Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

New Outlook for Kroot?
Old 22 Mar 2009, 07:50   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via ICQ to KevFox2169 Send a message via AIM to KevFox2169 Send a message via MSN to KevFox2169 Send a message via Yahoo to KevFox2169
Default New Outlook for Kroot?

I'm tinkering around with army builder and am becoming very infatuated with the chicken folk'. I've gotten the feeling that commanders have given these featherless troopers far less credit than they deserve just because Tau typically have shinier, seemingly better equipped choices.

However, the Kroot seem to have become invaluable for several reasons; Firstly, they're cheap, they infiltrate, and they take the best of woods or jungle cover. Moreover, the new Outflank gives them a much better option to quickly take and hold objectives, or be their own cheap assault units.

I've found the trick to be to use one of three Kroot Variants: Maxed out Gun toter's, Kroot Hound assaulters, or krootox squads.

We all know of the first: 20 kroot riflemen can infiltrate into cover and pester any unit that is walks into their range. Hard to get rid of, a large nuisance, and otherwise classic harassment troops with their bolter equivalents for ridiculously cheap.

Secondly, Taking 10 Kroot with 12 Hounds also end up being a ridiculously cheap, assault heavy unit. 30+ I5 attacks are nothing to shake a stick at for less than 80 points. Coupled with almost as many I3 attacks backing those up for similar, this unit, outflanking into anything has done wonders for me. Taking out the right models in the assault to maximize attacks lend this unit to be an excellent shock troop.

And finally, the Krootox stand and shoot variety. Yes, they lose their wonderful infiltrate, but add something wonderful to a tau army: a cheap, way to take out lightly armored vehicles. It just seems like so much overkill to take out rhinos with Railguns IMHO, but you can't ignore the smurf taxi either. This unit can stand with any firing line, cover around Broadsides, or even support a pathfinder unit.

(And if I am reading the rules correctly, you could take two krootox, 10 kroot, and use the pathfinders DF to transport the Chicken heads up to a vanguard position. Making a very useful way to bring these guys into the thick of it to make up for their lack of infiltration.)

And most importantly, each of these variants count as Scoring Troop Units, which can serve remarkably useful for objective games.

Just my Two cents, but I hope I made some case for our featherless mercenaries.
Old 22 Mar 2009, 08:23   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: New Outlook for Kroot?

I personnaly so not use kroot as although they are cheap they are easy to kill and usually do not live long enough to be used effectively especially if the enemy goes first!
:
Old 22 Mar 2009, 08:31   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Whenever I can, I use the Kroot. My favourite setup is 10 Kroot and 5 Hounds for 100 Points.

The Kroot are absolutely fantastic in outflanking and if you have 2 units, you are almost guaranteed that at least one unit will come from the side where you want it.

It is an absolutely awesome sight when this pack of Kroot and Hounds swarms a heavy support vehicle, preferably stationary, and they smash it with their 45 attacks. Several 6s are guaranteed to be rolled and bye bye vehicle.

The Kroot can also shred or at least lock some heavy support infantry squads, not mentioning taking objectives.

Watchdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Mar 2009, 10:58   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevFox2169
I'm tinkering around with army builder and am becoming very infatuated with the chicken folk'. I've gotten the feeling that commanders have given these featherless troopers far less credit than they deserve just because Tau typically have shinier, seemingly better equipped choices.

Thank You! A fellow Krootaphile! I use Kroot alot in 5th edition - well I use Kroot above anything else in my Army List to be fair - Simply put they are a fantastic, versatile unit that can excel in pretty much any situation as long as you have brought the right unit mix for the role! I Love my cannabalistic Space Chickens - (As anyone who has ever read any of my posts might have guessed already lol).

Two more things - Mixed units such as Kroot and Hounds count as different models for Wound Allocation purposes - So if you get hit by multiple flamer (no save) and bolter fire you can allocate all the no save wounds onto a paticular sub group and have the other component just taking the bolter wounds etc, Can be very useful!

