Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Markerlight Tactics? (How can i best use them)
Old 19 Mar 2009, 09:09   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Markerlight Tactics? (How can i best use them)

This topic is for markerlight tactics to be used in 5Th edition. Please feel free to add any of your own. Remember if you found this topic useful to use the farms button (I feel left out without any)!

Tactic 1:
This is where when fielding more than one firewarrior squad you give each teamleader a markelight and a H/W target lock. Then you position the firewarriors so that the markerlight can hit nearly any where in another firewarriors squads range then when an enemy appears markerlight them and use the other squad to fire on them with the increased ballistic skill and their teamleader can use the target light to select another unit for a different squad and so on giving you BS4 firewarriors. ;D
Old 19 Mar 2009, 12:33   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Boneguard Send a message via Yahoo to Boneguard
Default Re: Markerlight Tactics? (How can i best use them)

I use a variant of your Tactic 1.

Tactic 1':
In addition to the HW targetlock and markerlight, I give him a hard-wired multitracker so he can shoot both the markerlight and pulse weapon. I do the same set-up with my parthfinder shas'ui

Tactic 2 :
XV-84, XV-8 with marker drone and stealth team shas'vre/team leader (equip as the FW shas'ui) or with marker drones. With the new relentless rule. Nothing more fun then a mobile markerlight unit. It combines the best of JSJ and Markerlight and cause bigger headache.

I Invite you to join my collective story and to add to it.

My ascension to GODHOOD
Boneguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Mar 2009, 16:07   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to Pisces_808

Quote:
Originally Posted by O_Shavera
Tactic 1:
This is where when fielding more than one firewarrior squad you give each teamleader a markelight and a H/W target lock. Then you position the firewarriors so that the markerlight can hit nearly any where in another firewarriors squads range then when an enemy appears markerlight them and use the other squad to fire on them with the increased ballistic skill and their teamleader can use the target light to select another unit for a different squad and so on giving you BS4 firewarriors. ;D
The only problem is that the first squad will not be having ML support. Also your markerlights aren't a garantied hit so you could find that the chain is easily broken.

Tactic 3:
By using 2 Skyrays in combination with 2 Broadsides. The Skyrays use their markers first to light up the Broadsides targets. After the heaviest armour is gone you use those marker to light up the softer target to have some seeker mayhem.

Tactic 4:
The use of 2 Skyrays can be highly underestimated. By moving one on each flank you ensure that you can always hit at least side or rear armour of any tank. As the opponent will likely face it's tank so that the nearest Skyray gets front armour. Now this is the fun part. You don't use the seekers from the one facing the front armour. You use them from the one across the board that has either side or rear armour. As the missile hits the armour the firer (other skyray) is facing. This also negates any coversave the tank should be getting as seekers ignore terain (could be wrong on this).

Greetz

Pisces_808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Mar 2009, 18:00   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

I did realise this problem which is why it is not always gauranteed but you would keep the chain going even if one missed it is basically to land as many shots with pulse rifles as you can on the enemy but i do seee your point! ;D
Old 19 Mar 2009, 18:13   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to Pisces_808

You could always include marker drones in your FW squad but this ups the cost. I'm fairly sure that if you have 3 ML in all FW squads you have at least one for the next unit. Also by doing this you could potentionally use the excess markers for the squad that fired.

Let's just do the math:
- First squad has an average of 1.5 ML hits, so lets be pessimistic and only say 1. This one will be used by the next squad.
- Second squad has an average of 2 ML hits, so you can boost your next squad to BS5.
- Third squad has an average of 2.5 ML hits, so now you have a chain to give every squad BS5.

This would be a chain that is hard to break as the first squad has 50% chance of already boosting the second squad to BS5. The drones could also be used to boost their own squad. Altough I didn't include this in the math, this increases the chance to hit with the first squad as well as the last ML in that squad. The drones fire their markerlight before the squad so the teamleader can benefit from this.

I'm not sure but could 1 marker drone benefit from the other? As the squad itself can benefit from it. So if you roll 4 for the first markerdrone could the next markerdrone use that marker to have BS4? This would even further increase your odds.

