Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

my stealths
Closed Thread
Old 02 Jun 2005, 17:10   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default my stealths

I love to use stealth"s, but for some reson i dont think im good with them, or im not useing them right. I play alot of SM armys so i dont know how good they are against them. I have about one sqaud of 6 in ever game OK i going to try to buy 6 more stealth's today . I was going to ask, I think I'm not to good with my stealth as in every game there like the only unit i lose or take damage i think it because i try to get them close to use there 18" BC and some how they get caught and killed also i find them when i do infilrate them there by them self's and a unit in tau army by them self's is a dead unit how do i keep them alive and still do damage with them is there another unit they should stay close by too ?

Death Guard win 13 tie 0 lost 2

dark eldar wins 5 tie 0 lost 1
Old 02 Jun 2005, 17:23   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Re: my stealths

Well, they do have a tendancy to become a high priority target. My friends all but ignored my stealth teams, until about the 10th "jump-shoot-jump" after which a certain blood-lust was triggered, and they attack the guys with annoyance fueled righteousness.

Against space marines, stealth suits aren't as useful, unfortunately. They can still inflict casualties (as probability is on their side), but they won't be very large. For one, make sure you aren't trying to harass assault squads. Those guys will jet up to you and kill you, if your distance estimations aren't perfect. And make sure you aren't too audacious with what targets you pick.

Burn an 18'' ruler into your cornea. Well, not literally, but try and get a good sense of distance. Take a look at 18 inches, try and visualize reference objects to help you measure in your head. Even though you get a 6 inch move forward, if you realize that you only need to take 2 or 3 of it to get in range, that gives you more leeway for your jetpack move.
Old 02 Jun 2005, 18:59   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

With suits of all kinds, I like to look for what I can an "Attack Point."
If the enemy is static, it is usually a nice forest near their lines which will allow me to jump my suits over the forest, be close enough to attack, and then jump back behind the forest, out of LOS and preferably, out of charge range.
If the enemy is mobile, the Attack Point will be a point from which I can attack the enemy as they advance towards my line.

Once I have chosen my attack points, the next step is how to get them there. Stealth Suits can infiltrate, and Crisis Suits can Deep Strike, so those can be used, although I'd rather just start my crisis suits on the field and plan out however many 12 inch hops are necessary to get them to their attack point. Using a Hammerhead's landing gear to block LOS can be a good way to get crisis suits into position if their attack point requires them to be out in the open for a turn. I try to never allow my opponant's to get LOS to my suits, and that saves me a lot of points on defensive systems.

Now, the longer range your suit's weapons, the more attack points you have available to you. This can make it very tempting to use long range configurations like the fireknife, but you will put out a LOT more firepower if you configure your suits to get up close and really lay into them.
Man, that's the joy of Anime! To revel in the complete and utter wastefullness of making an unstoppable nuclear-powered combat andriod in the shape of a cute little girl, who has the ability to fall in love and wears an enormous bow in her hair.

Don't tell me that you fell for the MTV lie?
The MTV lie is that people who rebel against tradition are thnking for themselves, while those who follow tradition are just sheep who do not think.
It is, of course, completely untrue. The decision to follow tradition is just as much an exercize of free will as is the decision to depart from it.
Old 02 Jun 2005, 19:03   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Thunder
With suits of all kinds, I like to look for what I can an "Attack Point."
If the enemy is static, it is usually a nice forest near their lines which will allow me to jump my suits over the forest, be close enough to attack, and then jump back behind the forest, out of LOS and preferably, out of charge range.
If the enemy is mobile, the Attack Point will be a point from which I can attack the enemy as they advance towards my line.

Once I have chosen my attack points, the next step is how to get them there. Stealth Suits can infiltrate, and Crisis Suits can Deep Strike, so those can be used, although I'd rather just start my crisis suits on the field and plan out however many 12 inch hops are necessary to get them to their attack point. Using a Hammerhead's landing gear to block LOS can be a good way to get crisis suits into position if their attack point requires them to be out in the open for a turn. I try to never allow my opponant's to get LOS to my suits, and that saves me a lot of points on defensive systems.

Now, the longer range your suit's weapons, the more attack points you have available to you. This can make it very tempting to use long range configurations like the fireknife, but you will put out a LOT more firepower if you configure your suits to get up close and really lay into them.
is this a real rule i could not find it in my rule book (Hammerhead's landing gear to block LOS can be a good way to get crisis suits into position ) how dose ilanding gear work what are the rules ?

