Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Mobile Warfare (Other than FoF)
Old 18 Mar 2009, 02:47   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Mobile Warfare (Other than FoF)

Other than the FoF tactic what other tactics are there for conducting mobile warfare?

are lots of crisis suits good?
Altec Laning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Mar 2009, 04:45   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via AIM to jhontauel Send a message via MSN to jhontauel Send a message via Yahoo to jhontauel
Default Re: Mobile Warfare (Other than FoF)

Read the article on ninja tau it rocks.

Playing 40k since 2002
jhontauel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Mar 2009, 05:10   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

With purely mech lists (nothing moving slower than 12" a turn), you run into a fairly large problem. That would be a lack of railguns. As such, mobile warfare tactics often include fusion canons, either on suits or piranas. Their aren't really any other specific "tactics" for mobile warfare, but their are general guidelines to follow when conducting it.
1. Don't get into assault. Your paying a lot of points for mobility, use it.
2. Run circles around your enemy. Don't let them corner you. Spreading out your forces is actually helpful with mobile warfare, as you can move fast enough to support your units when they need it.
3. Hit as hard as you can. Try to fire with as much as possible each turn. As you are getting less shots due to all those points spent on mobility, make every shot count. This means specializing your units as much as you can.
4. Objectives take priority over all else. Don't be afraid to lose a turn of FoFing if it means keeping your fire warriors in the safety of your devilfish. While you want to make every shot count, even more important is capturing the objectives.
LOL=== []\
L \ \
\_________\
| |
-------------/
leatherback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Mar 2009, 06:26   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

is deep striking any good for mobile tau? I thought droping in drones and some suits may help
Old 18 Mar 2009, 06:54   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altec Laning
is deep striking any good for mobile tau? I thought droping in drones and some suits may help
There is nothing like a Crisis Team deep striking behind enemy vehicles, wreaking havoc with Missile Pods and Fusion Blasters. ;D

Deep striking Gun Drones have proved to me to be a great distraction unit. If they appear near some enemy infantry, they may pin it and next turn they will draw a lot of fire, that would otherwise be aimed at your own Troops, vehicles or Suits, buying you time. I also found out that the Drones can lock strong units in close combat, due to their Initiative of 4. During last tournament I had a Crisis Team assaulted by IG Rough Riders. I charged into the frey with 6 Gun Drones, striking first with 12 attacks, and the cavalry ran away from the battlefield.

I am thinking of buying some Heavy Gun Drones, since they are tournament legal here. Twin-Linked Burst Cannons. Now those shall be feared by the enemy, especially those with Armour Saves of 5+ or 6+. >

Watchdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Mar 2009, 07:08   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

And what about some love for the broadsides?? I know they cant move 12" but are they still usable in a mobile force? I have 8 so it would be a waste if I couldn't use them :'(
Old 18 Mar 2009, 07:23   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Broadsides? Apart from me being extremely unlucky during my last tournament and failing to hit most of the time even with the TL re-rolls, I like them very much.

I tried 2 Team Leaders, each with A.S.S. and 2 Shield Drones, creating units with three 2+ Armour Saves, two of which also have a 4+ Invulnerable Save.

They may not be the best mobile unit in our disposal, but they can destroy any enemy vehicle or strong model, such as IG heavy weapons bases. Broadsides can effectigvely support your mobile force by eliminating threats. However, they get caught in an assault quite easily.

Watchdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Mar 2009, 12:00   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Ravager

Did I hear someone asking about Fire and Manoeuver warfare?
I think I just did.

You'll want to check this out: AggroTau

We have done the impossible... and that makes us mighty.
Firefly is pretty much made of Awesome, Funny, and Aww. Sometimes simultaneously. We'd better stop before we quote the entire script.
–tvtropes.org
Ravager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Mar 2009, 20:35   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravager Zero
I think I just did.

Sounds good... apart from the close combat *shudder*
Old 18 Mar 2009, 21:27   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turok117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravager Zero
I think I just did.

Sounds good... apart from the close combat *shudder*
Actually the CC part of Aggro Tau is very important, and not really as risky as you may be thinking.

What Aggro Tau does is uses CC to finish off foes (and thus gain Kill Points, or clear objectives, ect...) that are down to a few models, or tie up a shooty unit in CC (IG heavy weapons teams comes to mind).

Units like Vespid, Kroot (even more so for hounds!) and battlesuits (esp HQs) range from alright to pretty good in CC, and carbine FWs are just as good as many other troops at CC (since "WS to hit" charts are scaled differently than other "to hit" charts)

Ever get an SM squad down to 2 models, and have the other player retreat them, just to have them come back later and haunt you? The Aggro Tau play style helps reduce the threat.

Also Anti-Tau vetrans are caught by surprise by such aggressive behavior. And this play style scales up very well, where in large point games you can do things like use FWs and a DF to screen Vespid, and have a school of Tetras run with Piranhas, or run Ionheads and DFs together and harvest enemy infantry like wheat.

I think the saddest part of playing Tau is knowing that you will probably never be able to try out all the great unit synergy and tactics before they change the rules again.

Scorefish = Devilfish + 6 Fire Warriors. It is a Scoring Devilfish.
1337green1 is offline   Reply With Quote