Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Crisis battle suits.
Old 20 Mar 2009, 01:01   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Send a message via MSN to Zepher_3
Default Crisis battle suits.

I have just started to collect a TAU army, i have got around 15 battle suits. whats the best weapon and support systems and wargear to put onto them.
Zepher_3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Mar 2009, 01:04   #2 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Send a message via MSN to Zepher_3
Default Re: Crisis battle suits.

atm i've got a squad of crisis battle suits with

Sheild Gen
Heavy flamer
and a missle pod

that a good idea?
Zepher_3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Mar 2009, 01:27   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I wouldn't recommend a flamer on a crisis suit unless your facing a horde army. What armies are you expecting to fight often? (ie: your friends might have sm in which case i could give a recommendation) But anyways, a good versatile configuration called the Fire Knife contains these bits of weaponry:
  • Plasma Rifle
  • Missile Pod
  • Multi Tracker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyndmyr
Things I miss: Sane Anubis.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffin Archer
"So, what you're saying is that you need someone dumber . . . You may have come to the right place." -Col. Jack O'Neil
DemiGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Mar 2009, 01:38   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to LiinSivi Send a message via Yahoo to LiinSivi

It was probably a typo but Tau aren't privileged enough to have heavy flamers.

Crisis are the Tau's most versatile units. They can be tooled to be perfect weapons to fight any particular army. Just remember that every unit in a Tau list should be purpose built for a particular reason. Always remember, "Jack of all trades... Master of none..."

"The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other poor bastard die for his" --George S. Patton
LiinSivi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Mar 2009, 02:09   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to xShaperx

Mmm battlesuits. The bread and butter of any Tau army.

Plasma Rifles, Missile Pods, Fusion Blasters, these are the main weapons seen on most Crisis suits.

We even have cool names for certain configurations (weapon combinations). For example, a Battlesuit equipped with a Plasma Rifle and Missile Pod is called a 'Fireknife', while a Battlesuit with two Missile Pods is called a Deathrain.

Depending on what you fight most often, suits like Deathrains (TL Missile Pods), Burning Eyes (TL Plasma Rifles), FireKnifes (Missile Pod + Plasma Rifle), Helios (Plasma Rifle + Fusion Blaster) are probably your best and safest bets.

Flamers are good because they're cheap in points and can act as an effective weapon system incase you find yourself too close to the enemy.

Shield Generators are not that popular, just because of their high points cost and high risk. Instead, why not invest in a Drone Controller with some Shield Drones?

Also, your two best friends are Targetting Arrays and Multi Trackers. Targetting Arrays raise the suit's BS by +1, making them deadly accurate with their high power weapons. Multi Trackers allow a suit to fire two of its weapons in a single turn (at the same target of course.).

The squad you described to me, try changing it around as such:
Give them Twin Linked Missile Pods, and a Flamer. Make one a Team Leader, and give him a Hard-Wired Drone Controller with two Gun Drones. This unit is a very effective and resilient form of a Deathrain squad. Alternatively, you could drop the Flamer and give them Targetting Arrays, to ensure that their missiles are on target.

Best of luck! Tau'va!

Shas'ui Kel'shan Mont'au Mal'caor: The Terror Spider of Kel'shan

www.myspace.com/nathanhotdog
xShaperx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Mar 2009, 02:29   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via AIM to jhontauel Send a message via MSN to jhontauel Send a message via Yahoo to jhontauel

sound advice.
I would add to not glue on any weapons. the best weapon systems change over time and the ability to swap options is needed.

Playing 40k since 2002
jhontauel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Mar 2009, 02:48   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Personnaly, of the 15 Battlesuits I have, I run a variety of setups. I have the afore mentioned " Fireknife's", then some others.
3 Burst cannon,Plasma rifle, Multitracker (good for infantry and light vehicles)
6 Burst cannon, Plasma rifle, Shield Gen (I run these as an HQ with HWmultitracker)
3 Burst cannon, Fusion blaster, Sheild Gen (tank killers)
3 Plasma rifle, Missle pod, Multitracker (these guys are just Bad Azz)
silix_tau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Mar 2009, 03:12   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I have always wanted to run 5 teams of crisis suits, each with 1 suit with a plasma rifle and missile pod, 1 suit with a missile pod and burst cannon, and 1 suit with a burst cannon and plasma rifle. It would be rather un-fluffy, but all could work independent from each other as their own miniature army. I wrote a list and tactic for it. Link here
LOL=== []\
L \ \
\_________\
| |
-------------/
leatherback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Mar 2009, 04:54   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by leatherback
I have always wanted to run 5 teams of crisis suits, each with 1 suit with a plasma rifle and missile pod, 1 suit with a missile pod and burst cannon, and 1 suit with a burst cannon and plasma rifle. It would be rather un-fluffy, but all could work independent from each other as their own miniature army. I wrote a list and tactic for it. Link here
That is pretty much what I run but its two squads with the Fireknife(missile plasma) and one with the Firestorm(missile burst) and one with the blinding spear(plasma and burst) its fun and terrorizing >
Altec Laning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Mar 2009, 06:02   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Most of my suits show up in one of two configurations. My overall favorite because of flexibility and economy of points is the deathrain (2 missile pods, 3rd hardpoint subject to change without notice). Since there are relatively few things besides crisis suits that can penetrate Space Marine or heavier armor, I'm also a big fan of the Helios (plasma rifle and fusion blaster). I usually run these in a command squad so I can use hard-wired multi-trackers on all three suits and put a targeting array in the third hardpoint. I occasionally try missile pod, burst cannon, and multi-tracker or twin fusion blasters and targeting array. That first one is decent overall and great against hordes, while the second is the very best at killing tanks out of a deep strike but almost useless for anything else!
knightperson is offline   Reply With Quote