Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

markerlights: lesson learned
Old 07 Mar 2009, 23:42   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Tausand sun Send a message via Yahoo to Tausand sun
Default markerlights: lesson learned

Okay so I got though half a 1750 pt game against chaos space marines. And learned how to really kill marines good. First is don't use a boat load of troops, I know it can be tempting in 5th with the way scoring works now, but I've found an alternative, one that pounds marines into dust. This is? Well don't use your precious pathfinders for accuracy increases, use them to destroy cover saves. The next, a team of three XV8's with TL plasma rifles and targetting arrays. When givin no cover save, or reduced to a 6+, marines dissapear off the board, also marines so far in my matches haven't tended to use lots of heavy armor, so give your broadsides some plasma rifles and a multi tracker, once the main threats of vehicles dissapear they do a fairly good job at running over bikers, and get 2-3 attacks against regular marines.
As for troops, Whether in 12 man squads or 6, against marines, they just die. Horridly. Keeping them in devilfish however seems to change that. Also the game we played had 3 objectives, we didnt finsh but if we kept on I feel I could have taken one and left the other contested, for a draw at the least. with the third having only 4 marines left on it. Now without further adoo The highlights of the game.

3 objectives, Dawn of war

4 XV8s with the above mentiond layout and a Ionhead managed to kill a demon prince first turn. The following turn aided by pathfinders, the same XV8s' and Ion head managed to bring a full team of marines down to four men.

not a good one but all seven of my DF's shots, missed. All of them. Oh and a fire warrior team got trouned in a single turn.
"The Imperium has abandoned us brothers! And these blue-skinned "saviors" seek only to enslave us. Follow me and march to freedom so we might transform the galaxy into a peaceful place for all sentient species!" -- Commander Alexander of the 88th Aldarian Phoenix Regiment
Tausand sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Mar 2009, 00:55   #2 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Re: markerlights: lesson learned

Great report and tips.
I had my first game with tau against codex marines and absolutely trounced them 7-4 in an annihilate mission. After the pleasing result I came to the same conclusion.
I used the same tactic with the pathfinders only in conjunction with seeker missiles, 2 rail heads and pleanty of plasma rifle armed crisis suits all in all a fun day out for the little grey guys.
My friend was using a landraider that took 3 turns to eliminate! Maybe I'll try the broadsides next time I'm out against marines. I was worried that I wouldn't fit enough troops in with them but if they worked that well for you then I'll have to give them a try! Did he use any plague marines? Thanks for the insight!
Ksimyen Jud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Mar 2009, 01:40   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Not too familiar with plauge marines, all I know is he had Str4 and SV 3+ on most of his marines with some terminators? and this really wierd thing that had terminator armor and like seven weapons and a chainsaw for a.... *ehem* lower appendage. But yeah, Broadsides are great, as a matter of fact if you just want your heavy support to go after other heavies, I'd say don't even bother with the hammerhead, a pair of broadsides with TL PRs, shield gens, and a shield drone a piece comes in at the same price of a land raider, and quite frankly are more survivable, slower, but also much more devastating as they're basically two different units. and can fire at two different vehicles, and once the vehicles are gone, they can shred marines, terminators, Demon princes. Pretty much if it's on the board and less than 72 inches away, they can and will kill it. if it's a marine unit, at 12" well..... They'll be dead once in close combat the following turn but with two, six twin linked attacks that shred basic marines..... yeah.
"The Imperium has abandoned us brothers! And these blue-skinned "saviors" seek only to enslave us. Follow me and march to freedom so we might transform the galaxy into a peaceful place for all sentient species!" -- Commander Alexander of the 88th Aldarian Phoenix Regiment
Old 08 Mar 2009, 04:00   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Jedibean

I've been playing this way for a couple of months. It's good that more and more people are catching on. I dont let my fire warriors out of the devilfish anymore unless the devilfish are dead. I just use squads of 6 fire warriors in a devilfish flying around at objectives while my crisis suits lay out marines. Pathfinders get rid of the cover and my crisis suits take them down squad by squad. This works great against Marines, however against Orks, Eldar, Guard or Daemons you wanna replace the squads of crisis suits with stealth suits. They laydown a higher volume of fire power and with the 60 points per fire warrior team that you save taking squads of 6 instead of 12 you can take targetting arrays on all your stealth suits. I find it to be very effective. I used to like fire warriors quite a bit but they dont have the versatility and survivability to last a game.
Jedibean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Mar 2009, 05:20   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via Yahoo to GunSpider Send a message via Skype™ to GunSpider

This thread has given me great insight...knowledge is power, Kudos to bringing up this topic!
Old 08 Mar 2009, 17:46   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

I used this same concept to my advantage last night: I had two squads of Pathfinders of 6 each deployed on opposite ends of the table, essentially allowing me to markerlight just about anything. Since the opponent was very light on tanks, I wound up using my Broadsides to pick off Obliterators sitting in heavy cover. Rather than letting them take their 4+ cover save, I stripped the cover save down to their 5+ Invuln and boosted the Broadsides' BS to shred the Obliterators. (I also used another squad of Pathfinders on the far side of the board to do a neo-Fish of Fury with a gun drone screen, and by penalizing the leadership of the terminators I was fury-ing, a very lucky gun drone shot managed to pin them).

At some point, someone needs to do a breakdown of how to maximize the percent chance of scoring a wound with any given shot for a squad given how you spend markerlight hits.

For now, though, I think two squads of six Pathfinders each have earned a place in my armylist long-term. I'd rather get the slightly-better Pathfinder Devilfish that I can then pass off to my other units than the Firewarrior Devilfish (I like being able to reroll poor deep-strike rolls with my battlesuits).
Jackelope King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Mar 2009, 19:47   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

Jackelope King and Jedibean, totally correct and I can completely relate. Just last night I played against my first orc army. And I do find that I managed really well with 1 squad of fire warriors in a devil fish. The only thing that failed me was he happened to steal the initiative, and his orc copter things got to my pathfinders (who were infiltrated on too closely to the copters) first turn. Had he not, I had 3 broadsides that would have ripped them to shreads, allowing me markerlight support for the rest of the round.
The game boiled down to his Battlewagon with big cannon thingy, exchanging shots with my hammer head, and he got the last shot to land amazingly. But even crisis suits can hold there own against orc lists.
Had Commander shas'O, 2 squads of crisis (1 with plasma/missile/multi-tracker, 2nd with twin linked flamers and a failsafe, deepstruck on turn 6, boo.) one squad of stealths, 3 broadsides, 1 railhead, 1 warfish, 8 pathfinders, 12 fire warriors, and it performed well verses his numbers.
Had I had the markerlight support, I think I'd have done scores better seeing as the copters were the only threat to them in the beginning.
Ekiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Mar 2009, 22:15   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

So should we as an army fully otakinize and go all battlesuits with few troops? Might not work well but it'd be funny to see an orc player's face when you come onto the board with 21-30 battlesuits (and this isn't even a farsight army.) nine with long range railguns? Seems like a quirky idea to me but a fun one.
Old 09 Mar 2009, 02:00   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

That's actually what I'm aiming to achieve. Need 5 more broadsides, but darn are they expensive!!!
Ekiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Mar 2009, 02:24   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

No, they're moderately afforable... individually.

Wow, i just price the max suit army... it comes in hard at 2500 points. but that many battlesuits? Marines will run in terror Oh and did I mention they all come with shield gens? WHO'S a bitch TO KILL NOW TERMINATORS WHO!!!!!!!!!