Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Tournament Report (1500 Points) - picture heavy
Old 16 Mar 2009, 10:30   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Tournament Report (1500 Points) - picture heavy

I went to my second Tournament last weekend with my Tau. Army format was 1500 Points, no Warmachines, no Superheavies, nothing requiring opponent's permission. Fullpaint and WYSIWYG were not required, unless you had some Imperial Armour or another alternative source units, in which case the whole army had to be fullpaint and WYSIWYG. There were 37 players in total and we played 5 games using the Swiss system. Three games were played on Saturday, two games on Sunday.

The winner was determined using Victory Points. There were 1500 VP in objectives (divided) and then the points for damaged/destroyed enemy units. In Annihilation destroyed units were worth double the VP.

The deployment and missions were as follows:

Game 1 - Pitched Battle, Seize Ground (Dark Angels - loss)
Game 2 -Dawn of War, Annihilation (Eldar - victory)
Game 3 - Spearhead, Capture and Control (Chaos Space Marines - victory)
Game 4 - Pitched Battle, Seize Ground (Daemons - loss)
Game 5 - Dawn of War, Capture and Control (Imperial Guard - draw with 13 VP in my favour)

I am not certain yet, the total result had not been published for those below top ten, but I seemed to be at 17th place out of the 37 players. The Tournament was won by Orks.

This was my army. The TL Missile Pod + Flamer combo proved extremely effective. The roster may not be too strong, but I liked it and it fitted my playing style.

Models in the army: 77

HQ:

Shas'El Commander (129 Points)

Airbursting Fragmentation Projector
Missile Pod
Fusion Blaster
Hard-wired Multi-tracker
Hard-wired Drone Controller (2x Shield Drone)

ELITES:

XV8 Crisis Battlesuit Team (1x Shas'Ui Team Leader + 2x Shas'Ui) (203 Points)

Shas'Ui Team Leader:
Fusion Blaster
Plasma Rifle
Missile Pod
Hard-wired Multi-tracker

2x Shas'Ui:
Twin-Linked Missile Pod
Flamer

TROOPS:

Fire Warriors Team (6x Shas'La Fire Warrior) (60 Points)

6x Shas'La Fire Warrior:
Pulse Rifle

bonded Fire Warriors Team (1x Shas'Ui Team Leader + 10x Shas'La Fire Warrior) (125 Points)

Shas'Ui Team Leader:
Pulse Rifle
Bonding Knife

10x Shas'La Fire Warrior:
Pulse Rifle

Kroot Carnivore Squad (10x Kroot Carnivore + 5x Kroot Hound) (100 Points)

10x Kroot Carnivore:
Kroot Rifle

5x Kroot Hound:
Ferocious Fangs

Kroot Carnivore Squad (10x Kroot Carnivore + 5x Kroot Hound) (100 Points)

10x Kroot Carnivore:
Kroot Rifle

5x Kroot Hound:
Ferocious Fangs

FAST ATTACK:

Gun Drone Squadron (6x Gun Drone) (72 Points)

6x Gun Drone:
Twin-Linked Pulse Carbine

bonded Pathfinder Team ( 1x Shas'Ui Team Leader + 7x Pathfinder Shas'La + Pathfinder Devilfish Troop Carrier) (251 Points)

Shas'Ui Team Leader:
Pulse Carbine
Markerlight
Bonding Knife

7x Shas'La Pathfinder:
Pulse Carbine
Markerlight

Pathfinder Devilfish Troop Carrier:
Marker Beacon
Burst Cannon
Smart Missile System
Disruption Pod
Targetting Array
Multi-tracker
2x Seeker Missile

HEAVY SUPPORT:

Hammerhead Gunship (210 Points)

Railgun
Smart Missile System
Disruption Pod
Targetting Array
Multi-tracker
Target Lock
Sensor Spines
2x Seeker Missile

bonded XV88 Broadside Battlesuit Team (1x Shas'Ui Team Leader) (125 Points)

