Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

OMG! manta is insane!!!!
Old 07 Mar 2009, 02:01   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Tausand sun Send a message via Yahoo to Tausand sun
Default OMG! manta is insane!!!!

Okay So I finally broke down and bought imperial armor volume 3 ..... OMG the manta is way too insane. Like unfairly insane. My question is this, how does one use such a large thing in any game? Surely the other titans are less than half it's cost, so Is it really worth it if you ... say have an extra $1500 lying around?
"The Imperium has abandoned us brothers! And these blue-skinned "saviors" seek only to enslave us. Follow me and march to freedom so we might transform the galaxy into a peaceful place for all sentient species!" -- Commander Alexander of the 88th Aldarian Phoenix Regiment
Tausand sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Mar 2009, 02:10   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Jedibean
Default Re: OMG! manta is insane!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tausand sun
Okay So I finally broke down and bought imperial armor volume 3 ..... OMG the manta is way too insane. Like unfairly insane. My question is this, how does one use such a large thing in any game? Surely the other titans are less than half it's cost, so Is it really worth it if you ... say have an extra $1500 lying around?
I would never buy one unless I had A LOT of money laying around. Like, if I was a millionaire and had no kids or wife. that's the only way I could justify such an expense. and it's actually close to $2000. I also could imagine you being able to use one in a game... like, ever. But if you've got money to burn then order one.
Jedibean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Mar 2009, 02:11   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Tausand sun Send a message via Yahoo to Tausand sun

I don't I wish I did, but I don't.
"The Imperium has abandoned us brothers! And these blue-skinned "saviors" seek only to enslave us. Follow me and march to freedom so we might transform the galaxy into a peaceful place for all sentient species!" -- Commander Alexander of the 88th Aldarian Phoenix Regiment
Tausand sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Mar 2009, 04:49   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Well I haven't really figured it out but if you own enough models to fill one you've probably spent at least half its cost already. I don't think it is actually that great of a super heavy. For its points you could bring just as much fire power with likely more durability. The thing is, good God would it be awesome to have that thing land in the middle of the battle field and unload a full cadre of troops.
Ironclaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Mar 2009, 04:57   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to razgriz_cipher

I have seen one in real life. It just dwarfed all of the other models I saw that day. It was hard to look at dreadnoghts the same way again. however yeah the manta money is never going to happen. Even if you do get one it could be hard to transport. I do not think leaving to go to the bathroom would be a good idea with a 1500 dollar model on the table.
The order for the money is crazy.
Old 07 Mar 2009, 06:02   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/40kmanta2.htm

that thing is sweet, I want one now! I realy like how It shows how the units deploy out of vehicle.
Lokken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Mar 2009, 09:29   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

I have one and I used it in a few apocalipsis games and it is really awsome. To transport it I did a special case in a bo shop in my town and I havenīt any problem in transport it.

The face of your enemy when you put it on the table (I have a selfmade PVC base to put it) itīs inexpendable. ;D

really a bought it because itīs a great model to have in a cristal box in home, but itīs posible to play with it in special ocassions.
Akdakkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Mar 2009, 13:37   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Most people don't buy it for gaming purposes, it's usually a case of "I have the largest, most expensive 40K model there is!" ;D
If you have the money and that's what you want, go for it. It can still be used in especially large Apocalypse games or if your playing a campaign that includes a background story then a Manta could be a great thing to base the campaign around.
Vendak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Mar 2009, 14:03   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Merqu

It's more expensive than a Titan because it has Titan level fire power (T/L Heavy railguns and 3 T/L L/B Ion Cannons and more L/B Burst Cannons than you can shake a stick at) But it's a flyer with (as far as I'm aware) the most Structor points in the game, it can basicly transport a legal army for 40k, and it's a flyer...

I believe thats worth the points Plus also there's the Psycological war aspect someone brings a Warhound (or even possibly a Reaver) then they are gonna be minorly shocked that someones got something bigger than them ;D

Oh and it also comes with the 4 tanks, the Crisis Suits as well. Remove those from the overall cost and it probably won't seem as bad . Although you will probably have to talk to somene who owns one about how the Crisis Suits come.
Merqu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Mar 2009, 18:06   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

It's more of a collectors item then an army unit. You buy it because you want a Manta to work on and display at home, not just because you want to whip it out at the local GW. Yes it's expensive, but as a centerpiece it's just worth it for some people.