Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

anyone ever try 2-3 full squads of decked out stealthsuits... pwnage?
Old 16 Mar 2009, 20:20   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default anyone ever try 2-3 full squads of decked out stealthsuits... pwnage?

First I was thinking of trying a squad then I read about how much you can deck out the squads with drones up to 12??!!! though costly but geez. I couldn't imagine starting even 2 full squads 18 inches from the opponent, thats 60 shots right? with the drones rerolling misses. Though a couple could be marker drones I'm sure but still. either way the opponent better pray they go first hehe ( you could even start 24" away and still move/shoot and if they ever went first they'd have to roll to see them etc ). Anyhow has anyone ever tried 2+ decked out squads and how did it go?

edit: Against a armored army though I'm sure a couple of the burst cannons would be the str 8 guns instead... but still.
vultureyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Mar 2009, 21:39   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Tausand sun Send a message via Yahoo to Tausand sun
Default Re: anyone ever try 2-3 full squads of decked out stealthsuits... pwnage?

Hoard armies would be vaporized but marines ... well your looking at 4-5 dead with a markerlight hit. Which brings me to my next points, if you are going to do this, I'd replace one or two of the drones with marker drones. if you start the game first then infiltrate your units within range of the enemy, then backtrack during the assault phase after you blast them. I'm honestly surprised I like this idea. I might have to try it out next time.
"The Imperium has abandoned us brothers! And these blue-skinned "saviors" seek only to enslave us. Follow me and march to freedom so we might transform the galaxy into a peaceful place for all sentient species!" -- Commander Alexander of the 88th Aldarian Phoenix Regiment
Tausand sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Mar 2009, 21:49   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: anyone ever try 2-3 full squads of decked out stealthsuits... pwnage?

I run two of the squad below which is not quite the full meal deal but close enough:

270 - Stealth Suit XV15 x 5 - Drone Controllers x 5, Gun Drones x 6, Marker Drones x 2.

I outflank them 95% of the time and when they combine their fire power with any of my other units, they have no problems dropping 10 man MEQ units. The beauty is that even if you only kill 7-8 of them and are in assualt range they're able to finish the squad off with ease.
Against 9 man Genestealers with 4+ saves they can do it on their own wiping them from the board in one round of shooting.
The marker drones are what put this unit over the top. Pircey yes but the fact that they are networked and are relentless makes them all worth the while.
Overall I absolutely love these guys as they are potent force with a ton of mobility and protection all packed into one giant squad.
Hyena031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Mar 2009, 22:41   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

6 shas'ui with dc and 2 gun drones each will kill 3.48 MEQ per turn for 300 points. That's 86 points per unsaved wound. Numerous xv8 configurations will yield better points per unsaved wound. However, the xv8's don't infiltrate, nor do they have stealth fields.

If you buy 3 marker drones, 9 gun drones and all marker drones hit and you use the marker counters to increase BS then the team will kill 5.28 MEQ. This configuration yields the maximum kills per turn. The squad costs 360 points for 68 points per unsaved wound which is an excellent points per wound ratio. However, only one third of the time all markerlights will hit. If none of your marker lights hit you will only kill 3.11 MEQ for a ratio of 115 points per unsaved wound which is horrible.

In the case of 3 markerlights and 9 gun drones, most often 1 markerdrone will hit. With one markerlight hit and using that marker counter to increase BS of the squad you will kill 4.16 MEQ on average for a ratio of 86.4 points per unsaved wound.

If you are playing ninja or rely heavy on outflanking/infiltration then I suppose if played properly this unit could be very valuable. However, they are not my style and I tend to maximize my points spent per unsaved wound and I would consider this unit too expensive.

It would be a fun unit to try sometime. Maybe they will have a spot in my least kill point army I intend to build. In that case I would probably attach a shal'el xv8 to the unit.

mattv2099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Mar 2009, 22:58   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Doesn't somebody around here have a sig that states "you will not win with a Tau unit, you will win with a Tau army?" Make a full stealth suit squad with drones as described, but use pathfinders for the markerlights. 5 pathfinders cost the same as those 2 marker drones, but give you 5 shots rather than 2. Granted, the pathfinders are static, but they have the range to cover most of the board. 6 burst cannons at BS 5, plus twelve carbines at twin-linked 4 is enough hits to wipe out most units. Against MEQ's that is 30 shots, 25+ hits, 16+ wounds, and 5 or 6 dead marines. Also, stealth suits have a 24 inch threat range on the outflank: 6 inches more than most outflanking units.
knightperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Mar 2009, 23:05   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Now we are thinking.

6 stealthsuits with 12 gun drones working off of 3 pathfinder markerlight hits will kill 5.93 MEQ per turn. Still not quite enough to "kill most units," however.
mattv2099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Mar 2009, 23:18   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via Yahoo to Hairy Grim

However, 6 Stealthsuits with 12 Gun Drones working off 3 Pathfinder markerlight hits will kill 22.22 average Guardsmen/Gaunts/Orks per turn. Which is admittedly impressive.
Old 16 Mar 2009, 23:29   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

ya I don't think there would be even a need to run marker drones with them, because like mentioned you could run pathfinders behind or to the side of them. The opponent would have to deal with all the stealthsuits first which would take quite awhile and even if they wanted to go for the pathfinders or other squads with markerlights that would be perfectly fine with me while the stealthsquads mow them. So ya I think all gun drones is perfectly viable UNLESS playing on a huge board where pathfinders would be out of range for awhile ( which we personally don't ) then I'd run some with the stealths.
vultureyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Mar 2009, 00:45   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

only problem is that the pathfinders have to buy a devilfish and now they are not cheaper than the two marker drones. The marker drones also always ensure that their target can be seen with the marker light thus giving them freedom of independance. For myself I cannot justify the cost of a pathfinder unit despite that other units can hijack their ride. The prolbem with the hijack is that it cannot be done during deployment. Overall it comes down to different army styles and what fits your needs.
Hyena031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Mar 2009, 01:13   #10 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

I think the thread got a little off topic from talking about fielding 2-3 squads of Stealth suits to whether if Pathfinders are better than SMTs.

Anyways about the Stealths, I personally field 2 squads of 5 (In my Shadowsun Stealth List, I field 3 squads of 5) all equipped with TAs with great success. Very expensive squads but all they need is at least 1 markerlight to make them BS5. Also they're not so dependent on the markerlights if they don't get on that turn because they are BS4 anyways. These two squads are able to handle GEQs like crazy and MEQs as well (If I concentrate all my fire on them).
Kreossjmw is offline   Reply With Quote