Shas'Ui Team Leader:
XV88 Broadside Battlesuit
Twin-Linked Railgun
Smart Missile System
Bonding Knife
Advanced Stabilisation System
Hard-wired Multi-tracker

bonded XV88 Broadside Battlesuit Team (1x Shas'Ui Team Leader) (125 Points)

Shas'Ui Team Leader:
XV88 Broadside Battlesuit
Twin-Linked Railgun
Smart Missile System
Bonding Knife
Advanced Stabilisation System
Hard-wired Multi-tracker

This was the tournament hall:

Watchdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Mar 2009, 10:30   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: Tournament Report (1500 Points) - picture heavy

GAME 1:

I had a player I knew already against me.A Dark Angels army, but now with no Drop Pod. He had a Vindicator, a Predator, a Razorback, a Landspeeder and a Rhino, plus an Assault Squad, a Captain, some Tacticals and some fleeting scouting Bikes. I held one Kroot squad (Outflank) and Gun Drones (Deep Strike) in reserves and infiltrated the other Kroot squad to an objective in a forest. He went first and sped across the whole board with his Bikes using Scout move. Since he went first he then locked some of my units in close combat in turn one. I destroyed his Vindicator, killed his Assault squad, and my outflanking Kroot managed to tear apart his Razorback (45 attacks on the charge > ). However, he managed to kill most of my Troops and he managed to break my Kroot hidden in the forest. I rallied and charged him, but I forgot that it was not a good idea to charge into cover, so I went after him and my Kroot died. I also did not make some critical to hit rolls and saves. I lost, but I enjoyed playing against him very much. He is a fair and wise opponent, plus he is a great tactician. I enjoy learning from him.

GAME 2:

My second opponent was a worse newbie than me. He had only played three games before the Tournament. His roster was quite weak and he did not make use of all of its capabilities. His Wraithlord just slowly walked towards me and stood still for a turn for no reason. I won the initiative and went second. I just deployed my 11 Fire Warriors in a firing line and placed the other 6 on a hill, both supported by the Hammerhead. Both Broadsides faced his Falcon, with the Pathfinders and their Devilfish on the left. Crisis went through the center. One Kroot squad deployed in a forest and the other outflanked. Gun Drones went for a Deep Strike. His both Striking Scorpions went along the edges, one led by an Exarch, one by some special character (Phoenix or something). This caused much harm to me, since his army was not fully painted, so I overlooked those two guys and I just did not understand what they were. I threw a volley after a volley of fire against him and slowly weakened him. His Jetbikes got a salvo of Seekers and died. Soon his Farseer had no retinue and then fell to Kroot fire. My Gun Drones harassed his units, and his Guardians soon fell back after a hit from a Railhead blast and a salvo of pulse fire, with no chance to rally. His Swooping Hawks suffered losses, fell back, regrouped and then died. My Broadsides failed to hit but for 1 turn, when they hit and wrecked his Falcon. His Scorpions slaughtered my outflanking Kroot and then both his Scorpion units reached my vehicles. I hate Power Fists (or Claws) with so many attacks. His Phoenix fellow landed almost all his attacks on my Hammerhead, which went boom, but the blast killed part of the squad attacking it. The same happened to my Devilfish, also killing some Scorpions. At thattime the Scorpions were all he had. In last turn I killed evrything but that Phoenix, who made a lot of saves and stayed there with last Wound. A decisive victory for the Greater Good!

Old 16 Mar 2009, 11:13   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

GAME 3:

