to prevent a charge. Plus with the expanded unit size you could have A LOT more flamer templates all blooming out of the squad.
First by "you need to get really lucky" I meant they work really well. On average I felt that they worked about 50/50 against smurfs. Against hoard armies they work really well and you need to equip all three suit the same:
HQ gets TL flamer multi-tracker and fusion blaster, Elites get Flamer, fusion blaster and multi-tracker.
Three template weapons go a long way when there end is the same as a small blast marker and is the same range as a fusion blaster. If you practice enough you can stay a safe 16-18 inches away from the enemy and avoid getting charged by using terrain.

Though your point on the Farsight seven makes sense too. I don't own enough XV8 to do that but when I do I will try it.

Thirty Seconds to Mars - Kings and Queens; Theme song of the Gue'vesa.
Fate13 is offline   Reply With Quote