Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

n00b questions: flechette dischargers, weapon destroyed results, etc.
Old 06 Mar 2009, 21:11   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default n00b questions: flechette dischargers, weapon destroyed results, etc.

Hey guys! Apologies if these have been answered elsewhere:

First, I'll quote from the FD description on page 30 of the codex, "Any model attacking the vehicle in close combat will be wounded on a D6 roll of 4+, with Saves allowed, before resolving its attacks."

1. When rolling to wound with FDs do you count out the number of enemy models engaged with the vehicle and roll that number of dice (allowing your opponent to allocate the wounds) or do you roll for each model separately?

2. What effect, if any, occurs when a vehicle equipped with FDs is assaulted by a model without wounds (generally walkers with WS)?

3. What pieces of equipment on a vehicle are viable options for a Weapon Destroyed result? If we limit this to items that fall under the Tau Weapons Profiles table on page 48 of the codex, this allows markerlights and seeker missiles, but not flechette dischargers or presumably the TL pulse carbines carried by mounted gundrones.

4. I assume that if an opponent were to choose a TL weapon for the Weapon Destroyed result, the weapon would be entirely destroyed.

5. Finally, and somewhat tangentially, can anyone tell me if the special rule for Black Templar that forces them to move towards the nearest enemy applies to vehicles?
Raidarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Mar 2009, 21:19   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Boneguard Send a message via Yahoo to Boneguard
Default Re: n00b questions: flechette dischargers, weapon destroyed results, etc.

Hmmm this seems more like newb questions rather then n00b questions...big difference in the terminology here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raidarc
Hey guys! Apologies if these have been answered elsewhere:

First, I'll quote from the FD description on page 30 of the codex, "Any model attacking the vehicle in close combat will be wounded on a D6 roll of 4+, with Saves allowed, before resolving its attacks."

1. When rolling to wound with FDs do you count out the number of enemy models engaged with the vehicle and roll that number of dice (allowing your opponent to allocate the wounds) or do you roll for each model separately?
You roll once for each model in range.

Quote:
2. What effect, if any, occurs when a vehicle equipped with FDs is assaulted by a model without wounds (generally walkers with WS)?
IIRC, Nothing happens.

Quote:
3. What pieces of equipment on a vehicle are viable options for a Weapon Destroyed result? If we limit this to items that fall under the Tau Weapons Profiles table on page 48 of the codex, this allows markerlights and seeker missiles, but not flechette dischargers or presumably the TL pulse carbines carried by mounted gundrones.
Burst Cannon, SMS, railgun, ionblaster, Seeker missile on the skyray only (IIRC), and skyray markerlight. Not sure about the gundrones as a whole. The flechette Discharger is not affect, it's not a weapon per say it's a defensive system.

Quote:
4. I assume that if an opponent were to choose a TL weapon for the Weapon Destroyed result, the weapon would be entirely destroyed.
Yes, A Twin-link weapon is still considered to be a single weapon for that purpose...although this doesn't affect Tau, we have no TL-weapon on our vehicule.

Quote:
5. Finally, and somewhat tangentially, can anyone tell me if the special rule for Black Templar that forces them to move towards the nearest enemy applies to vehicles?
I would say yes..if the vehicule is the nearest. But don't quote me on that one.

I Invite you to join my collective story and to add to it.

My ascension to GODHOOD
Boneguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Mar 2009, 01:02   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Re: n00b questions: flechette dischargers, weapon destroyed results, etc.

Thanks for the response!

Quote:
newb questions rather then n00b questions
I was unaware of the distinction :P

Quote:
You roll once for each model in range.
So separately then? This could take some time against, say, Orks, but would be nice for hitting those special weapons buried in the squad. I could see some opponents objecting to this, though.

Quote:
IIRC, Nothing happens.
Phooey :'(

Quote:
Seeker missile on the skyray only
Hmm, I'm inclined to disagree here. If you check page 61 of the 5th Ed. rulebook, under 3 Damaged - Weapon Destroyed, it says, "This can include vehicle upgrades that function as weapons, such as pintle-mounted storm bolters or hunter-killer missiles." I would be inclined to think of our seeker missiles as homologues to the human hunter-killer missiles. The ramifications of this are that this 10 pt. upgrade could serve as a buffer against immobilization and vehicle destroyed results. Honestly, though, if unfired seeker missiles are all the weapons left on a vehicle, you might as well not have a vehicle. Meh, I'm just not a fan of seeker missiles.

Quote:
we have no TL-weapon on our vehicule
(sic)
Well, there's always forgeworld :
Old 10 Mar 2009, 01:22   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Ravager

Seekers can be destroyed by a weapon destroyed result (and people wonder why Sky Ray's are ignored…). It's always fun when someone rolls a weapon destroyed result, and you ask them "A burst cannon, or a seeker missile?" :P

If a T/L weapon is targeted for destruction, it is totally destroyed.