Now this was my lucky game. I played against Chaos Space Marines, with a Vindicator, two Rhinos, a Chaos Lord (some kind of HQ) two squads of Chaos Space Marines, two units of Raptors, some Bikes and two separate Obliterators. I had to go second in a quarter with almost no cover, so I deployed in the only available cover, tightly packed. A terrible mistake. My Gun Drones went for a Deep Strike and both Kroot outflanked. I held one objective from the beginning, the second was guarded by his Obliterators. My Pathfinders got hit by his Vindicator in turn 1 and ran away from the battlefield, making my 4 Seekers obsolete. I loaded my 6 Fire Warriors into the Devilfish and hid behind a ruin. My three Railguns wrecked his Vindicator and blew up both Rhinos loaded with troops, causing further losses. His Bikes locked my Broadsides in combat, catching the Hammerhead too. I lost the Railgun turret and both Broadsides. And then the fun began. I deep striked my Gun Drones next to his Obliterators. One was already wounded. I shot, hit and killed it. His other Obliterator fired at the Drones, hit and managed to kill just one Drone. He then charged them and after three turn of wildly swinging his mutating Power Fist and suffering a wound from the Drones, my last Drone rolled 6 to hit, 6 to wound and he failed his 2+ Save. We both almost fell to the floor laughing like crazy. An Obliterator losing close combat against Tau, and worse, against mere Gun Drones. Anyway, I outflanked both Kroot, one went for the objective where my last Drone was now, seconded by the Fire Warriors in the Devilfish, the second went to support the badly pressed Fire Warriors in a ruin. I hid my Hammerhead behind that ruin and unleashed hell with SMS. I killed both his "tactical Marines" with all I had. He killed my suits, including the Commander, and his Bikes went full throttle for the other objective to try and contest it. The fun continued, as his Chaos Lord charged my Kroot and got eaten alive immediately by my Hounds. My Kroot consolidated and when his weakened Raptors managed to kill my Fire Warriors at the objective, I charged them with my Kroot and again, they shred them apart! Then we rolled for turn 6 and the result was 2. Victory! ;D

GAME 4:

My worst game. I had a Daemon player against me. He won the initiative and I had to go first. There were 4 objectives and he had nothing on the table in my first turn. I held the Suits with the Commander and Gun Drones back for Deep Strike and both Kroot for Outflank. The hell broke lose in his turn 1 and his Daemons started to spawn all accross the battlefield, preferably almost within charge range to my units. Even worse, most of the units deployed had some Icons, acting as Teleport Homers, so in turn 2 he just placed the rest of his units where exactly he wanted them, except for one that scattered badly and I then placed it in the furthest corner, wheer it got later eaten by outflanking Kroot. I shot with everything I could, but both Broadsides and Pathfinders ran away. I deep striked my Suits behind his Soul Grinder and wrecked it with concetrated Missile Pod and Fusion Blaster fire. My Drones were destroyed by an unlucky roll after a double bad scatter roll. I killed a lot of his units with concentrated fire, including some very tough pig like models and a unit of Nurgling bases (I love submunition and outflanking Kroot), but I stood no chance against his Lord of Change, Bloodletter or something and a hail of deepstriking Invulnerable Saving deamons. In turn 5 I was wiped out completely. I hate close combat armies.

GAME 5:

Infantry and Cavalry only Imperial Guard. No kidding, not a single vehicle. And a hell of a lot of paratroopers. It went well for me at the beginning, I started to cause losses, and since my Broadsides had no vehicles to pop, I used them against heavy weapon bases. I wiped out some Lascannons and Autocannons. I then outflanked both Kroot and ate his 3 Heavy Bolter bases, before the Kroot got eliminated by 10 Ratlings, nasty little buggers. The other Kroot ate a squad and then fell to concentrated fire. Both my Fire Warriors units held objectives, one hidden in a forest. I deep striked Gun Drones and Suits near his left objective, but I forgot about his Cavalry, hidden behind a hill. He charged my Suits and killed 3 Shield Drones with his charged lances. I charged into the skirmish with my Gun Drones and managed to beat the cavalry and they ran off the table. I then jumped with the Suits and the Drones next to his objective in the forest to contest it. I used both my flamers to kill the Troops there, including an Autocannon base and then his Ratlings killed all of my suits with way too many 6s to wound. However, he had no Troops by the objective. Elsewhere, it started raining paratroopers. I do not know how the Guard does it but I heard almost all Guard players had them landed on the very spot they chose. Only two units scattered badly and I placed them away from the main battle. One got eaten by outflanking Kroot. It was a pity my Kroot were so effective, since they killed the opponents in their initial assault and then fell to return fire from nearby units. My Devilfish was wrecked by a lucky hit from afar, failing its Disruption Pod roll. My Fire Warriors got hit badly, the larger squad was reduced to two, who then fell to a lucky Grenade Launcher blast. My Pathfinders did a great job, helping the Fire warriors with their Markerlights. 2+ to hit, 2+ to wound, save denied. Great. My smaller Fire Warriors unit suffered 3 losses, ran from the objective for less than 3" (lucky roll), then rallied and returned. my Broadsides massacred his troops with SMS, denying even cover saves. At the end of the game we both had one objective and I had 13 more VP, but it still was a draw. A great game too.

