Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

"Tau Brace" revisited in light of Tyranids
Closed Thread
Old 02 Jun 2005, 15:42   #1 (permalink)
Ethereal

Default "Tau Brace" revisited in light of Tyranids

With all the nasty new monstrous creatures we are soon to be facing, I though I would dust off an old friend for debate.* The "Tau Brace" was originally coined as a trick you could do with drones to disengage from an assault.* The idea is that in the 4th edition rules, it is pretty easy to successfully withdraw from an assault, especially one fought against unsupported characters or monstrous creatures.

This is how the brace works:

He doesn't get to choose which model he charges once he has selected a unit to charge.* He must move into contact with the closest model using the least amount of movement (pg. 37).* That means he should only be touching one model on the turn he charges.*

If you aren't bunched up, that means about three or four other models will be in the kill-zone.* None of them should survive.* Your unit has a good chance to break.* You can use an Ethereal to reroll a successful test.* If the enemy is not in contact with any of your models at the end of the assault phase (and he shouldn't be), he may not do a sweeping advance (pg. 43).* All he can do is consolidate, since none of your surviving models are in contact with him.* As this is not a sweeping advance, you get to fall back 2d6 (pg. 43).* Your opponent, on the other hand, only gets to consolidate 3" (pg. 44)* Being fast doesn't help him there.* In fact, the 3" consolidation move is completely independent of movement type, so jetpacks and cavalry get no bonus at all.

Even if you manage to roll a 2 or 3 and he catches you (which he shouldn't because all the models within 3" will have been killed), it gets treated as a new assault rather than as an overrun (pg. 44).* He still has a chance to destroy you outright that way, but it is very slim and still prevents him from sweeping into another unit.

You can drag monstrous creatures halfway around the board with this little trick, rapid-firing at him with half your army on every one of your turns.* *All this for the price of three or four Fire Warriors per turn.* Just make sure you keep your models at their full 2" coherency.* This is all due to the fact that Tau are so bad in close combat that it sometimes works in our favor.* I think GW may have dropped the ball in the latest assault rules.* Every army in the game can pull off the brace.* The Tau are slightly better at it because of the Ethereal.

This is a little complicated, so please let me know if there are any errors I am missing.* This post is adapted from the last one I posted on the subject, so it should look familiar.

edit: Sweeping Advance rules fixed
Old 02 Jun 2005, 16:27   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: "Tau Brace" revisited in light of Tyranids

Please Re-read page 43.* You never move D6 plus your initiative.* You consolidate 3" or D6", but never D6 plus your initiative.

Please Re-read page 44 as well.* If you are not in BTB contact, you are not engaged.* If a locked monstrous creature is no longer in BTB contact, it must pile in.
Man, that's the joy of Anime! To revel in the complete and utter wastefullness of making an unstoppable nuclear-powered combat andriod in the shape of a cute little girl, who has the ability to fall in love and wears an enormous bow in her hair.

Don't tell me that you fell for the MTV lie?
The MTV lie is that people who rebel against tradition are thnking for themselves, while those who follow tradition are just sheep who do not think.
It is, of course, completely untrue. The decision to follow tradition is just as much an exercize of free will as is the decision to depart from it.
Old 05 Jul 2005, 19:25   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

the Tau Brace was *ahem* : my little 'trick' a while ago, so lemme interject.

P43-44(will be vague so as not to copywrite-whatever): after wounds are assigned, the sides determine whos the victor of that round. the loser then makes a morale check. and falls back if failed. this is all before the pile-in/consolidation stage.

so, as i understand it:
pile in is for brawls continuing to next round
consolidation is wiping the dust off your hands cause the fights over
falling back is getting the heck outta there!

PS: ive been away for a while, was the Tau Brace rejected/dismissed somehow? im curious, thats all. I still use it every time i face the Speed Freaks at my local store.
Old 05 Jul 2005, 19:40   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to DireStrike Send a message via MSN to DireStrike

Well, it's a pretty simple tactic, and effective. All it took me to figure it out was reading the Ethereal rules where it says we can reroll passed morale checks, and the wheels began to turn.

That last bit about the not-touching, can't sweeping advance is one thing I did not know, and it will make my life a LOT easier. Thank you.
Old 05 Jul 2005, 19:54   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

NP its always the little rules in the 'flavortext' introductions that get missed, and the little things that raise eyebrows from 'hardened' players

Ref: P43: Sweeping Advances & Consolidation, Para 2
Old 05 Jul 2005, 22:00   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to ShasOJeff

Would this tactic work against something like assault marines or bikers?
Old 05 Jul 2005, 23:52   #7 (permalink)
Ethereal

It works, but it requires that they be charging from almost their full range away.* It is a lot harder to pull off than against a slower, smaller unit.* If they are charging from a closer distance, too many will get into base-to-base.* At that point, you are really just hoping for a good combat resolution.* If you can remove all of your models in base-to-base as casualties, do it and use your Ethereal to try and fail the break test.* If you can't remove all the models in base-to-base, remove models from the 2" engagement zone instead and pray that your Fire Warriors get lucky.
Closed Thread