Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

tetras, XV-81's XV-84's XV-89's and more oh my
Old 11 Mar 2009, 21:35   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default tetras, XV-81's XV-84's XV-89's and more oh my

Hey everyone,

Since this is primarily TAU equipment I figured I would post it here. I got to read through a copy of the imperial armour 3 taros campaign. I had a great time reading it and all the data. I especially enjoyed reading about Shaso R'myr. The book and probably R'myr will definetly a must buy in the near future. I did have a few questions that I figured I would toss out here.

Tetras:

This vehicle looks sweet and I can think of some uses for it. However is it really worth it for the points cost? Does anyone use a group of them? It seems to be a bit expensive to only have one markerlight and twin linked pulse rifles. I could see it being more worthwhile if it had 2 markerlights or if the points cost were dropped by 20 or so. Can you have the pathfinders dismount move forward, then use their ML's next turn, then the next turn mount up and speed away? I know the ML's are heavy weapons so no moving, including dismounting, and firing the ML in the same turn. It would seem this is how the Tetras were used in the book. Scout ahead, dismount and hide the tetra fire the ML and then run to the tetra and get away.

XV81

Are smart missles really that much better for the cost than a missle pod? I can see times it would be nice to have the flexibility to not need LOS to shoot, but it is a shorter range and weaker missle? What are the thoughts on this?

XV84

Would the markerlight count as a weapon system being fired? Could you run this suit with a normal 2 or 3 weapon loadout and still shoot two weapons and the markerlight? I know the team with the XV84 couldn't make use of or benefit from the markerlight since its not networked. At the most it seems that the XV84 could fire the ML, get a hit, then call a seeker in.

XV89

Ahh the ultimate juggernaut suit. I saw that the iridium armour is actually more expnsive in the book than the codex. Would you then use the lower value in the codex?

R'myr

I saw that the fletchete launcher in the book was slightly different than in the experimental rules that FW has. Naturally I prefer the books since its not a one time use. Which do you use?

barracuda
Does anyone use flyers such as the barracuda very often? It seems that a railhead would be more useful many times besides the potential for loosing it before it gets a shot off. It does seem to have a lot of potential if it doesn't get shot down in the first run. Any thoughts on this?

Tigershark

Naturally the points cost of such a beast would limit the amount of times its used in games. However the sheer firepower of such a machine, especially the twin linked heavy railguns seems amazing. It seems that it would mostly be used in specialized games or 2500 point + games. Does anyoen use this at all?

Orca

I can see using this for scenario's etc. At first I was thinking it would be cool to use but beyond a campaign or scenario then the usefulness seems limited.

I appreciate the input on all these. I know some of the stuff isn't useful for a startup army or player, but I can dream right? Just reading the book got me thinking more and excited some.

Thanks
S.M.
Shadowmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Mar 2009, 22:47   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: tetras, XV-81's XV-84's XV-89's and more oh my

I'm not to sure about the answers to your question but I do know that I will be buying 4 of the XV88-2, 1 of the Xv84 and 1 of the Xv89 from FW. They are the same price as their equivilants from GW itself as long as I can get the free shipping. I will not be using the special rules though just using them to represent models in my list. The Xv84's markerlight is going to be my positional relay. Is it worth getting the IA???
Hyena031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Mar 2009, 06:14   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

I believe the IA is two editions old now. It came out in 3rd ed. and you need your opponents permission to use anything from it. While it is a nice book to own, I think of it as a collectors item. FYI I don't believe that it is tournament legal anywhere... but don't quote me on that.

Thirty Seconds to Mars - Kings and Queens; Theme song of the Gue'vesa.
Fate13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Mar 2009, 11:04   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Well I did hear that the imperial armour apocalypse book supercedes IA3 taros. Mainly with updated rules on flyers etc.

Getting permission to use something shouldn't be a problem as I expect to only play fun relaxed games with my wife and friends. If a guy has an issue then I simply won't play with them. Afterall is is suppsoed to be fun isn't it?

I do wish there was an easy way to tell what edition books etc are or when they were written so you can tell if its outdated or not.

A friend said that he enjoyed using two to four tetras alongside an 8 or 9 man pirahnna squadron. He said it was devastatingly effective being able to move around so fast and use them as a team.

S.M.
Shadowmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Mar 2009, 11:35   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowmech
Tetras:

This vehicle looks sweet and I can think of some uses for it. However is it really worth it for the points cost? Does anyone use a group of them? It seems to be a bit expensive to only have one markerlight and twin linked pulse rifles. I could see it being more worthwhile if it had 2 markerlights or if the points cost were dropped by 20 or so. Can you have the pathfinders dismount move forward, then use their ML's next turn, then the next turn mount up and speed away? I know the ML's are heavy weapons so no moving, including dismounting, and firing the ML in the same turn. It would seem this is how the Tetras were used in the book. Scout ahead, dismount and hide the tetra fire the ML and then run to the tetra and get away.
Tetras are useful to get an extremely mobile markerlight. Can't remember their cost effectiveness as its been a while since I saw the book, but I've heard people using them effectively.

