Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

 

Warhammer 40K Forum

Farsight Enclave...just a thought...
Closed Thread
Old 01 Jun 2005, 20:19   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 710
Send a message via AIM to Rook Hawkins Send a message via MSN to Rook Hawkins
Default Farsight Enclave...just a thought...

Okay, I was reading through the Codex, because I had a comment in my "Special Weapons Team" thread HERE. I had considered the possibility of transforming my Mech Army into a Farsight Cadre (While keeping it a Mech Army). Some things I didn't know if I could deal with. Mainly, the fact that you are only allowed a 0-1 hammerhead gunship. I can deal with 1 stealth team as I only have one, and I can deal without the broadsides, pathfinders and kroot.

But somebody had asked earlier in another thread about humans getting the farsight Ork Fighter upgrade. I think they can. The only reason Kroot can't get the upgrade is because Kroot aren't allowed in the cadre (Because from what I had talked about earlier in my Mech Tau thread...there was an annexation amoung the kroot to enlist in the Tau military). Farsight could not legally uphold that annexation which is why he could not enlist the services of Kroot, as he was expunged from the Tau empire.

However...with human auxilliaries, it's a different matter all together. Humans aren't annexed into service, but volunteer. It's like joining a militia as apposed to being drafted into regular service. So technically they fall under "Tau Unit." It says nowhere in the Human Auxilliary rules that they aren't allowed to accompany Farsight, and nowhere in the "Breakaway Faction" rules does it suggest that they can't join. In fact it makes sense that some would have enlisted before Farsight broke away from the Tau Empire.

So in light of this, in what ways could specific types of units fill in the roll of limited resources? Take away one Hammerhead Tank, now we have a need to fill in gaps in heavy support. What will take it's place? What of fast attack? Etc...

I was even thinking of a few "Veteran Squad" ideas for specifically getting the "Ork Fighter" upgrade as a Troop Choice instead of an elite choice. And putting my Special Weapons Team as a Fast Attack choice to make up for the lack of pathfinders...adding in perhaps a few Rail Rifles as an option along with the others. What about my new "Sand Tiger" as a transport (Squad of 6 instead of 12) leaving room for the Burst Cannon ammunition?

I'm sure there is a forum for this somewhere, and I'm sure this has already been discussed, but I was just curious, and wanted to get my two cents out there. For people who play Farsight, do you enjoy it? Would you make a Farsight Mech Cadre? What are the benefits and the downfalls?
__________________
The fate of twelve raw recruits will determine the destiny of an Empire.


Or Visit the Website!


I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours. [Stephen F Roberts
Rook Hawkins is offline  
Old 01 Jun 2005, 21:26   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Fenton, MI
Posts: 1,151
Default Re: Farsight Enclave...just a thought...

I think this might be what you're looking for?
__________________
"i like to think of playing against my list as being like punching jelly. you put all your effort in but it just moves out of the way and you cause no damage. then your arm is covered in jelly. and the chicks come out and start wrestling in the jelly, and i drink a beer with stone cold steve austin, and we watch the chicks jelly wrestling, and then the slap-bass funk starts wakka chakka wakka wakka woh" -- Spooky, describing Mech Tau

"You can of course make a list that attempts to work via fragility and easy VP donation and Pathfinders fit into that just fine." -- kai
T0nkaTruckDriver is offline  
Old 01 Jun 2005, 21:44   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 710
Send a message via AIM to Rook Hawkins Send a message via MSN to Rook Hawkins
Default Re: Farsight Enclave...just a thought...

I like it.* Well written and concise.* I may make a few changes to the army list, and some of the points spent are spent elsewhere, but I like it.* I may even look into using some of the new forgeworld crisis suits instead of using the standard ones.*

That was a big help, and I've decided I'm going to go with Farsight for my Mech Tau.* I'll save my other heads for times when I decide to go standard force organization.

