Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

devilfish?
Closed Thread
Old 01 Jun 2005, 16:49   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default devilfish?

this may seem like a stupid question but does the devilfish count as a fast vehicle? it doesnt say so in the codex but everyone seems to think it is.
Old 01 Jun 2005, 16:50   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to freaky_beef
Default Re: devilfish?

No it is not. It can be taken with a squad of Fire Warriors or pathfinders, but does not take up a troop selection, nor does it take up the fast attack selection!

Its just there if you want it, but must me taken with something. You cant take a devil fish all by itself!
Old 01 Jun 2005, 17:07   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbobjeff
does the devilfish count as a fast vehicle?
No. However, if you buy it the Multitracker, it can shoot like a fast vehicle. However, even with the Multitracker, it can't "turbo-boost" like fast vehicles can. The only legitimate "fast vehicle" in the Tau list is the Forgeworld Tetra.
"i like to think of playing against my list as being like punching jelly. you put all your effort in but it just moves out of the way and you cause no damage. then your arm is covered in jelly. and the chicks come out and start wrestling in the jelly, and i drink a beer with stone cold steve austin, and we watch the chicks jelly wrestling, and then the slap-bass funk starts wakka chakka wakka wakka woh" -- Spooky, describing Mech Tau

"You can of course make a list that attempts to work via fragility and easy VP donation and Pathfinders fit into that just fine." -- kai
Old 01 Jun 2005, 18:00   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to Warning Label

yeah a lot of new tau players will die before admitting that the DF is not a fast vehicle. they try to cheat sometimes but it can only fire like one if you take the multi tracker. though its sorta a waste on a DF, id save it for a HH.
Old 01 Jun 2005, 18:20   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I always put the Multi-tracker on my Devilfish. It costs 10 points, but allows you so much movement. Recently in a game I just played, my Devilfish killed 300 points worth of Space Marines. (my MVP of that game!) =^.^= Since I had two Hammerheads on the board the Devilfish was a low priority target. The damn thing would just not going down and it kept kicking some Space Marine ***
Old 01 Jun 2005, 18:51   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCKitsune
I always put the Multi-tracker on my Devilfish.* It costs 10 points, but allows you so much movement.* Recently in a game I just played, my Devilfish killed 300 points worth of Space Marines. (my MVP of that game!)* *=^.^=* Since I had two Hammerheads on the board the Devilfish was a low priority target.* The damn thing would just not going down and it kept kicking some Space Marine ***
I agree. For just 10 points you get to fire throughout the 'Fish's entire movement range as of it were a fast vehicle. That's gold. However, when I find myself short on points I tend to use those points for an additional Seeker Missile on Pathfinder 'fish because I see them as an escape mechanism to quickly pull pathfinders away from combat, while FW 'fish are meant to rush troops into combat (a la FoF).

The only time I'd see a need for MT on a Pathfinder Fish is if the squad was destroyed and I was using it as a 'Tank Shock' battering ram. As fun as that is, I'd rather my PF unit survive until the end of the game.

Old 01 Jun 2005, 19:04   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to freaky_beef

hahaha, whoops! I think I answered the wrong question.

Yes, it moves 12", not 24"
Old 01 Jun 2005, 20:15   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to 42

Most skimmers in 40k are indeed fast vehicles, so this can be decieving, however I think the question has been answered throroughly enough! Thanks,