Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Coincidence?
Old 15 Mar 2009, 02:28   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Coincidence?

Hi guys, I don't know how many of you have played stuff made by Bungie like Halo but I have to ask. Doesn't the Marathon Logo look allot like the Tau Sept Symbol?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg marathon-logo.jpg (29.0 KB, 183 views)
File Type: jpg tau.jpg (13.6 KB, 184 views)
When all has frozen, and nothing but the wind and ice itself still moves, then you shall understand. Understand what I mean by, all that is now will fall before the encroaching tide of cold, and none but those ever aware of it's presence will survive.
Ice Rapture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Mar 2009, 02:31   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: Coincidence?

better to ask if Aun-va doesnt look like the prophet of [forget exactly] in HALO 2- even to the point of riding the same hovering throne... :P
Old 15 Mar 2009, 02:38   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

I'm pretty new to 40k, I really hadn't seen that before, you are completely right. They even have almost the same hat. Wierd.
When all has frozen, and nothing but the wind and ice itself still moves, then you shall understand. Understand what I mean by, all that is now will fall before the encroaching tide of cold, and none but those ever aware of it's presence will survive.
Ice Rapture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Mar 2009, 02:46   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

lol maby we will get some halo themed aux units next update :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAFTACP
You're playing the wrong game if you're concerned with things looking look like toys...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Steel (Aun Leketh)
I have a response to that... it involves a dreadsock... :P
steck_638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Mar 2009, 03:52   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

Sadly, I think Games Workshop is used to getting its ideas ripped off. As they came up with alot of good stuff.
Old 15 Mar 2009, 04:25   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by LtCmdrTyler
Sadly, I think Games Workshop is used to getting its ideas ripped off. As they came up with alot of good stuff.
LOL! Like how 40k is just Fantasy Warhammer mixed with Starship Troopers (the novel not the movie, fanboys) and Judge Dred? And Warhammer fantasy is so totally ripped off from Tolkien it isnt even funny. Blizzard ripped them off after that.
Old 15 Mar 2009, 05:01   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Unusualsuspect Send a message via MSN to Unusualsuspect

I'm reminded of a Something Positive comic involving the origin of the "vampire" concept, which in and of itself makes me really, really sad.
Old 15 Mar 2009, 05:01   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Marathon was released by Bungie in 1994, while the Tau were released by GW in 2001. So I don't think Bungie is guilty in this particular case. If anything, it may be the reverse.

But this sort of thing all goes around in a circle. If everyone called BS on every little thing that could be interpreted as infringement, all our favorite sci-fi companies would be sued into oblivion :P
Military tactics are like unto water; for water in its natural course runs away from high places and hastens downwards... Water shapes its course according to the nature of the ground over which it flows; the soldier works out his victory in relation to the foe whom he is facing. Therefore, just as water retains no constant shape, so in warfare there are no constant conditions. He who can modify his tactics in relation to his opponent and thereby succeed in winning, may be called a heaven-born captain.
- Sun Tzu
RogueFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Mar 2009, 05:51   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I think the Marathon logo looks like a stick-man walking infront of a sniper's scope...
Old 15 Mar 2009, 06:02   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Sidstyler Send a message via MSN to Sidstyler

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueFox
If everyone called BS on every little thing that could be interpreted as infringement, all our favorite sci-fi companies would be sued into oblivion :P
But that's exactly what GW does. They're fiercely overprotective of their IP, they'll sick their lawyers on you at the drop of a hat (I'm surprised they haven't copyrighted the wargaming hobby in general), but they steal from everyone, it's ridiculous! There's very little about 40k that's genuinely original, and annoyingly enough I think that's the Spess Mehreens, and maybe the Adeptus Mechanicus, since I've never seen anything in sci-fi like a superstitious machine-worshipping cult. Other than that it's all your favorite sci-fi in miniature form...Starship Troopers, Star Wars, Star Trek, Aliens, Predator, Terminator, etc.

And obviously WHF is just like every other stereotypical Tolkien ripoff, except with rat people and guns.

Warhams is serious business.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbeard
Knowing the rules is not WAAC. Bringing tough lists is not WAAC. Acting within the scope of the rules is not WAAC.
Sidstyler is offline   Reply With Quote