Thanks for your help. If I may ask, what do you think of my Special Weapons team idea? You seem to know enough about playing Farsight rules, would this type of unit benefit the enclave?
__________________
The fate of twelve raw recruits will determine the destiny of an Empire.


Or Visit the Website!


I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours. [Stephen F Roberts
Rook Hawkins is offline  
Old 01 Jun 2005, 22:16   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 27
Default Re: Farsight Enclave...just a thought...

Where can I find the rules for farsight enclave? I did check the faq but maybe I'm blind.
Lance is offline  
Old 01 Jun 2005, 22:19   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 710
Send a message via AIM to Rook Hawkins Send a message via MSN to Rook Hawkins
Default Re: Farsight Enclave...just a thought...

Farsight Rules are in the Tau: Codex. Page 50.
__________________
The fate of twelve raw recruits will determine the destiny of an Empire.


Or Visit the Website!


I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours. [Stephen F Roberts
Rook Hawkins is offline  
Old 01 Jun 2005, 23:55   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: N/A
Posts: 3,379
Default Re: Farsight Enclave...just a thought...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rook Hawkins
If I may ask, what do you think of my Special Weapons team idea?* You seem to know enough about playing Farsight rules, would this type of unit benefit the enclave?
I think i may be of help here as i am also a Farsight fanatic, one of the few Farsight players here on TO, well actually the first. ;D

So onto your Special Weapons team, well your idea would be of great benefit due to the array of restrictions applied to using the Farsight model. This is my main problem with this, as the Farsight model has restrictions for a reason, that being balance. Such ideas as your own would only, as you said yourself, fill in for the restricted units making the Farsight Enclave far less challenging, which for me defeats the entire object of using O'Shovah. Sorry for being so critical by the way...
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJay
"Nice guys finish last"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tau-killer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Winston Churchill on 23rd August 1940
Never in the field of human satire were so many made to feel so humble by so much acid wit
GOT IT! Thats the one. Just sums RJay up perfectly!
RJay is offline  
Old 02 Jun 2005, 00:52   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 90
Default Re: Farsight Enclave...just a thought...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rook Hawkins
The only reason Kroot can't get the upgrade is because Kroot aren't allowed in the cadre (Because from what I had talked about earlier in my Mech Tau thread...there was an annexation amoung the kroot to enlist in the Tau military). Farsight could not legally uphold that annexation which is why he could not enlist the services of Kroot, as he was expunged from the Tau empire.
It is well known that the Kroot still work outside of this annexation, so why can't he hire Kroot Mercenaries? I never quite understood that..
Muddy is offline  
Old 02 Jun 2005, 01:46   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 710
Send a message via AIM to Rook Hawkins Send a message via MSN to Rook Hawkins
Default Re: Farsight Enclave...just a thought...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJay
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rook Hawkins
If I may ask, what do you think of my Special Weapons team idea?* You seem to know enough about playing Farsight rules, would this type of unit benefit the enclave?
I think i may be of help here as i am also a Farsight fanatic, one of the few Farsight players here on TO, well actually the first.* ;D

So onto your Special Weapons team, well your idea would be of great benefit due to the array of restrictions applied to using the Farsight model.
Yes.

Quote:
This is my main problem with this, as the Farsight model has restrictions for a reason, that being balance.
I don't see balance in a universe where Space Marines are so powerful it's impossible. I see tactical advantage in a unit that can deprive the enemy of a specific angle of tactica. And with the Farsight model, I think the restrictions were put in place more for fluff reasons. They have no kroot options...I can see the balance there due to the fact that the tau themselves are a bit better at CQC...however...limiting the force organization charts has more to do with fluff then practicallity and balance...IMHO.