This isn't a cheap tactic but could be a verry potent one for static Tau.
Greetz

Pisces_808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Mar 2009, 20:40   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I'm pretty sure a marker light may not benefit from another marker light hit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyndmyr
Things I miss: Sane Anubis.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffin Archer
"So, what you're saying is that you need someone dumber . . . You may have come to the right place." -Col. Jack O'Neil
DemiGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Mar 2009, 20:45   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Send a message via MSN to Phototoxin

Quote:
Tactic 1':
In addition to the HW targetlock and markerlight, I give him a hard-wired multitracker so he can shoot both the markerlight and pulse weapon. I do the same set-up with my parthfinder shas'ui
Can you give him a target lock so he can shoot it at a seperate target? does he have to fire both weapons at the same squad then.. so you could get a markerlight from a skyray or networked markerlight drone, he and the rest of the FW can unload then he can fire his markerlight at a seperate unit

Also in terms of drones they are 30pts a piece so its almost doubling the price of the squad to take only 3 drones.
Quote:
I'm pretty sure a marker light may not benefit from another marker light hit.
good point...

but by 'sharing' markerlights it can be of best benifit. I am also guessing that the jump from 4+ to 3+ is greater than the jump from 3+ to 2+ so is it better to only expend 1 ML token for +1 Bs and use the rest for taking away cover saves or else slamming seekers into things?
Old 19 Mar 2009, 21:03   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

I have learnt a lot from this article, I never thought of a chain of markerlights. I only have 1,000 points, and my tactic involves firing my pathfinders and then focusing fire on that squad, hopefully wiping them out. Meanwhile the rest of my army is taking potshots.

Is it too much to ask for you to click on them? Just click. Is all.

Humpty Dumpty was PUSHED!

All fungi are edible, some only once.
the crazy one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Mar 2009, 21:46   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Yay, tactic 5!

Two squads of pathfinders (6) in devilfish, they get into a position to allow overlapping fields of fire (in cover) then give their devilfish to some firewarriors. The area in which my markerlight fire overlaps will be designated my kill ground.

I will then attempt to lead the bulk of my opponents force into this hole, whittling it down all the while, then when in position my vehicles (2x hammerheads, 4 squads of firewarriors in devilfish) break cover and (hopefully) annihilate my opponent in a storm of firepower in the kill ground.
[hr]

-OR-

Tactic 6 [morning glory]

My two squads of pathfinders get into a position along with my two devilfish-less firewarriors squads, markerlight my opponent, and (hopefully) guide down 7 seekermissiles, while the rest of my army sneaks forward behind cover.
This is particularly effective in city fights, where the amount of cover let's my army sneak around. I tried this against a mobile salamanders force in a tourney and devastated him. My seekers destroyed his rhino transports easily, leaving the contents (marine squads) open to being rapid fired and annihilated by my firewarriors. I won with a massacre.
"They shall be my finest Cannon Fodder, these men who give themselves to me. Like clay I will mold them and in the furnace of war they will become cracked and broken. They will be of tissue paper and whimpy muscle. In tissue paper armor I clad them and with the mightiest flashlights they will be armed. They will be touched by every sort of plauge or disease to help further make them unhappy, all sickness will blight them. They will have almost no tactics, strategies, but lots of machines so that they can atleast stand up to a foe in battle. They are my tar pit against the Terror. They are the bulk of Humanity. They are my Imperial Guard and they will know much fear!"

A fortress circumvented ceases to be an obstacle. A fortress destroyed ceases to be a threat. Do not forget the difference.
- Attributed to Leman Russ

My armies may sleep, but big guns never tire.

Surrender - or die.
Typhon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Mar 2009, 22:07   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

(posting from an ipod touch so bare with me) ??? :

Sorry Pisces but only the people shooting at the 'lit' unit benefit. :'(

Also markerlights cannot benefit from others because what's the point of expending a markerlight hit to put another Market counter on there. The idea of it is that you use one markerlight per enemy unit for the BS skill bonus. More than one can be put on a target if they are he only ones within multiple markerlights range. The first tactic is kind of a chain but it doesn't matter if it breaks as you can pick it up again but the first squad in the chain will not get this kind of support.

There are some really great ideas coming such as the Dual skyray idea making sure there is always a weaker part of an enemy tank open but this would work with Hammerheads making sure one railgun or the seekers always face the weakerside. ;D