Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Starting a tau army
Old 09 Mar 2009, 10:40   #1 (permalink)
Boo
Kroot Warrior

Default Starting a tau army

Hello fellow tau commanders.

I've been a long time Blood Angels player and as my army is under construction I thought that I could use another army that is very much different from my beloved marines. And I've always had tau close to my heart. I bought them when they first came out, but then sold them of when I started fantasy instead. So now I'm looking into starting them out again.

So I'm reaching out to you on this forum for guidance and help. What is the best way of starting tau? Buying the battleforce(or what ever it's called) and expanding from there? Or picking up individual boxes. From what I understand it's a really good deal getting the box.

Anyway, I'm thankful for your help

Boo
Old 09 Mar 2009, 11:21   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Tausand sun Send a message via Yahoo to Tausand sun
Default Re: Starting a tau army

Well it is a really good buy but your also going to need to some XV8 crisis battlesuits and some XV88 broadsides or some hammerheads.... cause it's just not a tau list without railguns.
"The Imperium has abandoned us brothers! And these blue-skinned "saviors" seek only to enslave us. Follow me and march to freedom so we might transform the galaxy into a peaceful place for all sentient species!" -- Commander Alexander of the 88th Aldarian Phoenix Regiment
Tausand sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Mar 2009, 11:47   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Buy the Battleforce and build on from there.

One tip I'd highly suggest is to buy the Skyray box instead of a Devilfish or Hammerhead. You get all 3 sprues in it; Devilfish chassis, Hammerhead upgrade, and Skyray upgrade. I believe its the same price as a Hammerhead and a tiny bit more expensive than a Devilfish.
Dangerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Mar 2009, 12:07   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Yeah the skyray comes in at a whopping $5 or ~ 2-2.5 GPB more than the devilfish. awesome buy.
"The Imperium has abandoned us brothers! And these blue-skinned "saviors" seek only to enslave us. Follow me and march to freedom so we might transform the galaxy into a peaceful place for all sentient species!" -- Commander Alexander of the 88th Aldarian Phoenix Regiment
Old 09 Mar 2009, 12:35   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to mace

Have you read this? =)

It's a little old though, I haven't updated it for 5th edition... But in my opinion the Battleforce is the best place to start, it's great value and gives you a range of handy units to start off with and use, with enough variation that you don't get bored putting together the same models over and over like other battleforces.
Old 09 Mar 2009, 13:39   #6 (permalink)
Boo
Kroot Warrior

Cheers for replies!

I love the railguns, after being on the receiving end of them it will be fun to be on the other side I think that my first buy will be the battleforce. And maybe a hammerhead too. Money is as always an issue hehehe

Mace: your guide was awesome, many thanks for that!

So, are there any painting logs around here where people have posted their painted tau?
Old 09 Mar 2009, 13:41   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

if money is an issue get hammerheads, if points are an issue get braodsides.