Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Plasma rifles vs SMS on Broadsides
Old 16 Mar 2009, 19:05   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Plasma rifles vs SMS on Broadsides

It seems like most of the lists I've seen on here use PRs on XV-88s, rather than SMSs. Would someone be so kind as to explain the reasoning behind why PRs are preferable? I've never fielded my Broadsides this way, because I don't have any modeled that way, but I'm more than willing to make the switch if it makes sense.

Also, as the search feature seems to be down, it is entirely possible that I have missed another topic discussing this in my browsing of the forums. If so, my apologies! Just point me in that direction, and I'll shut my yap.
Bluecinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Mar 2009, 19:07   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Re: Plasma rifles vs SMS on Broadsides

Basically, plasma rifles are rapid fire with one less strength than a normal plasma rifle, but don't get hot.
SMS is heavy 4 with the same strength and AP as a pulse rifle.

So, the plasma rifles are better at killing MEQ and TEQ enemies.
Old 16 Mar 2009, 19:09   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Boneguard Send a message via Yahoo to Boneguard

Turok, you might want to remove some of the info...it goes against the forum rules.

But yes. Despite the fact that SMS ignore cover save, plasma rifle can be a better choise against MEQ and TEQ.

I Invite you to join my collective story and to add to it.

My ascension to GODHOOD
Boneguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Mar 2009, 19:13   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

I guess I haven't found my broadsides getting close enough to enemies to benefit from rapid fire range, but I can see how that would rip up anything that gets close enough!
Bluecinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Mar 2009, 19:20   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

I personally keep the SMS.

At ranges closer than 24" a unit is probably behind cover and approaching me. I very rarely have a Broadsides in a position that he could have double tapped and stayed alive, I recall two situations at the most...
However, creeping enemies and more have all been placed under attack by my SMS under a variety of situations.

I generally use the Targeting Array on my XV88's though. The A.S.S. is too slow to mount an effective speed and TL'd BS4 means I rarely miss my targets.

Seventh Sanctum signature oddities.
Alignment: Neutral Pessimistic
Area of Magical Study: Practical Chronomancy
Favorite Spells: Divine Spell of the Cotton Candy Golem and Field of Bacon.

Proud supporter of Joe Wood!

Makes this your one good deed a day.
http://www.thehungersite.com/
enderwiggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Mar 2009, 19:31   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boneguard
Turok, you might want to remove some of the info...it goes against the forum rules.

But yes. Despite the fact that SMS ignore cover save, plasma rifle can be a better choise against MEQ and TEQ.
fix'd

Yeah, plasma rifles really mess up your opponents if you combine them with railguns and a multitracker...
Old 16 Mar 2009, 20:22   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I'm kind of with Ender on this one, I use the SMS too (allthough I normally equip mine with the A.S.S - I find the potential to move and fire very useful!).

The PlasmaSides are more expensive (and Broadsides are already a big [but very useful] points drain) and with 5th edition coversaves are probablly less useful - I wont argue that they do have the potential to hurt MEQ's and TEQ's, but they trade that off for the potential to hurt horde (with no coversaves).

Against Marines

At 24 inches 3 Broadsides can fire 12 SMS a turn, at BS3 six of them should hit, 4 should wound and 1 Marine should die.

At 24 Inches 3 Plasmasides can fire 3 TL Plasma Rifles - 2.25 should hit, they should both wound and 2 will die. (Unless they are in cover, then 1 will Die)

At 24 Inches as a comparison you can fire your 3 Railguns and get the same result as the plasma.

Against a Squad of Boyz or Gaunts or suchlike.

At 24 inches 3 Broadsides can fire 12 SMS a turn, at BS3 six of them should hit, 5 Should Wound, 5 should die. (no Cover Save)

At 24 Inches 3 Plasmasides can fire 3 TL Plasma Rifles - 2.25 should hit, they should both wound and 2 will die. (Unless they are in cover, then 1 will Die)

At 24 Inches as a comparison you can fire your 3 Railguns and get the same result as the plasma.

If your PlasmaSides get into 12" Range (which shouldent be counted on) - Against Marines they will fire 6 shots and hit 4.5, Cause 4 Wounds and kill 4 Marines (Unless Cover Saves - in which case 2).