We have done the impossible... and that makes us mighty.
Firefly is pretty much made of Awesome, Funny, and Aww. Sometimes simultaneously. We'd better stop before we quote the entire script.
–tvtropes.org
Ravager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Mar 2009, 02:42   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravager Zero
Seekers can be destroyed by a weapon destroyed result (and people wonder why Sky Ray's are ignored…). It's always fun when someone rolls a weapon destroyed result, and you ask them "A burst cannon, or a seeker missile?" :P

You are giving them that option of a markerlight too, right?

Seventh Sanctum signature oddities.
Alignment: Neutral Pessimistic
Area of Magical Study: Practical Chronomancy
Favorite Spells: Divine Spell of the Cotton Candy Golem and Field of Bacon.

Proud supporter of Joe Wood!

Makes this your one good deed a day.
http://www.thehungersite.com/
enderwiggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Mar 2009, 07:03   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Ravager

Quote:
Originally Posted by enderwiggin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravager Zero

You are giving them that option of a markerlight too, right?
Oh yeah, both of the networked markerlights now too.
Can you tell it's been a while since I played…? :P

Still, they get to pick one of possibly ten, ten, weapons to destroy on a Sky Ray.
Good times.

We have done the impossible... and that makes us mighty.
Firefly is pretty much made of Awesome, Funny, and Aww. Sometimes simultaneously. We'd better stop before we quote the entire script.
–tvtropes.org
Ravager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Mar 2009, 14:55   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Boneguard Send a message via Yahoo to Boneguard

Quote:
Quote:
newb questions rather then n00b questions
I was unaware of the distinction :P
A newb is someone who starts. A n00b is someone whose been playing for a while but acts like an idiot and try ot pretend he doesn't know the rules.

Quote:
Quote:
Seeker missile on the skyray only
Hmm, I'm inclined to disagree here. If you check page 61 of the 5th Ed. rulebook, under 3 Damaged - Weapon Destroyed, it says, "This can include vehicle upgrades that function as weapons, such as pintle-mounted storm bolters or hunter-killer missiles." I would be inclined to think of our seeker missiles as homologues to the human hunter-killer missiles. The ramifications of this are that this 10 pt. upgrade could serve as a buffer against immobilization and vehicle destroyed results. Honestly, though, if unfired seeker missiles are all the weapons left on a vehicle, you might as well not have a vehicle. Meh, I'm just not a fan of seeker missiles.
I wasn't quite sure this my IIRC (if I recall correctly). But yeah Every seekers are to be taken individually.

Quote:
Quote:
we have no TL-weapon on our vehicule
(sic)
Well, there's always forgeworld :
True, but FW is always risky since your opponent does have some kind of say in it.

but other army does have TL weapons on some vehicule (ex Immolator).

I Invite you to join my collective story and to add to it.

My ascension to GODHOOD
Boneguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Mar 2009, 04:41   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Just want to make a clarification for a complex unit charging a fish with flechettes. You were talking about orks attacking, so here is how it would work if a 20 strong mob with 2 rokkits, and a nob attacked; assuming they could all engage.

roll 1 die for the nob
roll 2 dice for the rokkit boyz
roll 17 dice for the rest of the boyz

For every 4 you roll in each group, that group takes a wound, with armor saves allowed. You have the potential to wound, but not kill the nob, which is bad since he has the powerclaw. You can kill off both rokkit boyz, and all 17 regular boyz if you are lucky. Either way roughly eight will probably die.

scoutfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Mar 2009, 21:46   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Thanks for the clarification, Scoutfox!
I consider my questions answered satisfactorily.

Although I mentioned Orks (b/c I've faced them) I don't generally lean on FDs (though I still like to have them) to kill models and keep my vehicles alive when facing that particular army. They tend to die rather well to our S5 AP5 shots, of which we have plenty. Rather, I am more concerned with a friend who will be fielding Black Templar.
As may be apparent from my line of questioning, I was hoping to abuse the rule that forces them to advance on the nearest enemy when they lose models in the shooting phase by having my vehicles kite them around. Naturally, this leaves my vehicles open to assault.
As you have pointed out, this is a risky proposition when facing multi-wound models with high strength (powerfists, thunderhammers, etc. esp. now that assaults always hit our rear armor of 10). I am unlikely to use my hammerheads for this purpose. Or even my Warfish. But I think Piranhas might be well suited to the task.
Piranhas can move at cruising speed (causing assaults to hit only on 6s) without losing any firepower: they only have one weapon, and gun drones are permitted to fire any time the vehicle fires its weapons. Also, they are cheap (relatively) and I pretty much expect them to die. When they inevitably do, the gun drone squadron that appears could continue the task of kiting the Black Templar.
The only question that might be raised here would be what happens in a Piranha squadron where some vehicles are equipped with FDs and others not?