Here also is a post I did on Kroot Tactics - there is very little these little chaps cant do in my opinion!

http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=75353.0

They are a better option than Fire Warriors in 5th any day of the week!
Old 22 Mar 2009, 12:50   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

I just find it funny to swarm an enemy squad with a 25+ man squad... when I'm a Tau player!
Old 23 Mar 2009, 01:57   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

I love Kroot, I love gue'vesa, I even love the Vespid (even if they are a one shot wonder). I am a Tau auxiliary support fan in all ways. When it comes to the Kroot they are my answer to those IG platoons; sure they may have a platoon of 40-50 men but my 20 Kroot and 12 Kroot hounds are better in most respects, can infiltrate/outflank and on a charge have 96 attacks that can potentially engage the entire platoon. As for not lasting long, with the exception of template weapons and when engaged, Kroot should have at least a 4+ cover save at all times, if not you aren't using them right. Also, when people see two full Kroot squads sitting behind my FW (granting the Kroot a cover save) they tend not to get into charging range or even attempt to charge the FW in the first place. My final thought on the Kroot:
Hallowed be the Kroot and Anghor-proc whom guided them to accepting the Tau'va; through their space chicken prowess the Fire Cast shall be preserved and protected against all things close combat related.

I never thought of the Tau taxi combined with Krootox... now I have a solution to getting them into position.

Thirty Seconds to Mars - Kings and Queens; Theme song of the Gue'vesa.
Fate13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Mar 2009, 04:18   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to xShaperx

Kroot really do fill out a Tau army, I wouldn't consider running a list without at least 2 squads.

I like my squads maxed out. I'm talking 20 Kroot and 12 Hounds, just infiltrating onto some terrain and giving the enemy headaches from turn 1. It's an expensive troop choice, but the job it does is invaluable when used correctly.

My Fire Warriors I can only count on to shoot and die. Kroot I can use for nearly any job, all of which they do fairly well.

But my favorite part about Kroot is, while the enemy is focusing their resources to deal with them....they're not shooting at the 9 battlesuits charging up the flank.

Shas'ui Kel'shan Mont'au Mal'caor: The Terror Spider of Kel'shan

www.myspace.com/nathanhotdog
xShaperx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Mar 2009, 09:23   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by xShaperx
I like my squads maxed out. I'm talking 20 Kroot and 12 Hounds, just infiltrating onto some terrain and giving the enemy headaches from turn 1. It's an expensive troop choice, but the job it does is invaluable when used correctly.

My Fire Warriors I can only count on to shoot and die. Kroot I can use for nearly any job, all of which they do fairly well.
32 man-eating naked chickens (and chicken dogs) charging at you foaming at the mouth and licking their beaks is nothing to sneeze at!

I tend to bring minimum 2 kindreds (10 hounds each) - sometimes 3-4 kindreds depending on point level. I love the Kroot. I love the way they look, they way they fight and their fluff. I love how they contrast the Tau's high-tech look and feel. Really wish GW expands on them for our 5th ed codex. Give us a Master Shaper HQ choice, plastic hounds and infiltrating knarloc cavalry!!!
Old 23 Mar 2009, 15:22   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I would use Kroot is there were plastic Kroot hound models. Considdering how bad my wallet gets burned for crisis suits, Id rather not have to buy a crap load of metal hounds.
Old 23 Mar 2009, 16:57   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Col.Angus
I would use Kroot is there were plastic Kroot hound models. Considdering how bad my wallet gets burned for crisis suits, Id rather not have to buy a Klkn load of metal hounds.
if you can get ahold of some round bases or dont mind square ones Chaos Warhounds from Warhammer fantasy

10 hounds for 20 or is it 22$?
VS
2 for 6$

Either way its alot cheaper
Don't you know? Marines have the And They Shall Follow No Rules special rule.
Quote:
Originally Posted by enderwiggin
Meh, shooting roman candles in the face of the SM's charging you IS pretty ballsy...
Ashtoruin is offline   Reply With Quote