Against Orks and Gaunts they will fire 6 shots and hit 4.5, Cause 4 Wounds and kill 4 Marines (Unless Cover Saves - in which case 2), Cause 4 Wounds and kill 4....unless Cover Saves - when they will kill 2.

So thats the story really, at 24 Inches (On Average) the Plasmaside has a slight advantage against MEQ - which it loses if its opponents have a Cover Save. And is significantly worse against Horde Forces. At 12 Inches the Plasmaside is significantly better than the SMS against MEQ, unless the opponent has Coversaves in which case it is slightly better. But is still significantly worse against Horde.

General Advantages.

The Plasma Rifle is a rapid fire Weapon, so your sides can move and fire it (unlike the Rail Gun) if they end up within 12 Inches - If you have the A.S.S they can move and fire the Plasma or the Rail as if they had not moved. But unless you are within 12 Inches there is very little difference between the Rail or the Plasma firing.

General Disadvantages.

To be a truely effective MEQ/TEQ killer you need to give the Broadsides the MT - this means they can potentially fire both rail and plasma at the same time -which can be devastating. However this means you cannot give them the A.S.S, so they cannot move and fire both. So your Choices become Stand still and fire both or move and fire the Plasma if you get within 12. - If you do movewithin 12 you probablly dont have the Fire Power to stop you opponent assualting you next turn, and if you stay still you probablly will not get the chance to rapid fire with the Plasma's - Meaning that the Plasma and the Rail get to fire, but not the devastating volley they could potentially fire if they could move!

On top of this 5th Edition Cover Saves have really weakend the build, yes you can fire a large amount of devastating AP1/2 Weaponry - but your opponent still gets a save against it....which is annoying considering the points you have just spent on it!

What it comes down to is this - the Plasmaside is a Broadside configured to be anti MEQ/TEQ rather than just Anti Tank with a anti light infanty option, it costs alot of points 85/90 points and the question you have to ask (given it has to be within 12 inches to kill MEQ's/TEQ's reliably) is is it any better than a Helios suit? The Helios has the same Kill potential within 12" (maybe slightly less because of TL options) but is also more Manurverable and thanks to relentless can keep moving and firing - You can also buy 3 of them for far less than the cost of the 3 Broadsides.

Personally I chose to keep my 'Sides simple cheaper and Manuvreable, in 90% of situations they have roughly the same killing power anyway - its only within 12" that they lose any significant ground, and since 5th edition started I am more in favour of High ROF weaponry for my infantry killing than expensive AP1/2 weapons.

Old 16 Mar 2009, 20:33   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Tausand sun Send a message via Yahoo to Tausand sun

personally going against Teq, you don't beat a triad of Plasma sides with multi-trackers, any terminators that get caught too far to assault from deepstriking just became heaps of slag.
"The Imperium has abandoned us brothers! And these blue-skinned "saviors" seek only to enslave us. Follow me and march to freedom so we might transform the galaxy into a peaceful place for all sentient species!" -- Commander Alexander of the 88th Aldarian Phoenix Regiment
Tausand sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Mar 2009, 21:32   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

I don't use plasma for these this reasons:

If you have to use plasma you're either wasting the railgun or it's too late for your Broadsides.
Impulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Mar 2009, 21:46   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impulse
I don't use plasma for these this reasons:

If you have to use plasma you're either wasting the railgun or it's too late for your Broadsides.
Agreed, sort of. There are almost no cases where you are better off firing plasma rifles instead of railguns, but if you have a multi-tracker on the suit and can fire both it's a different matter. The problem is that only one suit per team can have both a multi-tracker and stabilizers for Slow and Ponderous. I almost always run a mixed squad of three broadsides: all suits with stabilizers, 2 regular team members with SMS, and a team leader with plasma rifles, hard-wired multi-tracker, hard-wired target lock, and 2 shield drones. It's expensive, but it allows mobility and lots of flexibility. I can take shots at 2 different vehicles, or the squad-leader can kill TEQ's with both of his weapons while the other suits fire SMS at a softer target, or several other combinations.
knightperson is offline   Reply With Quote