Quote:
Such ideas as your own would only, as you said yourself, fill in for the restricted units making the Farsight Enclave far less challenging, which for me defeats the entire object of using O'Shovah. Sorry for being so critical by the way...
Nothing wrong with being critical. I prefer critical and analytical then butt-kissing and sugar-coating. But I don't see your point. My reasoning is thus:

We lack heavy support, fast attack and kroot...where we don't replace these we would instead be using additional units to help balance out the enclave...not unbalance it. It's already a tad unbalanced. (o-1 hammerhead? Might as well paint targets on our FW)...especially if the hammerhead is taken out from the start.

In the MTT FAQ provided by Tonka, it has Crisis suits filling in for heavy support. This alone is part of my idea. Other units filling in for the lack of specific equipment. And in real life, this is a very common practice. Look at the Civil War...how the Confederate army compensated for lack of manpower. Look at Veitnam, where the VC did the opposite. The Marine Corps Snipers develop their own sniper rifles using parts of other guns to make a more effective and efficient killing machine.

I feel that with these ideas, with restrictions granted...would not hinder nor superiorly help Farsight, as much as it would balance his forces out. Where he lacks in heavy support, he'll have the ability to still get the job done..it will just be that much more difficult. Because now he has two 4-man teams with normal tau armor that have to get the job done...or use them as a distraction to get the enemy units in perfect areas for a deep strike attack...Or even hold off a line of (insert enemy unit here) from taking an objective while he flanks around them. You can't always do that with firewarriors or what you have.

Of course, the option of using these conversions is totally up to the players, and whether they agree with your reasoning or my reasoning is left up to them. And that's how it should be. But I may perhaps use them and play test them a bit. As a matter of fact, if people would like to play test my special weapons team, I'd appreciate it with some feed back. It would make this discussion that much more interesting.

__________________
The fate of twelve raw recruits will determine the destiny of an Empire.


Or Visit the Website!


I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours. [Stephen F Roberts
Rook Hawkins is offline  
Old 02 Jun 2005, 04:01   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 140
Default Re: Farsight Enclave...just a thought...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rook Hawkins

It says nowhere in the Human Auxilliary rules that they aren't allowed to accompany Farsight, and nowhere in the "Breakaway Faction" rules does it suggest that they can't join.
In the fluff along with the rules for gue'vesa it actually mentions Farsight was one of the first to recruit humans, not that anyone is arguing, just FYI.
__________________
Never be afraid to share your dreams with the world, because there's nothing the world loves more than the taste of really sweet dreams.

Even a broken clock is right twice a day.

It is true that a ship is safest in harbor, but that is not why ships are built.
Lemmings is offline  
Old 02 Jun 2005, 17:21   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Fifth circle of hell
Posts: 3,150
Default Re: Farsight Enclave...just a thought...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddy

It is well known that the Kroot still work outside of this annexation, so why can't he hire Kroot Mercenaries?* I never quite understood that..

check the kroot merc rules:

Space Marines, Necrons, Sisters of Battle, tau and tyranids can't hire kroot mercs. So, no mercs for farsight!
__________________
greatest band in the universe: www.machinaesupremacy.com

"What warriors of men can stand beside the Space Wolves! The Sons of Fenris they are, hardened in the forge of their harsh world, eager for battle and honour. They are the grey warriors, ashen like the wolf, whose greatest joy is to hear the clamour of steel amidst the din of war. None can step before them, they are the first, proud in their strength and jealous of their renown. Through the storms of the warp they come, upon the very tides of terror, but of such dangers they are uncaring. They are the Space Wolves, the Undefeated, the bane of the Emperor's foes."
Deadnight is offline  
Closed Thread

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Need help with a Farsight Enclave privateryann Tau 4 23 Jun 2007 20:58
The Farsight Enclave Korill Tau Army Lists 1 23 Jan 2007 23:39
Farsight Enclave for CoD Fallenturtle Tau Army Lists 2 28 Jun 2006 21:46
Farsight Enclave Judicator Tau 3 29 Aug 2004 10:38
Farsight Enclave ShadowMk3 General 40K 5 18 Aug 2004 19:38