Old 02 Jun 2005, 19:13   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

It's a real rule, but it's only published in White Dwarf with the Vehicle Design Rules, and, I think, in the annual. If you don't get these, then you are probably outta' luck. Sorry. :'(
Man, that's the joy of Anime! To revel in the complete and utter wastefullness of making an unstoppable nuclear-powered combat andriod in the shape of a cute little girl, who has the ability to fall in love and wears an enormous bow in her hair.

The MTV lie is that people who rebel against tradition are thnking for themselves, while those who follow tradition are just sheep who do not think.
It is, of course, completely untrue. The decision to follow tradition is just as much an exercize of free will as is the decision to depart from it.
Old 02 Jun 2005, 19:14   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Thunder
It's a real rule, but it's only published in White Dwarf with the Vehicle Design Rules, and, I think, in the annual. If you don't get these, then you are probably outta' luck. Sorry. :'(
wait that not far how can i not know all the rules if i have a rule book ? i can say to my enemy your cheating if u cant show me it

Old 02 Jun 2005, 19:17   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to MalVeauX

Frank:

First of all, Landing Gear only exists in the VDR and those rules do -not- exist in normal legal 40k rules. Using landing gear on all Tau vehicles, is essentially using VDR and would require opponent's consent. As for the rules, check out the TAU FAQ in the stickied Important Topics thread and search for Landing Gear, as it's explained there. The most recent copy of these rules are found in Chapter Approved 2004. You can tell your opponent that he can't use landing gear, and the landing gear goes away.

Now - One of the biggest mistakes a lot of people make when using their stealthsuits against marines is that they infiltrate them at the 18 inch range first turn. That means, you're probably shot up or close to it on the first turn and even if you had first turn, you can't get away fast enough to not lose your suits. The key is to setup about 26 or 30 inches away from your opponent on the first turn after you infiltrate. That way, nothing is going to see you without incredible luck. If they target your suits, that's wasted shots that won't kill suits and won't touch the rest of your army. Also, the opponent will eventually be moving forward, in which case you can move your stealths forward to intercept them, and that's when the 18inch dance begins. If they move forward, and then you move forward, you're now in range to start shooting them, usually around turn 2. Then you can just fire, backup, fire, backup and constantly keep the pressure on. Practice eye-balling and guessing that 18 inch mark, because you only need to be able to hit the front members of the squad when you shoot. Remember, stealths can only really kill around 2 marines per volley, so even if you can only see 3 marines, at least you're still killing on your averages hitting the same 3 marines with all 6 of your suits. Then jump back to the 24 inch range and watch how the marines only see you 50% of the time, wasting their efforts turn after turn.
Old 02 Jun 2005, 21:04   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalVeauX
First of all, Landing Gear only exists in the VDR and those rules do -not- exist in normal legal 40k rules. Using landing gear on all Tau vehicles, is essentially using VDR and would require opponent's consent. As for the rules, check out the TAU FAQ in the stickied Important Topics thread and search for Landing Gear, as it's explained there.* The most recent copy of these rules are found in Chapter Approved 2004.* You can tell your opponent that he can't use landing gear, and the landing gear goes away.
Actually, that's not true. Page 76 of the 2004 Annual:
Quote:
Note: The Hammerhead and Devilfish both have this upgrade for free. This is an amendment to the existing rules published in Codex: Tau
Even though the VDR rules themselves require consent, the landing gear do not, because they are now officially a part of Codex: Tau. It is legal to use and take in Tournaments, and do not require consent.

So, happy day to us all, eh? Free Upgrade. ;D

Old 02 Jun 2005, 21:11   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Yeah... I goofed on that one Mal. A month or so ago there were several discussions about Landing Gear and I was pretty vocal about how landing gear were not official and how they couldn't be used in tournament situations, etc.

However, it appears that although the only place the rules are found is in VDR (which is not Chapter Approved), the landing gear rules ARE considered official.
"i like to think of playing against my list as being like punching jelly. you put all your effort in but it just moves out of the way and you cause no damage. then your arm is covered in jelly. and the chicks come out and start wrestling in the jelly, and i drink a beer with stone cold steve austin, and we watch the chicks jelly wrestling, and then the slap-bass funk starts wakka chakka wakka wakka woh" -- Spooky, describing Mech Tau

"You can of course make a list that attempts to work via fragility and easy VP donation and Pathfinders fit into that just fine." -- kai
Old 02 Jun 2005, 22:16   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by T0nkaTruckDriver
Yeah... I goofed on that one Mal. A month or so ago there were several discussions about Landing Gear and I was pretty vocal about how landing gear were not official and how they couldn't be used in tournament situations, etc.

However, it appears that although the only place the rules are found is in VDR (which is not Chapter Approved), the landing gear rules ARE considered official.

so what are the rules then since it cant be found any where but an old WD i think we need to know

Closed Thread