Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Tau discussions, Best tactics to take out Necrons.
Old 31 May 2005, 14:42   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via AIM to Dralok Send a message via MSN to Dralok
Default Tau discussions, Best tactics to take out Necrons.

* *I thought this would be an interesting post to get started, anyone who had played necrons and had success 8), please discuss your strategies so others can bask in your glories :P.

Heres what i got as a strategy that worked so far for me.
:-X* = downed necron
> = living necron
;D = crisis suit
8) = Shas'o
(the distances below might not be proportional)
* * So far, i havent actually played experienced necron players, just 4 games against necron players who were new. It was hard and i had to get the measurements just right or my attacks wouldnt work. I used FoF against 1 of his squads coming up the side.
> > > :-X :-X* * * * * * * *:-X :-X :-X :-X :-X
> > :-X :-X :-X* * * * * * * *:-X :-X :-X :-X :-X
* * * * * * * * * |------6"------|

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *(FoF) (FoF)* * the 2 squads from FoF, hammerhead, 3 broadsides and 8 pathfinders, shooting right squad
* * * * * * * * * * * * * *(HH)
* * * * * * * * * * * * *;D ;D*;D 8) (3Crisis w'1 Shas'o) Shooting at second squad using the 12" plasma rapid fire and fusion blaster to kill the necrons within 6" of the unit i was trying to kill.
(downed necrons dont count as necrons for determining if there are other necron units within 6" to get WBB rolls)

this is the only way i could destroy a squad without it getting WBB rolls' but its really hard to execute.

Shas'la-"Sir are you sure we shouldn't be running away from the Blood thirster?"
Shas'ui-"Of course not, dont you have complete faith in our ethreals? for the greater good... CHARGE!"

Dralok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2005, 14:46   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to Ui Veta
Default Re: Tau discussions, Best tactics to take out Necrons.

Lots of heavy weapons would work, like usual... Can't you mark his lord and use rails to splatter him?

Also, you can use kroot to outnumber them and cause extra wounds... please take note that kroot are pretty good in CC (compared to standard Tau) and DO have an armor save (for +1 point)
The Emperor is our guiding light, a beacon of hope for humanity in a galaxy of darkness. As we serve him, he is our greatest servant. As we pray to him, his thoughts are only for us. And in the dark when the shadows threaten, the Emperor is with us, in spirit and in fact.

Adore the Immortal Emperor; Admire the Immortal Emperor; Exalt the Immortal Emperor; Revere the Immortal Emperor; Venerate the Immortal Emperor; Honour the Immortal Emperor; Glorify the Immortal Emperor; Praise the Immortal Emperor; Hail the Immortal Emperor; Worship the Immortal Emperor
For without Him we are Nothing.
Ui Veta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2005, 14:53   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Does this help?
"i like to think of playing against my list as being like punching jelly. you put all your effort in but it just moves out of the way and you cause no damage. then your arm is covered in jelly. and the chicks come out and start wrestling in the jelly, and i drink a beer with stone cold steve austin, and we watch the chicks jelly wrestling, and then the slap-bass funk starts wakka chakka wakka wakka woh" -- Spooky, describing Mech Tau

"You can of course make a list that attempts to work via fragility and easy VP donation and Pathfinders fit into that just fine." -- kai
T0nkaTruckDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2005, 15:27   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Yes... Yes it does.

Shas'la-"Sir are you sure we shouldn't be running away from the Blood thirster?"
Shas'ui-"Of course not, dont you have complete faith in our ethreals? for the greater good... CHARGE!"

Old 31 May 2005, 16:42   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to 42

I have never played versus necrons...but my first step would be to take out any mobility they have. The most dangerous being a Necron Lord with a veil of darkness, or a monolith (which Tau can deal with superbly!). Then you should be able to outmaneuver the necrons fairly easily, all the time blazing away with the guns, moving to a new spot...taking more shots...moving, and et cetera.

Sure it would be tough, but you can always rely on superior speed when they don't have a monolith or Lord left...Then it is just a matter of dealing with the squads one by one.

Old 31 May 2005, 16:43   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dralok
* * Yes... Yes it does.*

Why the frowny face?!
"i like to think of playing against my list as being like punching jelly. you put all your effort in but it just moves out of the way and you cause no damage. then your arm is covered in jelly. and the chicks come out and start wrestling in the jelly, and i drink a beer with stone cold steve austin, and we watch the chicks jelly wrestling, and then the slap-bass funk starts wakka chakka wakka wakka woh" -- Spooky, describing Mech Tau

"You can of course make a list that attempts to work via fragility and easy VP donation and Pathfinders fit into that just fine." -- kai
T0nkaTruckDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2005, 17:37   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

TonkaTruckDriver 's link is great, I have printed that out a long time ago.

