Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Against Eldar
Closed Thread
Old 01 Jun 2005, 22:38   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to Ui Veta
Default Against Eldar

My friend wants to learn a little about eldar and if he wants to play them, so we're gonna play a 1,000 point game. Gimme your thoughts, now! :P

He's most likely not going to use a mech army, more ground units im guessing. We're going to play bunker assault, so i really just think i need ideas for defending, but both would be nice.

thanks guys!

kill kill kill kill kill kill kill kill kill kill...
The Emperor is our guiding light, a beacon of hope for humanity in a galaxy of darkness. As we serve him, he is our greatest servant. As we pray to him, his thoughts are only for us. And in the dark when the shadows threaten, the Emperor is with us, in spirit and in fact.

Adore the Immortal Emperor; Admire the Immortal Emperor; Exalt the Immortal Emperor; Revere the Immortal Emperor; Venerate the Immortal Emperor; Honour the Immortal Emperor; Glorify the Immortal Emperor; Praise the Immortal Emperor; Hail the Immortal Emperor; Worship the Immortal Emperor
For without Him we are Nothing.
Old 02 Jun 2005, 00:17   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to MalVeauX
Default Re: Against Eldar

Ui Veta:

If you're defending the bunker, and facing off against a lot of infantry from the Eldar, I would expect that they're going to simply play the "sit and shoot" game, concealed or perhaps they will simply fleet of foot the whole list into your door step before you can stop them (concealed too of course).

At the 1,000 point level, the Hammerheads are too expensive even though it may seem like a good idea. If you take one, I'd suggest only a single one be taken simply for the Submunition power, but a ground force of assault firing bright lances will remove it pretty quickly. Fire Warriors and Kroot will be a great friend to you. Also, Gun Drones can make a big difference against Eldar squads on foot, because of their Ld8 and the pinning tests. I wouldn't even bother with XV8 suits either, but perhaps take some Stealthsuits to infiltrate to their flanks to draw attention from you and probably dance outside of their starcannon/brightlance sight ranges. If it's a combat force you're facing, nothing says love like a lot of kroot rapid firing into their lines, backed up by bunkered in Fire Warriors and a pie plate.

It would actually be more helpful if you can tell us what army you will be fielding, or what models you have so that we can recommend more useful things to you since it may not be practical to suggest something if you don't actually even have them.

Cheers!
Old 02 Jun 2005, 01:56   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

Thanks for the advice, but I'm sorry to say that our game started today (instead of tommarrow) and before I could read your post...

I'll post more tommarrow, along with a link to my website (which contains all the battles me and my freinds have, and stuff about them). All I can say for now is the following:

Battle: Defender the Bunker (whatever its called... :P)
Tau VP: 1065 (2/3 bunkers dead)
Eldar: 535

it was good.
The Emperor is our guiding light, a beacon of hope for humanity in a galaxy of darkness. As we serve him, he is our greatest servant. As we pray to him, his thoughts are only for us. And in the dark when the shadows threaten, the Emperor is with us, in spirit and in fact.

Adore the Immortal Emperor; Admire the Immortal Emperor; Exalt the Immortal Emperor; Revere the Immortal Emperor; Venerate the Immortal Emperor; Honour the Immortal Emperor; Glorify the Immortal Emperor; Praise the Immortal Emperor; Hail the Immortal Emperor; Worship the Immortal Emperor
Old 02 Jun 2005, 16:17   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

I'd use my standard 1000 pointer.

etherial 50
3 hammerheads, 2 railguns, 1 ion cannon, 3 multi trackers, 3 target locks, 3 deco launchers 490
2 8man Fire Warrior teams w/shas'ui target lock and multi tracker 214
3 8man Fire Warrior teams 240

994 points.

you could always trade the ionhead for some kroot.

"What warriors of men can stand beside the Space Wolves! The Sons of Fenris they are, hardened in the forge of their harsh world, eager for battle and honour. They are the grey warriors, ashen like the wolf, whose greatest joy is to hear the clamour of steel amidst the din of war. None can step before them, they are the first, proud in their strength and jealous of their renown. Through the storms of the warp they come, upon the very tides of terror, but of such dangers they are uncaring. They are the Space Wolves, the Undefeated, the bane of the Emperor's foes."
Old 02 Jun 2005, 17:13   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

Holy crud, Deadnight. You weren't kidding when you said you always used 3 hammerheads. Even in a 1000 point game! =p

I admit, that would be downright scary to fight in such a small game. You'd need a frightning ammount of anti tank equipment.

How would his opponent deal with that? Brightlances like crazy?
Old 02 Jun 2005, 17:57   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yawgmoth1111
Holy crud, Deadnight. You weren't kidding when you said you always used 3 hammerheads. Even in a 1000 point game! =p

I admit, that would be downright scary to fight in such a small game. You'd need a frightning ammount of anti tank equipment.

How would his opponent deal with that? Brightlances like crazy?
i always seem to go up against 2 wraithlords, and a few guardian squads, all with bright lances, or starcannons. Backed up with a wave serpent with bright lance with a bunch of banshees, farseer with "fortune", and some striking scorpions. very typical eldar list that i face.

"What warriors of men can stand beside the Space Wolves! The Sons of Fenris they are, hardened in the forge of their harsh world, eager for battle and honour. They are the grey warriors, ashen like the wolf, whose greatest joy is to hear the clamour of steel amidst the din of war. None can step before them, they are the first, proud in their strength and jealous of their renown. Through the storms of the warp they come, upon the very tides of terror, but of such dangers they are uncaring. They are the Space Wolves, the Undefeated, the bane of the Emperor's foes."
Old 03 Jun 2005, 01:52   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

MmmMmk... I updated my website with the battle in there... here's the link!

http://www.w40k.theoffbrand.com/Games/may2005/4.htm

Closed Thread