Old 16 Mar 2009, 11:14   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

What surprised me the most was, that there were (EDIT) SIX of us, Tau players, there. And not too many Space Marines. There were several Orks (which scored at the top), several Daemons, Guard players, Eldar, one Dark Eldar, one Sisters of Battle, two Chaos Space Marines, some Tyranids, but no Necrons. And I had looked forward to seeing some models live.

The other Tau:

The first guy and his wife had one Railhead, one Ionhead, two Broadsides and a Piranha. They also had two Sniper Teams:

The second one was a Mechanized. He had two Railheads, one TL Fusion Cannon Hammerhead and two Devilfish (one of them from his 4 Pathfinders). He also used some XV8 variant with Markerlight. His painting was absolutely awesome:

The third player played a Railhead, an Ionhead and two Broadsides:

The fourth player had one Railhead, I think four Broadsides (2 equal teams) and several Crisis Suits:

Notable other armies were these.

An Ultramarines army with 4 Drop Pods:

A Salamanders army, consisting of two Landspeeders and two Land Raiders loaded with Assault Terminators and some other unit:

You can find quite a few pictures of other armies HERE.

The shop organizes another Tournament in June and I look forward to it very much.

Old 16 Mar 2009, 13:34   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Good work, lots of great pictures. I'm still reading your report. but there are a couple of comments I have for your list the most important being that you need to remove the point values for your wargear. Second, I don't really agree with taking 3 weapon systems on a suit as you can only fire two but I guess its your choice. Also I thought that broadsides come wit advanced stabilization systems included but maybe I'm mistaken. I don't actually own any so I don't quite keep up on their rules.
Ironclaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Mar 2009, 13:51   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Ah, yes, thanks. I just copied and pasted the roster. I edited it and left just the total points costs there.

Broadsides do not come with the Advanced Stabilisation System. That would have been wonderful though. ;D

Old 16 Mar 2009, 16:41   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Excellent report. It's nice to see so many pictures.
Old 16 Mar 2009, 23:55   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Great write up and wonderful pictures!

Did any of the other Tau armies place highly?
mattv2099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Mar 2009, 08:46   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattv2099
Great write up and wonderful pictures!

Did any of the other Tau armies place highly?
Thanks.

I am not sure yet, the total results have not been published on the Internet yet and I know the Tau players only by their nicknames, not by real names. The top ten was announced by real names. The rest "Will be published on the Internet". Only a few lucky ones saw it in the organizers' notebook. I am curious too and I will let you know.

Old 17 Mar 2009, 15:41   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

The results of the Tournament in cathegory General (battle results only). There were 6, not 5 Tau in total, I must have overlooked one:

1 Orks
2 Orks
3 Eldar
4 Dark Eldar
5 Eldar
6 Tyranids
7 Daemons
8 ???
9 Witch Hunters
10 Blood Angels
11 Dark Angels
12 Space Marines
13 ???
14 Daemons
15 Daemons
16 Space Marines
17 Tau
18 Tau
19 Chaos Space Marines
20 Space Marines
21 Daemons
22 Tau
23 Tau
24 Tau (me)
25 Imperial Guard
26 Tau
27 Orks
28 Space Marines
29 Space Marines
30 Imperial Guard
31 Chaos Space Marines
32 Orks
33 Tyranids
34 Space Marines
35 Orks
36 Daemons
37 Eldar

I was 16th-17th in Painting and 17th in Overall.