Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Is there such a thing as a Tau-players worst nightmare?
Old 17 Mar 2009, 17:27   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Is there such a thing as a Tau-players worst nightmare?

I'm just wondering if there is an army out there that no matter how you configure yours, you are the underdog? I'm just curious so I can avoid such armies or learn to spot them. I'm guessing something that moves fast with high saves and great close combat? 'Nids perhaps?

Is this the kind of team that is commonly referred to as 'cheese'?

[hr]
I made an airplane out of stone,
I always did like staying home.
Shel Silverstein
Eleven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Mar 2009, 17:31   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Is there such a thing as a Tau-players worst nightmare?

Eldrad, wraithguard (two squads), warlock......damn near impossible to kill.

damn that fortune.
pepsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Mar 2009, 17:37   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

30 necron warriors when you don't have any ap3 or better weapons.
Old 17 Mar 2009, 17:43   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to Pisces_808

Deepstiking assault terminators and no plasma to be seen.

Outflanking assaulters, that just happen to come on the right table edge.

The new orks, mainly the biker-nob kind.

None are invincible, but some are harder to tackle then others. I've faced the first situation and got out of it... just ran like hell and shot whenever I got the chance. Deamons are also a hard opponent for Tau as they tend to overwhelm you before you get a chance to retaliate. Again not impossible to kill, not if they scatter or have misshaps.

Greetz

Pisces_808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Mar 2009, 17:54   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Getting charged and assaulted by anything, even guardsman can beat Tau in close combat.
Vendak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Mar 2009, 05:26   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

New Marines, with drop pods on the first turn carrying angry heavy-flamer wielding dreadnoughts and power armor, scouts that infiltrate, outflank, carry teleport homers for terminators, and get a scout move, and units that can deep-strike then assault, and units with ammunition for every occasion (firewarrior in cover, crisis suit, etc).

Tyranid armies with carnifexes that take more damage than a tank and keep coming and regenerate wounds and have awesome ranged weapons.

Games Workshop, which gives us lousy units like the Space Pope and expects us to be grateful, then destroys every tactic we used to have with the new edition of the rules and gives marines everything they need to take advantage of the new rules.

Haven't fought anything else. I think Tau are perpetual underdogs with fluff that shows us as a dynamic and adaptable force against as stagnant static Imperium, and rules that are completely opposite.
daniel.wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Mar 2009, 05:34   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

If your playing static (though mech has trouble with this too), I would say biker nobz.
LOL=== []\
L \ \
\_________\
| |
-------------/
leatherback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Mar 2009, 05:40   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel.wilson
New Marines, with drop pods on the first turn carrying angry heavy-flamer wielding dreadnoughts and power armor, scouts that infiltrate, outflank, carry teleport homers for terminators, and get a scout move, and units that can deep-strike then assault, and units with ammunition for every occasion (firewarrior in cover, crisis suit, etc).

Tyranid armies with carnifexes that take more damage than a tank and keep coming and regenerate wounds and have awesome ranged weapons.

Games Workshop, which gives us lousy units like the Space Pope and expects us to be grateful, then destroys every tactic we used to have with the new edition of the rules and gives marines everything they need to take advantage of the new rules.

Haven't fought anything else. I think Tau are perpetual underdogs with fluff that shows us as a dynamic and adaptable force against as stagnant static Imperium, and rules that are completely opposite.
Wow, judging from these boards I thought Tau were one of the more popular choices they certainly are the best looking. But there must be some things we win hands down against. I'm sure on some other armies list we are the doom. That's the way things are balanced. And being the underdog there is only one way can go - up. Who's the space Pope? Aun'va? I really hate the bugs (vespid), I dunno who came up with that... they should be shot though. Kroot on flying somethings could have done the same job without making me feel like they ran out of ideas and threw something in there.

[hr]
I made an airplane out of stone,
I always did like staying home.
Shel Silverstein
Eleven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Mar 2009, 06:20   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

Tau are a popular choice. I heard they were either the second or third best selling army a few years ago. But I feel they aren't well developed, especially compared to Eldar and marines, with few options, stupid units(vespid, sniper drones, Aun'va, Shadowsun, ethereals...), and serious weaknesses. Tau are supposed to be shooty and fast, but I am routinely out shot by my father in laws marines and Eldar are faster with jetbikes and super fast vehicles and we lack stuff like decent indirect fire weapons.

I agree they look good. I chose them because they had flying robot suits.
daniel.wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Mar 2009, 07:39   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Jedibean

Also dont forget just about anything that has the "Feel No Pain" special rule. Plague Marines and Plague Bearers are the worst of them. Also, there are a few armies that have the ability to deepstrike several units without scattering. These are some of the worst armies to face as they completely negate our perceived advantage of maneuverability.

Also, Space Marine Assault Terminators are the worst thing ever....
Jedibean is offline   Reply With Quote