How many points are you playing? This information would greatly help because like 42 mentioned, a monolith may only be encountered in larger games.

I play Necrons quite a bit, sub 1000 point games, (750) mostly.

So in these small games, I know about. I would have to say the hardest is the Scarab Swarms, they move and fight same way as jetbikes and with turbo boost, they move up to 24" , (someone please verify the turbo boosting for me).
These Swarms would tie down my troops, they were sending 2 units of three bases each. They are so cheap, but if they make it to my lines (FW's) they tie them up for 2 to 3 turns. If you play total Mech, you can avoid that problem, but I was playing more static for Necrons because of our 30" range on my Pulse Rifles, I did with out DF and bought more FW's

I had to Submunition one unit of Scarab swarms and had my Shas'el take on the other.

From my experience, look for Scarab Swarms, Destroyers, and Wraiths. If you can give me the amount of points you are playing and I maybe able to help some, but the link above and the know your enemy at the best over all help.

Good Luck

WT

Eldar Blog http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=59588.0
My Non-Breaking Flying base for http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=59730.0
Wolf-Tau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2005, 17:54   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to Ui Veta

Ha ha, that makes me laugh...

Last week I played in a 1,000 pt game against Necrons. First turn, I took out his Monolith and 5 destroyers with my pathfinders and braodsides... needless to say he was pouty the rest of the game.

The thing I don't like i that the necron flayer has AP 4, leaving all my men to get mowed... :'(
The Emperor is our guiding light, a beacon of hope for humanity in a galaxy of darkness. As we serve him, he is our greatest servant. As we pray to him, his thoughts are only for us. And in the dark when the shadows threaten, the Emperor is with us, in spirit and in fact.

Adore the Immortal Emperor; Admire the Immortal Emperor; Exalt the Immortal Emperor; Revere the Immortal Emperor; Venerate the Immortal Emperor; Honour the Immortal Emperor; Glorify the Immortal Emperor; Praise the Immortal Emperor; Hail the Immortal Emperor; Worship the Immortal Emperor
For without Him we are Nothing.
Ui Veta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2005, 22:06   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by T0nkaTruckDriver
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dralok
* * Yes... Yes it does.*

Why the frowny face?!
* *i just thought that you putting that link with all that info there would stop people from adding their input into this "discussion" .

I know fighting against them is tough, but has anyone other than me done a 2 on 2 game where it is my tau, friends necrons vs. 2 space marine armies.? each army 1000pts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ui Veta
Ha ha, that makes me laugh...

Last week I played in a 1,000 pt game against Necrons. First turn, I took out his Monolith and 5 destroyers with my pathfinders and braodsides... needless to say he was pouty the rest of the game.

The thing I don't like i that the necron flayer has AP 4, leaving all my men to get mowed...* :'(
Did he deepstike his monolith? cause it happens alot when a monolith gets deepstruck right next to my broadsides so they get assaulted right as it comes in.

Old 31 May 2005, 23:20   #10 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Necrons are possibly the most difficult for Tau. Str 5 weapons don't hold much weight if your enemy can make WBB rolls. I do however have a decent strategy for taking out Crons, once their monolith is taken out (not a hard task given Railheads and Broadsides)

If your opponant uses the standard phalanx formation (like so)
1 2 3 4
xxxxx xxxxx xxxxx xxxxx
xxxxx xxxxx xxxxx xxxxx
| | | |
v v v v

|||TAU BATTLE LINE|||

As they move towards you, target a flank. For this example I shall target the left flank. Advance gun drone squadrons or kroot to assault the right flank. I preffer drones as they are generally more durable, but arguably kroot have more numbers to soak up damage. I will explain the purpose of this later. Next, advance your Crisis Squads to harass Squad 2, and support them with your Hammerhead / Broadsides. Next, FoF squad 1, prefferably withmore than two squads. Hopefully, 24+ rapid firing plasma pulses will be enough to drop the squad, but realisticly it is not, so I suggest adding a squad of Stealth Teams for fire support. With the injuries inflicted in Squad 2, it is possible that Squad 1 is not within 6" of any standing Necron Warriors, denying them any WBB rolls. The purpose of the kroot/drones is to tangle up the other two (or how ever many other squads) in close combat to prevent them from firing upon your fishies, as they are innevitably good at detroying tanks with massed fire.

When taking down Crons, it is best to work from the inside out, and isolate their squads to deny them WBB rolls.
Muddy is offline   Reply With Quote