Quote:
XV81

Are smart missles really that much better for the cost than a missle pod? I can see times it would be nice to have the flexibility to not need LOS to shoot, but it is a shorter range and weaker missle? What are the thoughts on this?
I don't see the point of it over a missile pod, but the model makes a nice deathrain.

Quote:
XV84

Would the markerlight count as a weapon system being fired? Could you run this suit with a normal 2 or 3 weapon loadout and still shoot two weapons and the markerlight? I know the team with the XV84 couldn't make use of or benefit from the markerlight since its not networked. At the most it seems that the XV84 could fire the ML, get a hit, then call a seeker in.
The markerlight will count as a weapon system. This suit actually saw a boost in 5th ed, now that you can make the assault move after shooting heavy weapons.

Quote:
XV89

Ahh the ultimate juggernaut suit. I saw that the iridium armour is actually more expnsive in the book than the codex. Would you then use the lower value in the codex?
Now you can get two 2+ save suits. Other than that, obsolete.

Quote:
R'myr

I saw that the fletchete launcher in the book was slightly different than in the experimental rules that FW has. Naturally I prefer the books since its not a one time use. Which do you use?
The two fletchette dischargers are different, like a battlesuit multi tracker and a vehicle multi tracker. You must use the FW rules for it.

Quote:
barracuda
Does anyone use flyers such as the barracuda very often? It seems that a railhead would be more useful many times besides the potential for loosing it before it gets a shot off. It does seem to have a lot of potential if it doesn't get shot down in the first run. Any thoughts on this?
Took a severe hit in IA: Apocalypse but a decent enough flyer. Wouldn't mind an AA mount for the main gun, seeing as its an air superiority fighter.

Quote:
Tigershark

Naturally the points cost of such a beast would limit the amount of times its used in games. However the sheer firepower of such a machine, especially the twin linked heavy railguns seems amazing. It seems that it would mostly be used in specialized games or 2500 point + games. Does anyoen use this at all?
Agreed.

Quote:
Orca

I can see using this for scenario's etc. At first I was thinking it would be cool to use but beyond a campaign or scenario then the usefulness seems limited.
Useful to get huge amounts of infantry onto an objective in apocalypse. Don't see many other uses for it.
[/quote]
Korill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Mar 2009, 14:45   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

I field a pair of tetras whenever I can fit them in a list. Mostly because I really like the models as they're performance is a bit patchy against their cost.

Defiantly give them TA's (otherwise they may as well be stealth team marker drones for the points), you might want to consider decoy launchers too, with the immobilized result meaning destroyed for vehicle squadrons.

That said they're mobility and free Disruption pod is very useful, and the scout move is a nice bonus. I've run them as marker support for a rail head, and as a lone detachment calling in seakers, both times I've ended up wondering what the point of the pulse rifles is, as nothing I want to 'light could be harmed by them.
Not got round to trying to use them as marker support for infantry yet.
Can imagine they would work well as piranha support, I'm going to have to try it now.

That said, aside from asking if they can have a closer look at the models my opponents have generally ignored them seeing them as very little threat, after all whats 2 markerlights compared to a squad of 6 pathfinders with 'fish, or the hammerhead they're next to.

As for disembarking, the pathfinders are listed as crew not passengers so i don't think this is any more possible than tank crews getting out and fighting, Someone please correct me if I'm wrong on this.

They're fun if you want to run a highly mobile cadre, but a bit expensive points wise.
Tauist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Mar 2009, 17:36   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowmech
R'myr

While the book and the experimental rules differ, note that the book has a faq and his flechette discharger was ruled as a one time use.
MalteseFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Mar 2009, 03:39   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
With all those cover saves, I would say that ignoring LOS and cover is very useful.

Quote:
XV89

The value of this suit is that the iridium armor is not special issue, meaning you can potentially take 3 x 2+ save suits (2 as R'myr's bodyguard, 1 as a commander with iridium armor).
LOL=== []\
L \ \
\_________\
| |
-------------/
leatherback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Mar 2009, 04:50   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Back in 4th, the XV81 and 84 were relatively useless. However, with the new jetpack rules, both of these are extremely dangerous.

Barracudas in my opinion are best fielded in pairs since most people are extremely afraid of flyers and tend to shoot it down ASAP.
Impulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Mar 2009, 05:03   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

In my area, edmonton alberta all the Hall of Hero tournaments allow IA units minus super heavies and experimental units as long as you own the IA book that contains the models rules.
Hyena031 is offline   Reply With Quote